Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new member here... just picked up my new/ used 2009 Red Hot Sunglo VRSCF. I've been following this forum for a while... you guys are awesome! Anyways, onto the questions. Does anyone recommend the "JMNA extended warranty?" Is anything known to go wrong that could justify dropping around $1300 for 3 years of (possible) coverage? I have untill 12/31/10 to pull the trigger on this. The bike has 1800 miles and appears to be solid. I picked it up in Brandon, FL for a great price, however I don't need to be spending anymore money lol since I just ordered the V&H slip-ons, K&N, and Fuel Moto EFI tuner. Also wondering recommended shock settings for myself (200lbs) and my girl (around 130lb-ish)- I have it set at 4-up from softest after bottoming out like crazy on 2-up. If these questions have been posted in an existing thread I'll apologize in advance. Thank you in advance for any input.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
:vrodforu:
I have the extended warranty on my '07 and have used it once for the rear brake switch (which is a cheap and easy DIY). Your call and a tough one.

Shocks.... I highly suggest you go with something aftermarket for best ride for comfort. Too many options to list. Check out the suspension section for more detailed insights.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the rapid reply. The dealer did the scare tactic deal and got me thinking a bit. I never really give in to it, however I just don't know if there are any "known" problems with the bike. Also I have a strong feeling, since I am NOT buying the SERT and doing all my own work that they will tell me that I broke it lol regardless of what happens. I may have to roll the dice and see I guess.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Welcome!
VROD's with major problems seem to be far and few between.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perfect! That's what I needed to hear :) Thank you

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts
I don't know if my decision will help you any, but when I bought my bike in March 2006, (05A), I bought the extended warranty(5yr). After I rode it almost a year and got to know the bike, as well as learned that with this forums help, I could fix almost anything that went wrong if need be.
I canceled my warranty and used the refund money to buy my Rinehart exhaust and SERT. I have 33,000 miles on it now and have had no major issues.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey guys, new member here... just picked up my new/ used 2009 Red Hot Sunglo VRSCF. I've been following this forum for a while... you guys are awesome! Anyways, onto the questions. Does anyone recommend the "JMNA extended warranty?" Is anything known to go wrong that could justify dropping around $1300 for 3 years of (possible) coverage? I have untill 12/31/10 to pull the trigger on this. The bike has 1800 miles and appears to be solid. I picked it up in Brandon, FL for a great price, however I don't need to be spending anymore money lol since I just ordered the V&H slip-ons, K&N, and Fuel Moto EFI tuner. Also wondering recommended shock settings for myself (200lbs) and my girl (around 130lb-ish)- I have it set at 4-up from softest after bottoming out like crazy on 2-up. If these questions have been posted in an existing thread I'll apologize in advance. Thank you in advance for any input.

I'm in the same boat. Not sure but leaning toward nay. If something should break, we can get together and figure out how to fix it. I've fixed most of stuff on my Softail but zero knowledge on V Rod. In the mean time, I'm still thinking about it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ME262, I'm leaning towards nay as well. I have 5 days left of factory warranty and I think I'm just going to take it in because of my (very minor) brake resovoir leak just to knock it out for free. I had noticed an oil leak that I freaked out over, however I double checked the oil and it was a tad bit over filled (HD service btw). The oil appeared to be coming from somewhere "on top" of the engine itself. After much reading I believe it was just venting from somewhere in/near the airbox and has since stopped following me draining a little out. Other than that I don't know if I have it in me to pay for a "possible problem." I've read nothing but awesome reviews on the v rod's durability etc. May keep the money set aside for some Arnotts or something like that :) thank you all for replying, I love the hell out of this bike!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts