Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Got my 07 VRSCDX demin with vivid stripes in April and finally got past the 1000mile mark :moon:.

-Exhaust:
So what exhaust makes good power and is not obnoxiously loud? I'll spend the money on good exhaust that meets the above. How about flat black to match the bike?

-Tuner:
I see power commander, Sert, etc.... Which one is the best that most tuners use to make good power with? Who is a good reputable tuner? Any good dyno tuners in Northern/Central NJ area?

-Air Filter:
I assume just a drop in K&N. But you guys tell me?

Any other intial mods I should do beside the above?

I'd like to make this vrod, eventually, one of the fastest street bikes out there. I'm not interested in going turbo or supercharged yet. I'd like to just start with the above.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
11 Posts
I personally just bored out the stock pipes, PC III, K&N and made it topless. Runs better than I will ever need.
Yes, K&N just replaces the old filter. If you mess with the pipes in any way you SHOULD get a PC III. I honestly think that the biggest differnece that I FELT was when it went topless.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Fastest vrod out there? Wow, that's a lofty goal. Just add enough cash and anything is possible.

But for now, unless you just dont like the way your stock mufflers look, you can send them to vmod and have them reworked. The vmods have a throaty sound with a nice bark. I put the PC3 on mine, and it works fine, although it was hard to fit it in. I ended up buying longer side cover screws and cutting nylon spacers, (no way the short stock screws were gonna work). It came premapped, but it was too rich, especially in the normal riding range (figures). I had to spend another $400 on a dyno tune to get it right, oooffff. I went topless, and noticed quite an improvement. K&N filter too, a must. Just those few things will wake it up a lot (but not necessarily make it faster). Vrods make speed via rpm, not so much by HP.

If you want one of the fastest rods you'll have to go big bore and turbo. All the other stuff will gain you a pony here and there, but nothing to brag about. I personally think turbos, superchargers, and nitrous cans are butt-ugly, and unnecessary. But thats one mans opinion.

·
Sua Sponte
1,560 Posts
packinDSS said:
Hey guys,

Got my 07 VRSCDX demin with vivid stripes in April and finally got past the 1000mile mark :moon:.

-Exhaust:
So what exhaust makes good power and is not obnoxiously loud? I'll spend the money on good exhaust that meets the above. How about flat black to match the bike?

-Tuner:
I see power commander, Sert, etc.... Which one is the best that most tuners use to make good power with? Who is a good reputable tuner? Any good dyno tuners in Northern/Central NJ area?

-Air Filter:
I assume just a drop in K&N. But you guys tell me?

Any other intial mods I should do beside the above?

I'd like to make this vrod, eventually, one of the fastest street bikes out there. I'm not interested in going turbo or supercharged yet. I'd like to just start with the above.

Thanks guys
Do what you want, brother. There are so many options to choose from that its hard to choose which direction to take. But you'll get there. There are plenty of people here to give you advice, myself included. Though we arent experts.

...And anyone that says that souping up a V-Rod is a waste of time and money doesnt know their ass from their elbow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys...I have afew more questions about the above.

I am going to go with the VMOD route unless anyone feels the TABS or CFR's are better. I would like to hear the why to the question as well.

Do I still need a PCIII if I get the bike dyno tuned?

If I go topless where do you put the air temperature sensor? Anyone make a mount for it or pics of clean rigging it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
why is everybody wanting to make their dx something it is'nt? if you want speed, then you need a crotch rocket. the stock v-rods run just fine, plenty fast and fun to ride, so go have some fun instead of worring about speed speed speed

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
packinDSS said:
Hey guys,

I'd like to make this vrod, eventually, one of the fastest street bikes out there. I'm not interested in going turbo or supercharged yet.
First there will always be someone faster

Second if you wanted to be one of the fastest you bought the wrong bike. Should of bought a Hyabusa or a Kawasaki ZX14

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wapow said:
why is everybody wanting to make their dx something it is'nt? if you want speed, then you need a crotch rocket. the stock v-rods run just fine, plenty fast and fun to ride, so go have some fun instead of worring about speed speed speed
I shoulda coulda woulda menta to say in the cruiser class!!!

I had a GSXR1000 sold it 3 years ago and hadn't owned a bike since. I was looking at used Hayabusa's when I saw this bike and got the itch again. I never thought I say this but I prefer this to sports bikes now. I'm 6'3' and sports bikes were always a bit small for me. That doesn't mean I don’t want to make it faster and faster and faster. I'm a speed freak...my daily driver is a 2003 SVT Cobra dyno'd at 505hp/523trq.

Help me out here. It looks like a turbo or big bore is in my future. I'd love to see the look on someone's face when I destroy them in a race. This bike has sleeper potential against the sports bike crowd IMO. (yes iv'e seen turbo Busa's etc..)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I hear ya too..

Do what I did. Buy the S.E.R.T. and get the K&N and go topless. Remove the baffels yourself. Then either get your bike tuned or get the Twin Tech and tune it yourself.

You want speed; or quickness? Speed is a problem. DX is a heavyweight and I see the BB's blowing up and so do the hair-dryers but cost wise put a hair-dryer on it with some rods and low comp pistons and make yourself 200hp at the wheel. Gearing is the problem. With the belt you are very limited on gear selection. Talk to Max about the blow-dryer option. You have to go to chain and sprockets for more gearing options.

Just keep in mind that from stoplight to stoplight racing this bike kicks serious butt. But it's all over for you by third gear while racing a Busa etc...Stock on stock that is.(no straps,stretch,lowered, just stock)

With the stock gearing my DX tops out around 135 to 140 ish. I have been thinking about putting a 30 tooth on mine to see how it cruises down the road. Gas mileage and stuff. Just make it your own!!

:2cents: :sinister:

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
wapow said:
That's why I kept my sport bike :) It's the best of both worlds. Though at some point, I might do some light mods....and don't like how quiet the stock pipe is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts