Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there information where i can read about what EFI's do and differences between different kinds? is there a big difference between one that cost $300 and once thats $900? I'm not sure what else i should ask or know about them.

thanks

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
is there information where i can read about what EFI's do and differences between different kinds? is there a big difference between one that cost $300 and once thats $900? I'm not sure what else i should ask or know about them.

thanks
You're in the right section. Read, read, then read some more. You'll find a wide verity of opinions, and some very useful information. In a nut shell, it's like this.
Stock ECM. If it's an 08 or later, the stock system is better than most people credit. Max out the O2 sensor bias tables and your bike will run like a top as long as it's near stock.
PC-III. Outdated, don't bother unless you get it cheap.
PC-V. Add the autotune unit and it's pretty good.
Thundermax. A complete replacement ECM. Self tuning. Most people love it, a few can't seem to get it to work right.
VRFID. Complete ECM replacement. Self tuning.
Mastertune. A tuning tool, appears to work very well but takes some time.
There are a few others that I haven't heard anything about.

If you tell us what you want to do, we'll give you as many opinions as there are people here.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Malcomx,

I have an '07 AW. It has aftermarket piles and looks like the air filter and everything else is stock. I'd like to use an auto tuner if its going to make my bike run better. I've talk to a a couple people that have them and they say it made a big improvement. I talked to the Harley dealer and they said its a waste of money and htere is no noticeable improvement. One guy I that had one paid $300 and said its just as good as the more expensive ones but I forgot what model it was.

I bought my V-Rod used in July and a friend of mine got an 06 street rod at about the same time. About a month after he had it the dealer mailed him a power commander that they found that the guy who traded it in had. Now this guy goes around telling everyone is bike is now a screaming eagle with at 1350cc.

Do all the tuners you listed above pretty much do the same thing?

Here is another question a little off topic. I heard that Harley can hook the bike up to a computer and do something to the engine that makes the engine a screaming eagle and it cost $1000. Do you know anything about that?

·
Noel
4,598 Posts
Here is another question a little off topic. I heard that Harley can hook the bike up to a computer and do something to the engine that makes the engine a screaming eagle and it cost $1000. Do you know anything about that?
Welcome, in what part of Massachusetts are you?

The Dealer can hook the bike to SEPTST screaming Eagle Performance Super Tuner, this is a package of computer software, a interface box which is either black or orange, and interconnecting cables.

As a casual customer (you) they will sell you the box portion of the system, they have the cables & software, their professional tuning expert will flash you bikes ECM with settings that allow select hardware (AIR Cleaner, Exhaust, Injectors, Cams) on your bike to work at optimum performance.

Between the equipment and the time spent by the technician you might end up spending as much as a grand.

In the end though it does NOT make a STOCK engine a Screaming Eagle with out related hard part changes. :broke:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in Peabody. we should go riding some time but my bike is at HD of Boston for the winter. I dumped it and there fixing it and i might as well let them hang onto it til February or March.

check out this web site: http://www.meetup.com/BostonAreaMotorcycleRiders/
its a group of people i found to ride with. They do some great rides. We are going to plan a SaddleSore 1000 for next season. 1000 miles in 24 hours or less.

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
B-Rod, do a lot of research before you buy anything. I am using the PC3 with good results but it is now outdated. The autotunes from what I read on here work very well for most. I have no direct knowledge of them but I believe they require O2 sensors. Does your bike have them? Most of the plug in boxes or "Fuelers" require a lot of tinkering to get just right or a good MAP (program) borrowed from someone. There is a Map sharing thread on here somewhere. If you have the extra coin you can take your bike and get if profesionally tuned like I did. I will not say my bike runs like a 1350 but it did pick up quite a nice gain in HP and TQ. (I also have a K&N filter and CFR pipe). The stuff from HD keeps you tied to the dealer since they are, for the most part, the only one that can work on it.
You will find a ton of info on here and also catch modification flu if you are not careful. Mod flu is not fatal but will certainly empty your wallet. There a lot of good folks on here and you can find answers to almost anything about your ride. Check out the search function.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I have an '07AW and run the ThunderMax with Auto-tune without issue. Do yourself a favor and don't ask you dealer questions regarding the VROD. You're better off posting your questions here and doing your research here. You won't always like the answers you get, but we aren't trying to take money out of your pocket like the dealer.

·
Noel
4,598 Posts
I'm in Peabody. we should go riding some time but my bike is at HD of Boston for the winter. I dumped it and there fixing it and i might as well let them hang onto it til February or March.
Damn sorry to hear about the bike, Keep an eye on this section for New England area get together of Vrods.

I'll be spending a lot of my weekends next spring, summer & fall racing, if you're interested come up to New England Dragway sometime.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pwrman - I dont know if i have O2 sensors. I think my bike is all stock except for the pipes.

AOW - You have a Thunder Max and Auto Tune? I thought all thes were Auto Tuers. So they are two different things? I guess i have a lot to learn.

TaxmanHog - Some idot in a car was turning left and as I went around them they shot out straight and to avoid them and a parked car I went down. I still can't beleive it happend. I'll definetly head up to NE Dragway. So i take it your V-Rod is for racing.

·
Can U See me now
1,672 Posts
What's outdated with a pc3? once installed, and tuned you should be good to go. Bought mine used. Once properly tuned good to go.
However, if you don't find a free map on here it will cost ya about 300 to have your bike tuned in addition to the cost of the pc3. Hmmm, I guess they are outdated. lol.

·
Noel
4,598 Posts
TaxmanHog - Some idot in a car was turning left and as I went around them they shot out straight and to avoid them and a parked car I went down. I still can't beleive it happend. I'll definetly head up to NE Dragway. So i take it your V-Rod is for racing.
Left turners have nearly killed me twice in my 30+ years of riding, what I mean by that is an accident/collision occurred that I survived. God knows how many near misses. I hope you did not get hurt too bad, bikes are repairable! :angelwin:

I had been racing my 2004 VRSCA as seen in the avatar the past 3 or so years. I have gotten addicted to the thrill of the run as well as the skill need to execute a winning run, (I'm working on that part) :chair:

Next year I will be on a 2006 VRXSE (Destroyer) which is a track only dedicated VROD.

If your interested in RACING, let me know, be happy the facilitate another addiction :angeldev:

Spring can't come soon enough....

·
Registered
821 Posts
So it's outdated because it won't auto tune? That sounds fair, but I'm not sure it's worth the cost of a new unit, O2 sensors, and having the exhaust modified just to get that feature. Maybe if you're planning on doing a bunch of mods down the road or running some kind of major power adder, but I can't see spending the time and money to 'fix' something that's not broken.

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
So it's outdated because it won't auto tune? That sounds fair, but I'm not sure it's worth the cost of a new unit, O2 sensors, and having the exhaust modified just to get that feature. Maybe if you're planning on doing a bunch of mods down the road or running some kind of major power adder, but I can't see spending the time and money to 'fix' something that's not broken.
If your bike runs well with a PC-III there is no point in changing it. But, if you're out shopping for a tuner there is no reason to consider the PC-III. The PC-V does everything the III does, costs the same, is smaller and upgradeable to autotune.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Can the PC-V be used on my 2003 VRSCA? According to Dynojet,s site the option i get when selecting bike and year is the PC lll USB only.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just an FYI Schumacher,

When I went to buy my PC-V for my 08, the Dynojet site didn’t list it as an option as well, only the PCIII. However my mechanic said the PC-V would work just fine for my bike. I also called Dynojet and talked to someone in technical support and he also said he didn’t see a reason why it shouldn’t work but couldn’t guarantee it. The other thing he said was they didn’t offer any maps with the PC-V for and 08. My advice is to call Dynojet or go to a local bike shop (not a HD dealer) to talk to someone. One thing to remember when you go to a HD dealer they are going to tell you, you HAVE to run the PCIII only because they are outdated and they are trying to get rid of what they have in stock.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was just doing some googling and it seems a lot of people have questioned the PC-V on pre-09 bikes. Fuel Moto posted a response in regards to the retrofit on hdforums:

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...-fuel-injection/309881-power-commander-v.html

"Hello, there are no concerns as far as the retrofit unit. Dynojet only offers the PC V and support for 2009 models, however Fuel Moto offers the 07-08 unit as a retrofit unit (with Dynojets approval) and we provide warranty and support on them. There are differences in the map formats as well as mounting procedure from PC III. There are some very good positives with the PC V, especially it's much smaller size."

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
http://www.electronicjetkit.com/Harley/viewproduct.asp?partnumber=8120080 maybe you would interested in one of these. i'll be blasphemed for recommending a "pigghyback" type of fuel management. but its the only type of fuel management i've used and its performed flawlessly. matter a fact if they were not reliable how could i have won a motorcycle championship with one on my 06 D model. i have 4 of them on area motocross 250cc suzukis and hondas that win consitantly on the victory arena motocross series. with riders Robbie Horton(pro250cc 2010rmz suzuki) and young Brian Waunch(collageboy crf250f 2010 honda) if you have any question don't hesitate to ask or send question to tech support on the EJK website.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts