Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the diff in a CPR8E and a DCPR8E besides the D smart a$$es, I ordered plugs and used the sites application chart and they sent me the CPR instead ofthe DCPR.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
gromage1 said:
Anyone know the diff in a CPR8E and a DCPR8E besides the D smart a$$es, I ordered plugs and used the sites application chart and they sent me the CPR instead ofthe DCPR.
The CPR is a 10mm thread and the DCPR would be the correct 12mm.

Since AMSOIL started carrying NGK I have received a bunch of info on these. Check out page 5 on the attachment below for part number breakdown.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Hey Ken useful info. Spooky as I just purchased a set of the Iridium IX plugs from a UK dealer. Can you confirm the part number for a VRSCA? I think the Uk ref was 2916?? Just want to make sure I ordered the correct plugs!

No Amsoil dealers in the UK yet :(

·
Rollin' Hills
769 Posts
o2man98 said:
The CPR is a 10mm thread and the DCPR would be the correct 12mm.

Since AMSOIL started carrying NGK I have received a bunch of info on these. Check out page 5 on the attachment below for part number breakdown.
Ken- First-off, thanks for your great service with my oil! Do you carry the spark plugs for my 03'?, and what would you charge? Thanks-Bob

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Rollin' Hills said:
Ken- First-off, thanks for your great service with my oil! Do you carry the spark plugs for my 03'?, and what would you charge? Thanks-Bob
Bob, I am glad you are satisfied with your oil.

Yes, I would be able to do NGK plugs for your 03 and any other V-Rod out there. I think I have access to over 700 part numbers from NGK. HOWEVER, to be totally honest with you, it is going to be cost prohibitive to order 2 spark plugs for your bike by themselves. The plugs would be $3.45ea at my dealer cost for forum members, but when you factor in shipping and such the total price close to doubles. Now if you were to order along with oil, for example, it would be a great deal because the plugs are light weight and would ship just about free. :deal:

It is all about consolidating orders if possible.

Skinbo said:
Hey Ken useful info. Spooky as I just purchased a set of the Iridium IX plugs from a UK dealer. Can you confirm the part number for a VRSCA? I think the Uk ref was 2916?? Just want to make sure I ordered the correct plugs!
The Iridium plug that NGK shows for the V-Rod is the 6546 which is a DCPR8EIX.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Unless someone can show me proof to the contrary I would NOT run the iridium or any other fine wire plug on the V-Rod. Fine wire pligs have a different resistance characteristic that MAY, I repeat MAY cause problems with the Ion Sensing circuit the ECM uses for knock detection. In addition, the fine wire plugs are very fragile and considering a few people have had electrode issues I would not want to risk it in the V-Rod, especially considering you will gain NOTHING by running Iridium plugs except a thinner wallet.

Just my :2cents:, YMMV ;)

Also, there are 2 versions of the standard plug, the DCPR8E (Stock # 4339) and the DCPR8E SOLID (Stock # 4179). If possible, make sure you get the SOLID version to prevent the top from vibrating loose down the road.

I've found this site to be pretty good http://www.ngk.com/default.asp. It's not their corporate site, it's a sales site but the info is reliable.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
mjw930 said:
Unless someone can show me proof to the contrary I would NOT run the iridium or any other fine wire plug on the V-Rod. Fine wire pligs have a different resistance characteristic that MAY, I repeat MAY cause problems with the Ion Sensing circuit the ECM uses for knock detection. In addition, the fine wire plugs are very fragile and considering a few people have had electrode issues I would not want to risk it in the V-Rod, especially considering you will gain NOTHING by running Iridium plugs except a thinner wallet.

Just my :2cents:, YMMV ;)

Also, there are 2 versions of the standard plug, the DCPR8E (Stock # 4339) and the DCPR8E SOLID (Stock # 4179). If possible, make sure you get the SOLID version to prevent the top from vibrating loose down the road.

I've found this site to be pretty good http://www.ngk.com/default.asp. It's not their corporate site, it's a sales site but the info is reliable.
This is good info and I have to agree with it. I would prefer to see members use and I will use the Standard style plug. The reason for me listing the Iridium plug number was to provide the correct number to the member above as it appears there was an error.

The actual NGK site is here: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/index.asp
Good Spark Plug reading here: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/index.asp?mode=nml

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are going to order NGK plugs through Amsoil make sure you do it through Ken , the application selector on the Amsoil site is wrong. At least for the Standard plug.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
So whats the difference between the NGK plugs and the Screamin Eagle plugs? Is there a cross reference to a Bosch Platinum plug? Bosch platinum +4 plugs are recommended by Porsche in their race cars which I"m currently running now in my 951. I use NGK plugs in all my aircraft (two stroke) and have never had a flame out (engine quit). I'm very happy with both manufactures. I'm not crazy about Champion.

·
Silver Bullet
540 Posts
Ken,

While I have not bought oil from you, I am very impressed with all the help you offer the forum members. While it is not a big deal to me which oil I use, I think there is value in supporting those who support others.

·
The Hawk
3,895 Posts
Bruce Helland said:
Please explain.....
:them: Yes, please elaborate on that, I ran those plugs a lot in my turbo setup and my stock and big bore motors too. No issues for me, except when I melted the electrode off a couple when getting to lean with the turbo.

Mike

·
Can U See me now
1,672 Posts

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
I am using the NGK plugs and NO issues.
As a matter of fact I purchase them from scott and they are the iridians and I have no issues (with the plugs) haha !

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
that was my fault.dug that old thread up in a search and posted before looking at the date.would still like an answer.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Dudes...

you should NOT say stuff like that without an explanation..i have been useing ngk plugs without issues.please tell us why you believe what you say.
please explain. we have run ngk`s in our v-rod with good results and i have always run ngk`s in my race kawasaki`s.
Do you sell plugs for Champion? Just askin.
This NGK bashing was stated Two and a Half years ago!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts