Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy my first bike and I have a few questions. I am looking to get the 2010 VRSCF w/ the ABS option. The salesman spent about 20 minutes trying to convince me why I should not get the ABS option. Ive done some research and I'm convinced that it is a must.

Anyway the dealership will not budge on the MSRP price and they are trying to give me a ridiculous interest rate. I am putting over 10% down and told them I would put 35% down to lower the interest rate and they still wont do any type of dealing. Anyone have any suggestions or insight that can get me some leverage to deal with? Also, was told the 2011 models should be in about 20 days. Should I wait to see if the 2010 models drop in price? Does HD ever have any sales? I just dont want to ride off on a bike while my a-hole is burning from them screwing me. I dont want to pay MSRP for the bike either. They would not even throw in any riding gear. I know salesman get pretty desperate at the end of the month, should I wait till then?

TIA for any responses.

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
wait or go somewhere else

they got some balls sometimes and leaving might teach them a lesson

·
09 vrscf
203 Posts
Motorcycles are consider a luxury item... So most financial institutions will rake you over hot coals to finance one. Your best bet for some descent financing might be a credit union. I got 5% interest rate when I bought mine. My main banking institution could not do any better than the dealer. Would think your bank where you finance your home and have your paychecks deposited would be able to beat it easy, but nope they didn't. HD financing is ridiculous.....10% what a joke....and that was with a 6k down payment and 740+credit score.... I laughed at them....Good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm guessing my credit score isn't perfect cause they want to give me 20%. I was once told that a dealership will add multiple points to an interest rate and they pocket that. I even offered to put 35% down payment and they would not even call HD financing. I know I don't have bad credit cause I've never been late with payments and I have a great debt to income ratio. I think they know I can afford to pay for the bike and they are trying to screw every penny out of me. This dealership is new and huge. Overhead must be astronomical.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
You will soon discover that Most HD dealerships are Run by Con men and inept morons who know very little to nothing about anything on their floor or in the HD line up. And its NOT just when related to the Vrod (although that is a Whole different Level of stupidity as you have now found out) I knew More about the 883 Iron I was helping my Gurlfriend buy than they guy selling it at 3 dealers. I finally found a Good dealership with a good staff 50 miles away. Do yourself a favor and Go elsewhere, as many as you can and find out what they are offering and NEVER say things like "I Am in Love with THIS BIke" Or "I need This Bike" etc.... I know its 2010 but the weaselly Salesmen are still alive an well, especially at HD dealers.

·
Registered
69 Posts
live in st louis mo, dealt with every hd dealer here in town and surrounding area, and bought mine in IL, got a great rate through a credit union that they [teds hd of alton] recommened, so it may pay to go the xtra mile to find a good hd dealership with good people, just my 2 cents

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
I'm guessing my credit score isn't perfect cause they want to give me 20%. I was once told that a dealership will add multiple points to an interest rate and they pocket that. I even offered to put 35% down payment and they would not even call HD financing. I know I don't have bad credit cause I've never been late with payments and I have a great debt to income ratio. I think they know I can afford to pay for the bike and they are trying to screw every penny out of me. This dealership is new and huge. Overhead must be astronomical.
I'd walk. Full retail price on a bike that doesn't sell very well is a joke. 20% interest is an insult, and trying to talk you out of ABS is nothing but stupid. Tell them to go to hell and find a dealer that isn't a thief.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Listen to that little voice inside you, the one that told you NOT to do that skanky blond chic? How did that work out for you? He told you you last time you'd get screwed, but not in a good way. He's telling you the same thing here. SO LISTEN TO HIM THIS TIME!!!!!

MSRP for 2010 this late in the model year, this late in the sales month, in this economy? SAY NO!!!

20% interest? NO!!! Might as well put it on a credit card. Get your financing in place before you talk to the dealer and ask for a set price. My credit union offered 110% MSRP financing (so whatever you paid under that you still had instant money for mods), less than 10% and when the VIN came up "Harley" THE INTEREST RATE DROPPED ANOTHER 2 POINTS.

There are other dealers, they have the same bike, in the same color and at least a Grand cheaper. Shop around and get a better deal.

As for the ABS...............It's a must buy! Don't let an idiot talk you out of it.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
They must have an F on the floor without ABS they want to dump.
It's a bad economy and the 11's are on their way, this deal should be a bit more workable. As far as the interest rate, unless you've have issues before and/or a bad or no credit rating you should get a descent rate.
Last month I got 4.5% on a 3/4 ton van, unheard of for a commercial loan. Keep in mind the banks are hurting also so they need the business.

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
1. we use the word "stealership" to say dealership.
2. "The single most powerful tool for wining a negotiation is the ability to walk away from the table without a deal." H Mackay

You are considering financing thru the stealership? They will bend you over sans lube on financing. Can you go to bank? You are free to obtain financing elsewhere. Do it.

What is your out the door price? You should check HD website, take the list price for the F there, look under 'specs & pricing' to get freight, security and possibly the ABS option price. Tally that up, add sales tax and you shouldn't be paying a penny more than that total. Show them how you arrived at your number and they will give it to you. If not, walk. AND do not get financing thru the stealership!

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
RE: ABS option

I have an 09 F and do not have ABS. I didn't really care about ABS. I've been in a devastating crash and walked away unharmed. (a miracle for sure) I have about 20 years riding experience now. I've locked brakes on wet pavement before and slid a little...I guess what I'm getting at is that if your ABS kicks in your probably going to crash regardless of ABS firing or not. It just seems....superfluous?

·
Registered
186 Posts
They are offering 1% financing on VRods now, see about getting that.

Shop for a dealer.

And if you can't get the 1% financing from a dealer, shop for financing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Buy a used vrod and pay cash, Its never a good idea to finance a toy.I paid 8000.00 for a 04 A with 3000 miles, There out there

·
Registered
179 Posts
Dollarz81 - I don't understand, if you have never been late with a payment you basically should have tier 1 or close to it credit when they run your credit report, 20% is a joke! I bought a 2010 AW 3 weeks ago and the dealer also took $2,000 off and no charge for the security option. As folks mentioned, HD is offering 1% financing if you have good credit... Just walk and find a better dealership....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Listen to that little voice inside you, the one that told you NOT to do that skanky blond chic? How did that work out for you? He told you you last time you'd get screwed, but not in a good way. He's telling you the same thing here. SO LISTEN TO HIM THIS TIME!!!!!
Yeah ... listen, 'cause I didn't. Now I've got to explain to the ol' lady why it burns when i piss ......

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all of the advice. I am going to my credit union tomorrow to get a loan. I won't be going back to that dealership.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
RE: ABS option

I have an 09 F and do not have ABS. I didn't really care about ABS. I've been in a devastating crash and walked away unharmed. (a miracle for sure) I have about 20 years riding experience now. I've locked brakes on wet pavement before and slid a little...I guess what I'm getting at is that if your ABS kicks in your probably going to crash regardless of ABS firing or not. It just seems....superfluous?
You lucked out.

Without ABS, if you lock up the rear tire, it will try to pass you;good luck with that. If you lock up the front tire you will go down almost instantly; now you are braking with sparking metal and burning flesh.

ABS modulates the brakes faster and more efficiently than any human ever could regardless of road friction (wet, oily, snowy, sand, gravel, snot, etc.)

If you are going to crash either way, wouldn't you rather hit at the lowest possible speed and in control rather than a little faster and out of control?

Folks, get the ABS if you can!!!! It is hardly superfluous.

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
capncarp,

Thank you for posting the info on ABS. I was woefully ignorant on the subject. Anything one can do to improve safety is worth it.

cheers!

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Thanks for all of the advice. I am going to my credit union tomorrow to get a loan. I won't be going back to that dealership.
JUst because one dealership was bad doesn't mean the next will be any better. Stay on your guard and dont fall for their crap.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts