Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I now own a 2006 HD Night Rod, this is my first bike and never own one before. Some say it’s too fast for beginners, not sure if that’s true but it definitely has some balls! I like to widen my rear tire and people told me to stay away from the 300+ what’s a good size for the rear that’s not gonna give me struggle? Thanks for listening and happy to be here 🤙🏼

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Welcome. Well, I'm not a fan of wide tires. Had a 200 on my softail and it sucked. My current DX has a 240 and it sucks more. Following the theme, the 300 would suck the almighty big one. Regardless of what you hear, the fatter the tire it's user unfriendly in cornering suffers and in slow maneuvering, especially on rough surfaces. In the end, your call. Just offering my insight.
Ron

·
Registered
52 Posts
I love the way my V-Rod handles with the stock 180. Big tires are only for show and spending cash.
But, most people like the looks of a bigger tire. I ride my bike, it's not for show.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Welcome, My $.02, This is your first bike, ride it stock for quite a while. Don't change anything significant. This thing is heavy and adding the added handling downfalls of wider rear is not for a new rider. Enjoy it...

·
"Vrod King"
923 Posts
Respect the speed and welcome.

·
VRSC est -03
3,094 Posts
Welcome to 1130cc. Enjoy! (y)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I 100% agree. Ride and enjoy the bile. Invest in a riding skills course. You will be able to appreciate riding more and have a better time as well.
If this is your first bike, invest in riding gear and practicing your skills. Then worry about how the bike looks.
Half the mods I see are detrimental to performance anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Welcome ! Remember these V Rods are long wheelbase fairly heavy motorcycles that also have a lot of power - the greater front end rake angle makes them very stable at speed as well ( great for drag races and holding the front end down ) but the net result of all that is if you twist the throttle too much you might be going too fast to turn if you're headed into a curve. As stated everything the guys said above is correct. Respect the power, respect the potential speed available and respect that they're great straight line bikes but not as great in the corners. Leave yourself a safety factor at all times and most importantly learn to brake properly using both brakes - stopping 1 foot shorter can be the difference between stopping before the car that turned left in front of you or being 1 foot inside the passenger door frame. Never ride faster than your turning and stopping skills are able to handle because as a beginner it's what you don't know that'll really hurt you. Practice, ride smart & safe & have FUN !! (y) ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts