Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, This is my first post, didn't see a new member place to introduce myself. lol My name is Scott, and I live around the Detroit area. I don't have the VRod, my buddy does, but I decided to try to help him out on the forums.

He has a 2004 VRod and it ran fine all last summer, never any issues. When he was putting it away for the winter, he was letting it run Stabil through the system, when it stalled. It sounded like the fuel was being choked off. He didn't think much about it so he put it away.

A month or so ago, he brought it out to get it ready for the season, but it would not fire. He called me to see if i could help him out. I have a dual sport bike that is carb'd bike and have never worked on a Harley, but told him that I'd see if I can get some advice for him. We replaced the battery, as it had a bad cell after testing, and that didn't help. It doesn't fire at all, no sputtering, just nothing.

He took it to the local Harley dealership and that quoted him over $1000!! They said that fuel pumps are not made for that bike any longer and that they would need to install a "fuel distribution system". Does that sound right, that there are no fuel pumps made for that bike?

They called him today and said that they cannot find anything that would work and that he is out of luck. They started out saying that it was a fuel pump, but now it is something about a sensor that uses sonar to check the fuel level and it interfaces with the gauge. Wow, way more complicated than my bike. lol

I don't have the part that they said he would need, but is out of production, but I'll try to get that and post it up here.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated or if you can just point my in the right direction if this is the wrong part of the forum.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
...I don't have the VRod, my buddy does, but I decided to try to help him out on the forums.

He has a 2004 VRod and it ran fine all last summer, never any issues. When he was putting it away for the winter, he was letting it run Stabil through the system, when it stalled. It sounded like the fuel was being choked off. He didn't think much about it so he put it away.

A month or so ago, he brought it out to get it ready for the season, but it would not fire. He called me to see if i could help him out. I have a dual sport bike that is carb'd bike and have never worked on a Harley, but told him that I'd see if I can get some advice for him. We replaced the battery, as it had a bad cell after testing, and that didn't help. It doesn't fire at all, no sputtering, just nothing.

He took it to the local Harley dealership and that quoted him over $1000!! They said that fuel pumps are not made for that bike any longer and that they would need to install a "fuel distribution system". Does that sound right, that there are no fuel pumps made for that bike?

They called him today and said that they cannot find anything that would work and that he is out of luck. They started out saying that it was a fuel pump, but now it is something about a sensor that uses sonar to check the fuel level and it interfaces with the gauge. Wow, way more complicated than my bike. lol

I don't have the part that they said he would need, but is out of production, but I'll try to get that and post it up here.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated or if you can just point my in the right direction if this is the wrong part of the forum.
There is a subforum titled "New to the V-Rod community" here.

Concerning your comments about fuel pumps and fuel level gauges, there are several threads concerning both topics (e.g., use the forum search function looking for "fuel pump" and "fuel level gauge").

To begin with, the fuel level gauge has nothing to do with the bike not starting. That can be removed or unplugged with no effect on engine performance. Also, the sonar type fuel level gauge wasn't used until 2007. Your friend's bike has a standard fuel level float that slides on a resistor strip.

It's hard to tell what the problem is by your description. It could be the fuel delivery or the ignition. Your friend should check for trouble codes and start from there. This post explains how to check and clear codes on the early model VRSC bikes.

If this friend is going to work on the bike he should get and read the owner's manual (available here), the service manual (99501-04) and the electrical diagnostic manual (99499-04).

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
While I've run into some real dork HD techs, this one takes the cake. Don't ever go back again for service.
Absolutely get a service manual but until then you can do this.
Check for codes. The engine light will stay on when the key is switched on.
Check all fuses in the two locations.
When you first turn the key on, you should be able to hear the fuel pump run for 2-3 seconds. This will repeat each time you turn the key on. If it does then take the bike outside, remove the breather and add 5 drops of gas in each throttle body. Attempt a start. If it fires up and quits the issue is in the fueling system. If not, it's ignition which needs further testing. This will also show the spark plug as being wet if you pull it out. Rear is easiest to get to for checking.
Try these tests first to determine fuel or ignition and we can go from there.
Oh, pumps can be had new for like 60 bucks average should this be the problem. Dealer either won't tell you or don't know. Sending unit has no connection to this problem. I would not go back to him for service, ever.
Ron

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. For whatever reason this, and only this thread is blocked from my office. It says that the IT Department has blocked me returning to this thread, but I AM the IT Department, and I don't have anything blocked, so not sure what's up there.

My friend bought a new fuel pump from Quantum, installed it and it still does not pump fuel. He has a 2004 model year, but the 2004-2012 pump did not fit, so the company said that he needed at 2003 pump, as it is different. I've not been over there since they modified the wiring harness to work with the 2003 pump, so not sure exactly if it is just not primed, or if the pump is not running.

Does a new pump self prime or do they need some encouragement to get them primed?

I'll check for any error codes too when i go over this week and see what they say.

Anyway, thanks again for the help.

Scott

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
My friend bought a new fuel pump from Quantum, installed it and it still does not pump fuel. He has a 2004 model year, but the 2004-2012 pump did not fit, so the company said that he needed at 2003 pump, as it is different. I've not been over there since they modified the wiring harness to work with the 2003 pump, so not sure exactly if it is just not primed, or if the pump is not running.

Does a new pump self prime or do they need some encouragement to get them primed?...
None of that makes any sense.

There have been changes to the fuel pump but even with changes any of the three versions (62109-01, 62109-01A, 62109-07) are interchangeable. Also, these are tank mounted fuel pumps so there is no priming required.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.