Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,
while I'm waiting delivery of the PCV I'm wondering about a couple of things...

actually I'm running stock except TABs w 2" baffle, and I've made a couple custom Db killer, which IMO put a lot of back pressure in the exhaust, I think similar to stock.

actually it runs this way:
some decel pop 3500 to idle, no backfires.
Cruising around city street is a bit rough , I mean off idle to 3k , 1st to 2nd and vice-versa.
idling when the engine is warm is a bit irregular,
and it bogs a little opening the throttle off idle in neutral, no problem when it revs up, again more noticeable when engine is warm.
bike I think get hotter than stock.I've no temp gauge to measure.
Consider those above as exarcebated opinion as the bike runs quite good, overall the feel is just like it needs to be woken up.

back to my question, which map should I start with?
I've a K&N ready to be installed but since my Tabs are tighter than std baffled Tabs I'm wondering , do I need it?

thanks for any tips I'll receive and pardon my bad english..

·
Registered
818 Posts
hi guys,
while I'm waiting delivery of the PCV I'm wondering about a couple of things...

actually I'm running stock except TABs w 2" baffle, and I've made a couple custom Db killer, which IMO put a lot of back pressure in the exhaust, I think similar to stock.

actually it runs this way:
some decel pop 3500 to idle, no backfires.
Cruising around city street is a bit rough , I mean off idle to 3k , 1st to 2nd and vice-versa.
idling when the engine is warm is a bit irregular,
and it bogs a little opening the throttle off idle in neutral, no problem when it revs up, again more noticeable when engine is warm.
bike I think get hotter than stock.I've no temp gauge to measure.
Consider those above as exarcebated opinion as the bike runs quite good, overall the feel is just like it needs to be woken up.

back to my question, which map should I start with?
I've a K&N ready to be installed but since my Tabs are tighter than std baffled Tabs I'm wondering , do I need it?

thanks for any tips I'll receive and pardon my bad english..
Did you also purchase the Auto Tune? That will be some of the consideration for a map. Do you guys still get 95 octane or better on the pump?

The K&N will improve airflow no matter what exhaust you have installed.

Once you have the proper map tweaked for your bike all stated issues will just about go away. Look up some of my posts with maps attached. Try this one on post #3 http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141508

Your English is horrible but your American is just fine.....lol

Augurare. Check back often and let us know what's happening.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your English is horrible but your American is just fine.....lol
LoL, Ok.

to answer your question ..
no, I didn't get autotune and most pumps here sells 95 octane.

does exist a map similar or equal to the stock ECM?
for example, map M15-006-010 which is stated for stock muffler and filter is a tuned map or equal to stock?

·
Registered
818 Posts
LoL, Ok.

to answer your question ..
no, I didn't get autotune and most pumps here sells 95 octane.

does exist a map similar or equal to the stock ECM?
for example, map M15-006-010 which is stated for stock muffler and filter is a tuned map or equal to stock?
You still may find that map rich, but it could be a good starting point. You may find that you may want to lean it alot of places versus adding fuel on this map especially running the 95 octane, even if you are close to sea level.....add any altitude and you will be leaning it down quite abit.

Your irregular idle is most likely a lean condition and adding a 10 and a little more in the 0% column at 1250 rpm will help to correct that.

To run at stock ECM parameters you can just leave a "0" in the columns/rows and only put values in the rows/columns where you would like to make changes.

I really miss being overseas with all the high octane fuel.....I remember being in Kuwait and buying 105 on the pump and you really don't want to know the ridiculously low price per gallon either.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eod,
pardon my ignorance..
so basically a zero map doesn't change anything at all vs stock?
anyway before diggin too deep into rows or columns I'll hold until I have it installed and running so I better understand what u r talking about.
100 octane here sells for 2$ per Liter, go figure..

·
Registered
818 Posts
Eod,
pardon my ignorance..
so basically a zero map doesn't change anything at all vs stock?
anyway before diggin too deep into rows or columns I'll hold until I have it installed and running so I better understand what u r talking about.
100 octane here sells for 2$ per Liter, go figure..
No need to wait till the PC V shows up to learn about the system. I provided the link to the software you will require to access and program your PC V. Download just the Power Commander V software. This is what you will need for programing the PC V.

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/Downloads/powercommander_downloads.aspx?ProdType=PCV

Then download the maps for the V ROD from this link. Click on download all.

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/powercommander_v.aspx?mk=6&mdl=34&yr=2009

Now you have the info to start the learning curve.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
finally the PCV showed up, I'll start playing around with it ASAP and I'll let you know the result..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've plugged the pcv yesterday',
I've yet to mount the K&N , used dynojet map 502 ,I've made a quick run since it's quite cold right now here, overall seems ok, still a little esitation on revving up 5 to 10% off idle, just in between the 1500 -2000, like bogging.
the rest of the range pick up very quickly , more responsive like.
and a slight popping at zero throttle 2500-3000 and down, but barely noticeable.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I've plugged the pcv yesterday',
I've yet to mount the K&N , used dynojet map 502 ,I've made a quick run since it's quite cold right now here, overall seems ok, still a little esitation on revving up 5 to 10% off idle, just in between the 1500 -2000, like bogging.
the rest of the range pick up very quickly , more responsive like.
and a slight popping at zero throttle 2500-3000 and down, but barely noticeable.
Ok I tweaked the map for you based on your inputs. Let me know how it goes. Now you will have something to compare with vs. a canned map. I took into consideration your general area and available fuel. I did only change the areas you said you were having an issue as noted above.

Quite cold....thats funny....I have been riding in -7* C just about everyday over the past week going to work in the morning. The other day it was real warm about 7-8* C when I went to work at 4:30 am and then about 9 am it got real cold and damp and the roads glazed over with black ice. Made riding real interesting in places. I rode the shoulders alot where there was a little gravel and sand and the cars had not polished up yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EOD ,
I'll give it a try asap,
I wasn't expeting such a custom help. thank you very much.
do you think mounting the K&N will change things later on?

are you saying you drive your muscle in -7C ? :notworth:
I couldn't even pull the clutch lever at that temps, my car is more than enough for anything below +10C..

·
Registered
818 Posts
EOD ,
I'll give it a try asap,
I wasn't expeting such a custom help. thank you very much.
do you think mounting the K&N will change things later on?

are you saying you drive your muscle in -7C ? :notworth:
I couldn't even pull the clutch lever at that temps, my car is more than enough for anything below +10C..
You are welcome. I have been working the PC V for the Muscle for 2 years and if I get a good description can usually make the adjustments easily knowing area, fuel and problem area. As far as the K&N install, it should not affect it much. May have to do about a 10% increase, maybe at select throttle positions.

I also have the PC V installed on a couple of my snowmobiles(now you know why I don't mind riding so cold) so I get to work with it year 'round and on 2 strokes it can be a little tricky.

Today will most likely be my last day riding as they are calling for 1 to 3 inches of snow this afternoon. I just rode home here on an extended lunch to park the moto for the cager.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
EOD,
I fired up the Muscle with your map in the garage,
I've warmed up to 185-190F (any way to switch to celsius? I was in a hurry so i didn't dig deep in the settings..) and i didn't notice any bog , but usually it was more noticeable when coming back from a trip, so I definitely need to get the bike out to tell if it is gone or not.
can't comment yet on the popping.
also a lot of nice new gauge come out on starting up the software , they weren't present the first time.is it related to your map or what?

·
Registered
818 Posts
EOD,
I fired up the Muscle with your map in the garage,
I've warmed up to 185-190F (any way to switch to celsius? I was in a hurry so i didn't dig deep in the settings..) and i didn't notice any bog , but usually it was more noticeable when coming back from a trip, so I definitely need to get the bike out to tell if it is gone or not.
can't comment yet on the popping.
also a lot of nice new gauge come out on starting up the software , they weren't present the first time.is it related to your map or what?
The gauges you see come with the software. I obiviously have all ECM channels acitive to look all the engine parameters available and the ones you seen are the ones I use most often. I use to ride with my computer sometimes to fix problem areas, now I use the LCD screen with playback.

I am interested in how your bike runs, so let me know how I did. Nothing like tuning a bike from 5000 miles away. I hope I hit the mark.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll let you know for sure, you're not done with me yet ;) , I still have to install the filter you know and thanks again for you help. :notworth:

BTW, I was reading the muscle section of the forum ,and I've read of the guy with the left pipe soot , before adding the PCV I had the same problem on mine.
do you think I need to decrease the fuel on that cylinder too?
also when I started the bike with your map , the pipes were sputtering like crazy for the first minutes , do you think it was condensation of the day before yesterday run? the sputter was greyish and not too sticky (lol) and I think it stopped after warming up. need to test that again too..
damn it , I need a couple of days off from work to sort things out..

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'll let you know for sure, you're not done with me yet ;) , I still have to install the filter you know and thanks again for you help. :notworth:

BTW, I was reading the muscle section of the forum ,and I've read of the guy with the left pipe soot , before adding the PCV I had the same problem on mine.
also when I started the bike with your map , the pipes were sputtering like crazy for the first minutes , do you think it was condensation of the day before yesterday run? the sputter was greyish and not too sticky (lol) and I think it stopped after warming up. need to test that again too..
Don't sweat any white/grey smoke on 1st startup. Cool weather or a humid day will produce this most days. Now for the soot on the pipe wait till you get the bugs worked out and have the bike running good to see what it is doing.

Well my riding for the season came to an end today. We had black ice all day and they laid down enough sand to call most roads a beach.

·
Registered
818 Posts

Weekly check in.....still to cold? It's raining here so our snow is disappearing fast so I may be able to squeeze another ride in yet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol, It's raining like hell here too, and I haven't made any progress thus far..
btw going a little OT and me being too lazy to read the manual... how to access the battery for storage? I mean to clamp a battery saver during winter time..

·
Registered
818 Posts
Lol, It's raining like hell here too, and I haven't made any progress thus far..
btw going a little OT and me being too lazy to read the manual... how to access the battery for storage? I mean to clamp a battery saver during winter time..
Put a battery tender on it. You install one end on to the battery and then it uses a plug to connect with the tender.

The easiest way to get at the battery is remove the Air filtercover and you then have access to both terminals.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hi there EOD,
how are you? hope it's fine.Here winter has passed but rain persist so between a shitty day and another I've rode my muscle a bit and as promised I'm back with question about pcv mapping, if you remember I've put up your map and during winter time I've installed a K&N.
with your modded map the bike run great almost on all the rpm range ,on wot it gets at speed fast and without any hesitation, but I still have that occasional bog or hesitation off the idle.it happens in neutral and last just for a moment, see for example when I'm waiting at the light or just throttlin while stopped. It doesn't happens all the time. more rarely you can also hear a "ciuff" coming from below, (is that "sputtering"? lol ) still learning terminology sry.
moreover driving in traffic 1st or 2nd gear low on rpm is a little bit rough.
popping is almost not noticeable, just a little 3500 and down but barely noticeable, it has never been a loud bang..
any hint?
thanks a lot
William

1 - 20 of 41 Posts