Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered the new Recluse wheels by WELD for my V-ROD :D and just wanted to know if there were any other manufacturers that I may have overlooked in my search. I have looked at PM, Pro-One, HD, and Ricks racing...thanksfor the feedback...oh yeah, does anyone else out there have these wheels, or others and have pics to post?

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Are they a new wheel company?Or are they the ones that make drag wheels for cars?
Let's see some pics.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Weld wheels has been around for years making car wheels, I run running weld wheels on off road Jeeps back in the 70's.

Max

·
Registered
35 Posts
Arlen Ness has all there styles listed with a fit for the V-rod. They also show a few different size as well. I was paticulary interested in the 21X3.25 front wheel. The say you must use thier rotors and they have specific spacer kits. They also have a 72 tooth pulley for the V-rod but I dont know if it has the cush drive. May be worth checking out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
performance metal fab racing they make rims with matching rotors and pulleys with a few different styles, all chrome (952) 496 0053 Shakopee Minnesota

·
Registered
1 Posts
RC Components has some great rims. I bought the "Slash" rims a year ago and they change the whole style of the bike if you ask me. Will get pics up soon.

Giff.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Those are some nice wheels,but do they have the cush-drive?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was told that they come with eveything needed for them to work properly on the V-ROD. Front and rear wheels, 3 rotors, drive pulley and all spacers...What is a cush drive, and is it needed for proper operation? If so, I will cancel my order...

·
2,552 Posts
rude122 said:
I was told that they come with eveything needed for them to work properly on the V-ROD. Front and rear wheels, 3 rotors, drive pulley and all spacers...What is a cush drive, and is it needed for proper operation? If so, I will cancel my order...
rude122,

It is my understanding that they do not offer a cush drive. I spoke to the engineers at another wheel manufacturer http://www.xtrememachineusa.com/index2.html
and they tried wheels on a V-Rod without the cush drive and they where not satisfied with the end result so they only offer wheels with the cush drive for V-Rods. HD put a cush drive on our bikes for a reason and we know how much R & D went into the V-Rod. It is my understanding that the cush drive will help with the longevity of the entire drive train. I personally would not install a wheel without a cush drive.

Most Respectfully
Frank

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
rude 122,

See this thread for a little more info on cush drives.
http://www.v-rodforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3024&page=3&pp=15&highlight=cush+drive

As mentioned in that thread, opinions are varied, however after talking to a few service managers from HD dealers they claim it's not a big deal - again as long as you aren't drag racing. Also, Pro-One put 40,000 miles on a V-Rod without a cush drive prior to releasing their wheels to the public and never had any problems. I don't disagree that HD put a lot of R&D into the V-Rod, however this wouldn't be the first time HD has come out with something on a bike and then a few years later decided it wasn't necessary and removed it. Not saying the cush drive will fall under this category - just saying it's happened before.

I guess what it comes down to is each person doing their own research and then making a decision on what you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Will do...just bought a chrome swingarm also...just have to wait for it all to be shipped...Does anyone know if I can reuse the bearings from the stock swingarm, and if not how much the new bearings run?

·
Registered
454 Posts
rude122 said:
Will do...just bought a chrome swingarm also...just have to wait for it all to be shipped...Does anyone know if I can reuse the bearings from the stock swingarm, and if not how much the new bearings run?
If you bought a kit part #48410-01A it comes with new bearings. Otherwise the part #s for the bearings are 48388-01 (left) and 48389-01 (right). In any case it does not not come with dust seals part #6834 (you need 2 pcs). It's recommended you replace bearings and dust seals.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I spoke to WELD today and the wheels do come with the cush drive!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts