Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Billy
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled a nail from my tire last Saturday and plugged it. Monday I called the new Zylstra's HD in St. Charles and set up for them to order a new Metz 200 and install it. They called Thursday and said the tire was in so I ran home, pulled the rear wheel and headed over there. I dropped it off and they said it would be ready the following afternoon. I called about 1:30 and said my wife would be by around 3:00 to pick it up. The service rep tells me there is a "little problem". He said their tire machine can't do anything over a 150. :confused: I asked them why they didn't tell me that BEFORE they ordered the tire. He didn't really have an answer.
I had him transfer me to the parts dept and I told him I wanted a credit for the tire. He says they'll have to charge me a 20% restocking fee. I blew my top and told him to tell the manager I'm on my way over.
When I get there I explain this :bs: to the manager. I asked him how they can have a brand new 80,000sf dealership and can't even change the tire on any of the Buells or V-Rods they sell. I asked him if they provide a disclaimer to there new customers telling them that if they need a tire changed they will have to take it to another shop. He agreed that's not right and gets the service manager. He agrees with me as well that they can't charge me a restocking fee because they can't install a tire they sold to me. He said they would refund the tire for me. I ended up taking the tire to the local Honda shop and they mounted and balanced it for $35.
Needless to say, there is no way I would take my bike back there for any service.
Ok, I'll get of my :soapbox: now.

·
Dustin
696 Posts
Wow that sucks Billy!!! The customer service today just isn't worth a damn. Why couldn't they handle all that over the phone. It wasn't until you had to go down there and talk to them in person did they finally see their errors. What a waste of time for you. I'm gald you finally got the tire mounted. Maybe Honda should buy Harley :hidesbeh:

D

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
So they cannot mount a Stock V tire than? Sounds like a Well run establishment.

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
Not to mention alot of the softail cruisers went to a 200mm. Sounds like they can only handle the touring bikes.

·
Premium Member
11,329 Posts
Don't Aw's and X's have 240s? Ill bet that dealer does not have a set of metric tools in the shop either.

·
Billy
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I told them. I said you have at least 2 dozen bikes on the floor that you can't even service. I told him I would be embarrassed if I were the manager. He said they are looking for a new machine. The service manager said the last time they tried a bigger tire they scratched up the wheel pretty bad and since my wheel was chrome they didn't want to f*ck it up. I said "so if it wasn't chrome you wouldn't have a problem f*cking it up?' He didn't know what to say.
The sad part is they actually carry a ton of clothing and the sales ladies are really nice but I won't spend any more money there.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
the sales ladies are really nice but I won't spend any more money there.[/QUOTE]

I'd go in there just to flirt w the ladies!

It really is sad they don't have a proper tire machine and the fact they knew this and didn't let you know up front.It's an expensive piece of equiptment but yet a very profitable piece of equiptment.They should have farmed the job out for you at their expense,just for purchasing the tire from them.
Not a good call on their end.

The dealer I use has been waiting for a new machine to arrive for a month.I couldn't wait any longer and I needed my 240 swapped,they loaded the tire and wheel into the company truck,took it to the sister shop 45 miles or more away had it swapped and didn't charge me a cent for anything.I bought the tire else where too.I choose this place because they brag of their expertise in tire work and their policy is,if they ruin anything they buy a new one.
I donated towards the techs beer fund.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Have to add them to the list of dealers I will not go to.Conrad's is at the TOP of the list!!!!I bought mine from there and got bent over.Then went ther with my dad to buy a Heritage,and they treated us like we had the plague!!!!Wouldn't go there if my bike broke down in front of their new 7 million dollar building!!!

·
Bike is for sale!
5,075 Posts
I am really starting to hate HD, and their dealers, ya I am sure there are a few that are great and all, but for me now, I am going to due as much as the work as I can on my own bike.

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
hafnutz67 said:
The service manager said the last time they tried a bigger tire they scratched up the wheel pretty bad and since my wheel was chrome they didn't want to f*ck it up. I said "so if it wasn't chrome you wouldn't have a problem f*cking it up?' He didn't know what to say.
:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: I think I just peed myself... but I'm laughing so hard I'm about ... to .... pass... ouT :chair:

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
rjrivero said:
Billy,

www.nomartirechanger.com

Do it yourself, save the headache!!
RJ I have been wanting one of these things. I can't afford the extra expense right now so I'm hoping when Rob gets his house finished and garage setup that he will get one so that I can help him with his tires. Hint hint. :rofl:

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Max said:
RJ I have been wanting one of these things. I can't afford the extra expense right now so I'm hoping when Rob gets his house finished and garage setup that he will get one so that I can help him with his tires. Hint hint. :rofl:
That's a great Idea. You only need SOMEONE in the area to have one, and you're set. I know for a fact none of my LOCAL friends will buy one now!! :laugh:

·
Billy
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rjrivero said:
Billy,
www.nomartirechanger.com
Do it yourself, save the headache!!
That's pretty cool. Mybe I'll put that on my x-mas list.
Damn, does that mean I'll have to be a "good boy"?

·
Registered
479 Posts
i had the same issue at a dealer near me when i had my rear tire replaced, their current machine couldnt do it, but they had a new one on order. but they took my tire and rim to another shop in town and had them put it on.

id assume a lot of harley dealers dont have the machine for it. but are probably working on gettting it.

same issue in my town with low profile tires for cars, only goodyear has a machine that can do it

·
Registered
330 Posts
Dealers can get crucified for just about anything around here, maybe they have run into this problem before and now know they have to upgrade their machinery. It is the same thing I would do if I was the service manager there. It is not a happy day when the service dept. has too buy a new wheel because they scratched someones. The wider low profile tires can be a real bear to install on a traditional machine, it is eased by using a machine with a hydralic ram to hold the tire in the drop center. While I agree they shouldn't have tried the restock fee it sounds like that was a inter-dealer mis-communication and you straightened it out. Here is a Coats 100 that has been the standard in bike shops forever and the newer better 200 with the hydralic ram tire machines.

The glass is half full, not half empty.

Attachments

·
Billy
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
keebie said:
id assume a lot of harley dealers dont have the machine for it. but are probably working on gettting it.
I would have agreed with that, oh let's say 5 years ago when, when the V-Rods first came out and had the 180 tires. I would thing by now every Harley dealer would have adequate time to update their equipment especially one that just moved to a new 80,000 sf facility. :banghead:
This is just another example of how dealerships give little or no thought to the V-Rod. My guess is the only reason they are going to update their machine now is the fact that some of their "precious" other models are starting to come out with 200 tires.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Zylstra SUCKS!!! I will never give them my business here in Minnesota. Many times I've been in and treated like I have the plague!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts