Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum is terriffic. I have found a lot of information that has helped with my recent V-rod purchase. 3 weeks ago I bought a 2003 100th Anniv V-rod. The bike I have been riding for the last 15 years was a '77 KZ-650( striaght 4 cyl). The V-rod is a whole different riding style, being so long and raked out. Last weekend I was out for a 3 hour ride. Some sections had some good twisties. I could use some tips on cornering.

I scared the *?#* out of myself be scraping the pegs a few times. On the left it was just the front peg. On the right it was the peg and the bottom muffler. I recovered OK, but was worried about where the line is between just dragging the peg, and having the tires slip out from under you ( especially on the right side).

I suspect some advice will be " slow down", but that isn't much fun.

Thanks for your tips,

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
It scrapes pretty easy but is still sure footed. I have scraped the pegs, exhaust, frame,& radiator shroud it has never tried to get loose. That being said I'm sure there is a fine line you can cross and bust your a$$.

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
These bikes will lean over quite nice without having to worry about the tire. You can scrape the cans and still have plenty of rubber left. The stock 180 is nice, but you may want to consider bumping up to a 200. You may have to remove the luggage brackets under the tail and modify your belt guards, but the extra rubber can be quite comforting. Just an option.

·
GA. BOY
2,462 Posts
and welcome to the forum, i have scraped lotr of parts on the rod and never got loose

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
It will startle you the first few times it happens, then later you just ride on. I nearly wrecked after over-correcting the 2d time I scraped a peg.

·
Sua Sponte
1,560 Posts
Yeah, it'll pucker your a$$ the first time but it really takes a lot to take the bike from under you, as everyone else has said. I tend to not lean over that much because I really hate scratches!

·
Registered
234 Posts
First of all, :vrodforu:
Dark_HD_07 said:
... The stock 180 is nice, but you may want to consider bumping up to a 200. ... Just an option.
Any significant loss in cornering 'cause isn't that typically the trade-off by going to a wider tire?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yeah, the last thing I want to do is scratch the bike. Otherwise I'm replacing parts. Just have to be careful. I'm trying to get used to this as well because I was riding a sportbike before and never had to worry about this.

·
Sua Sponte
1,560 Posts
sudolg said:
Yeah, the last thing I want to do is scratch the bike. Otherwise I'm replacing parts. Just have to be careful. I'm trying to get used to this as well because I was riding a sportbike before and never had to worry about this.
Yeah, I have done the opposite. I still have my NIght Rod but I also got a Buell Firebolt and its a whole new can of worms. I'm still getting used to being able to shift in a corner without dragging my foot on the blacktop.

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
3cube said:
First of all, :vrodforu:

Any significant loss in cornering 'cause isn't that typically the trade-off by going to a wider tire?
I could be wrong as I'm not an engineer, but I think once you go past 200 is where you start to notice the trade off. I ran both a 180 and 190 on my CBR. My cornering was much lower with the 190. The tire maintained a similar size contact patch as the 180, but I had a little more rubber to roll over on. Beyond 200mm, it seems that the tires start to get quite a bit flatter, therefore increasing the contact patch. The amount of usable rubber in a corner doesn't appear to increase though.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Get a 240 kit and some air shocks--then pump those shocks full and it'll raise your bike up a bit.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Had the same problem (switched from Crotch Rocket), first time I took a turn at a good speed I actually dragged the toe of my shoe and then peg, scared the crap out of me... But now I've taken it through some passes in the canyon at good speed and will actually try and scrap the pegs for a sec just to see the limits. But Im sure its gotta be hard to low side these bikes unless your draggin more than pegs...

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
"Some" people with forward controls scrape the heels of their boots a lot, right Juggy?...

Fontana08-18-2007020_original.jpg

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Some people need to learn to pick up their feet...:D But seriously, Wink, you can drag a lot of 'soft' parts on these bikes before you're in danger of losing traction. Most just don't like dragging that expensive chrome on the asphalt. I wouldn't worry about it until you start dragging hard parts like the rear frame rails that support the tank...then it's probably time to reassess the situation. Boots are expendable.:angeldev:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Me TOO

That is hilarious, I just traded off my 06 Gixxer 750 for a VROD and had the same problem on the first couple of rides. Yeah it scared the hell out of me too, after years of knee scraping the jap bikes. It takes some getting used to. I have rode sportbikes my whole life and the VROD is a big change, but a welcomed one, I love this thing and am riding to training today about 2 1/2 hours away. Good Luck and keep the shiny side up.

:moped:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts