Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 CVO V-Rod. Around 15,000-ish miles on it. At the end of last riding season, I noticed something that I'm not sure about. When bike is at operating temp, idle bounces up and down quite a bit. Didn't worry about it as it ran very well when riding and never stalled. However, the concerning issue surfaced towards the end of the year - when I ride for a bit, I smell alot of raw gas when I park.Was enough that I'd have to leave the garage door open so the fumes wouldn't build up. There's no leak or drips or drops of fuel on the floor or anything. I did notice that if I filled the tank too much, when the fuel warmed and expanded, it would leave a puddle. I don't know much about bikes, but I was an aircraft mechanic in a previous life and that was a common occurance after fuelling a plane. Anyway, I tried to research here, but it seemed I was going a million different ways on what I should inspect/repair. Was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction. I was thinking maybe the IAT needs replaced to fix the idle issue, but no idea where to even start as far as the fuel smell. Would REALLY appreciate any input. If anyone is in the Pittsburgh area, I'll happily supply the beer to take a look!
Also - another question - how do you read the computer mapping or error codes? Is there an OBDII connector on these? I have a code reader for my car.....
Again - thanks in advance for any help!!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would check your oil for any gas that may have diluted it first. It could be a sticking injector. Perhaps the IAT as you mentioned. I am not going to pretend to be an expert on these random fuel issues. Sometimes it seems like you chase your tail. Try the simple stuff first. Narrow it down and rule out items 1 by 1.. Not much of an answer but it's the best I got right now. As far as reading codes..............

The IM (instrument module) is capable of displaying DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes).

1- Ignition off
2- push odometer reset button in & hold. Make sure run switch is on.
3- turn ignition to run and release button (you will see P, S &C displayed)
4- each letter represents an area of diagnostics... the one that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter to the next, you push the button one time. (from P to S to C and back to P, etc.)
5- to get DTC within an area, you push and hold the button in for 5 seconds and if there are any, it will be displayed... you can release the button. As you push the button again, other codes will appear if they are there. If there are not any the word 'none' appears.
6- Record the codes.
7- To determine if a code is current or historic, you clear the codes while being displayed by pushing in and holding the button until 'clear' comes up. Turn off the ignition... then crank or restart the bike... turn off, and then repeat the code process. If a code is there now, its current... if not, it was historic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would check your oil for any gas that may have diluted it first. It could be a sticking injector. Perhaps the IAT as you mentioned. I am not going to pretend to be an expert on these random fuel issues. Sometimes it seems like you chase your tail. Try the simple stuff first. Narrow it down and rule out items 1 by 1.. Not much of an answer but it's the best I got right now. As far as reading codes..............

The IM (instrument module) is capable of displaying DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes).

1- Ignition off
2- push odometer reset button in & hold. Make sure run switch is on.
3- turn ignition to run and release button (you will see P, S &C displayed)
4- each letter represents an area of diagnostics... the one that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter to the next, you push the button one time. (from P to S to C and back to P, etc.)
5- to get DTC within an area, you push and hold the button in for 5 seconds and if there are any, it will be displayed... you can release the button. As you push the button again, other codes will appear if they are there. If there are not any the word 'none' appears.
6- Record the codes.
7- To determine if a code is current or historic, you clear the codes while being displayed by pushing in and holding the button until 'clear' comes up. Turn off the ignition... then crank or restart the bike... turn off, and then repeat the code process. If a code is there now, its current... if not, it was historic.
Moler - Thanks a million for your help. I just keep getting twisted up when I'm searching for help and feel like I'm going in 50 different directions!!! Will take a shot at the codes tomorrow evening - be prepared for more questions!!! HAHA Thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Vrods and other fuel injected Harleys use an idle air solenoid to control idle up to 3000 rpm, had one go bad on my 2006 VRSCR, dealer couldn't tell me why it labored from idle to 3000 rpm. Go figure, fixed it myself …….. they had a lot of problems on the earlier models. As far as the gas leak, you might want to check the tank vent system ? There are videos on youtube on how to control just about all the functions.

I have an 05 CVO V-Rod. Around 15,000-ish miles on it. At the end of last riding season, I noticed something that I'm not sure about. When bike is at operating temp, idle bounces up and down quite a bit. Didn't worry about it as it ran very well when riding and never stalled. However, the concerning issue surfaced towards the end of the year - when I ride for a bit, I smell alot of raw gas when I park.Was enough that I'd have to leave the garage door open so the fumes wouldn't build up. There's no leak or drips or drops of fuel on the floor or anything. I did notice that if I filled the tank too much, when the fuel warmed and expanded, it would leave a puddle. I don't know much about bikes, but I was an aircraft mechanic in a previous life and that was a common occurance after fuelling a plane. Anyway, I tried to research here, but it seemed I was going a million different ways on what I should inspect/repair. Was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction. I was thinking maybe the IAT needs replaced to fix the idle issue, but no idea where to even start as far as the fuel smell. Would REALLY appreciate any input. If anyone is in the Pittsburgh area, I'll happily supply the beer to take a look!
Also - another question - how do you read the computer mapping or error codes? Is there an OBDII connector on these? I have a code reader for my car.....
Again - thanks in advance for any help!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've got a feeling you have a fuel pressure leak. You will have to test the pressure and see if its holding 60 or so psi. If it doesn't hold and the.pressure goes to zero rapidly, I would remove the fuel tank cap and check for a disconnected fuel line. You could have a faulty flange cap, there is a service bulletin on that for some time now. Harley wont pay for it. Check that first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
IAT would be more prone to starting issues, being that the ECU would deliver too much or not enough fuel on a cold or hot start. The Idle Air solenoids (#6) in early models were prone to the pintle unscrewing causing many issues. I've posted a pic of the fuel system, not much to it. if there's a leak it should be visible. Otherwise, it's a venting issue, fuel cap or tank vent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, folks!!! Gonna check all the info this evening (I'm at work). VERY grateful for all your input!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts