Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...new guy here!!! I just bought a used 09 Muscle that is completley stock except the Vance and Hines Competition series slip ons.
I had the bike at the dealer for a 2000km check and they suggested to me that the slight rpm surge I have at idle was attributed to the aftermarket exhaust.
They also thought that a fuel controller or remap migbht be best.
It was my understanding that the ecu could compensate for the slip-ons as long as the rest remained stock? Am I right?
I never got the stock exhaust so going back to it isn't an option.
The surge is very very slight. Should I just drive 'er?
On another note, I bought a bike with a 2yr warranty only to have my dealer tell me that my "clunky" front end is not a warranty issuebut a maintenance issue WTF? I guess its not too hard to offer 2 yr warranties when you get to choose what you cover. I guess at 1800 km's I'm the one who is supposed to torque down steering heads. I'm not loving my first HD so far...........
Any insight on the exhaust question is appreciated.......

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
yeah dude, i had the v&h slip ons and had that same annoying rpm surge. that was my first clue that it wasn't running right. are you getting deceleration backfiring? that's another clue that the motor isn't tuned right. (btw, i exeprienced those issues after they tuned it with my race tuner and i had the upgraded air cleaner)

i fixed the problem by going back to stock. i know you do not have that option. did you get a race tuner with the bike? if you bought it with those pipes i find it hard to believe there isn't a race tuner with it? if not, you will need one. air filter?

if it isnt running right, the dealership is obligated, IMO, to correct it, at no cost to you.

good luck.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
if the dealer is unwilling to work with you then I would contact the MOCO and get them involved... You might be surprised at what getting the MOCO involved in disputes can get issues corrected.

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
warranty work does not cost the dealership a penny... they make money on the labor and get the parts free....... the only person you should talk to about warranty work is the service manager.. if you don't like what he tells you then contact moco and ask for the regional warranty person... They should get involved then...

there is a very small percentage of members here who think it is OK to put the slip-ons with no tuner.... the overwhelming majority feel a tuner is needed...

there are many choices..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.