Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After wishing for a Street Rod since they first came out and lurking as a non-member on this list, I finally found one within my budget. Yesterday, I picked up a used one with only 1200 miles from well-respected dealer (claims to be the oldest HD dealer in country). A couple of newbie observations/questions:
*Can the handlebars easily be adjusted (rotated) and if so, how?
*Any recommended places to buy HD factory accessories online at discount? I'll watch auction sites and this site's classifieds, too.
*Really cold blooded -- misses and surges for first 15 minutes -- is this normal? Also, warm surges some when lugging <3000 rpm -- normal?
*Observation -- insurance surprisingly cheap -- $208/year, full coverage from Progressive -- might be my age(54) and clean record.
*Observation -- dealer pushed extended warranty ($1000/2 years) and Gap insurance ($500) really hard. I declined, thinking I can self insure -- bike out of warranty but serviced and inspected -- hope I did right thing!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$9995. They have another one with more miles (16000) but a bigger windshield and bags/backrest for same price.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome to the club. You are going to love your new bike!

Yes, you need to remove the clam shell (instrument cluster) underneath is a set of bar clams.
*Any recommended places to buy HD factory accessories online at discount? I'll watch auction sites and this site's classifieds, too.
I go with Chicago HD. Good website and 20% off orders.
*Really cold blooded -- misses and surges for first 15 minutes -- is this normal? Also, warm surges some when lugging <3000 rpm -- normal?
Yes, The bike comes very lean from the factory. Look into a Fuel management module to fix that. (I will be selling a PCIII soon)

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts

·
Bad luck depository
545 Posts
I went with the extended warrenty because working in the car industry I know how much repairs can cost. Now with 20/20 hind sight I would have declined the extended warrenty because I want to mod away! and always have to worry "will it be covered????"
Gap insurance, I will never buy, if my vehicle/bike is trashed, roll over the left over into new loan, and then pull the old buy back scam! Take in 3 times for same problem (in california) no fix, its now a buy back and the loan gets wiped out! :angeldev: I would never do that but I would just deal with the outcome!

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
remphoto said:
After wishing for a Street Rod since they first came out and lurking as a non-member on this list, I finally found one within my budget. Yesterday, I picked up a used one with only 1200 miles from well-respected dealer (claims to be the oldest HD dealer in country). A couple of newbie observations/questions:
*Observation -- insurance surprisingly cheap -- $208/year, full coverage from Progressive -- might be my age(54) and clean record.
*Observation -- dealer pushed extended warranty ($1000/2 years) and Gap insurance ($500) really hard. I declined, thinking I can self insure -- bike out of warranty but serviced and inspected -- hope I did right thing!
If you want to rotate the handle bars look at the base of the clam shell (the instrument cluster) there are bolts there that trap the handle bars, loosen them up a little and the bars should rotate, when done don't forget to tighten them again.
As for accessories the forum store and flea bay seem to be the leading two. Many members buy from Zanotti's H-D and Hales H-D as well.
These bikes will surge some when cold, the one thing you don't want to do is lug this engine. It is a short stroke engine with lots of technology built in. Riding in first gear at 25 mph or so you should be taching around 4k rpm or so. Don't ride it like an airhead, you have a rev limiter at 7500 rpm until the engine warms up, then it goes to 9k rpm. I have hit the rev limiter on mine in first gear a couple of times. I don't normally ride that hard but you can if you need/want to. Don't lug it and don't be afraid to rev it up, the power band is from 4k to 9k rpm. As for surging when it is warm I don't know what to say. Check the spark plugs, the engine may have a lean spot in it. These engines run lean from the factory an after market fuel adding device may take care of that condition.
It sounds like you got a good deal on insurance, just try not to wreck the bike. This bike will feel so solid and stable that it may lull you into a false sense of security as to how fast you can ride and how it will handle emergency stops. Not saying the bike won't handle it just saying make sure that you can.
Dealers always push extended warrentees, it's their bread and butter. When you bought the bike you did them a favor by getting one of the slowest sellers they have off of the show room floor. Some dealers are more V-rod friendly than others hopefully yours is very V-rod friendly. With only 1200 miles on the bike the engine should be in good shape so ride it often and ride it like you stole it.
Just out of curiosity did you get the bike at Dudley Perkins H-D? They claim to be the oldest Harley dealer in the U S if not the world.

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts
1hagop said:
I went with the extended warrenty because working in the car industry I know how much repairs can cost. Now with 20/20 hind sight I would have declined the extended warrenty because I want to mod away! and always have to worry "will it be covered????"
Gap insurance, I will never buy, if my vehicle/bike is trashed, roll over the left over into new loan, and then pull the old buy back scam! Take in 3 times for same problem (in california) no fix, its now a buy back and the loan gets wiped out! :angeldev: I would never do that but I would just deal with the outcome!
I rejected the GAP insurance but took the extended waranty. After reading everything on the board, I cancelled my extended and it lowered my financed amount by almost $2,000! You should be able to cancel.

·
THE DORK-ROD
344 Posts
:wazzup:

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
:vrodforu: :vrod: :vrodforu: :cheers: :grouphug

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Most mods can/could/will violate the warranty. To me, and extended warranty is a waste of money. I plan on changing things, sometimes even before I leave the dealership, so it is not an option for me. JMHO, Joe

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The only extended warranty I've ever bought was for my vette--what a dumb idea. The only problem I ever had (during the warranty period) cost only $300, yet the warranty was just over $1,800. I'll never do it again.

As for cold nature, yes, she has to warm up before she'll scream.

Enjoy!

·
Big Dawg
705 Posts
:vrodforu: You really should get a fuel managment device. Their are several out there I went with the Gils Box. It depends on what future mods you have in mind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You might start out by rotating the clutch and brake levers down. Mine were adjusted to high.

My new R had the same surging you described. It was like the bike didn't want to run slow. The surging seemed to get a little better as the miles increased. Now I have the Vance and hines feul pac and 2 into 1 exhaust and K & N. I must say it runs really good. It rips. No more surging and I don't seem to be hitting the rev limiter as often.

·
Registered Used
342 Posts
Surging could be a few minor things on a second hand bike.
who knows what a previous owner could have fidddled with.
Its worth checking both throttle butterflies are opening together.
The airbox lower is tight on injectors.
The velocity stacks are tight in airbox.
The air filter is seated properly.
The plugs are correct grade and tight in the heads.
The exhaust headers are tightened up to heads.
By the way are they standard exhausts and not modded.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some good thoughts -- I will check out. Bike has stock exhaust and has not been drilled out. I had airbox cover off last night to install leads for a trickle charger but didn't pull air cleaner or look at velocity stacks -- will check out. (It sure is tight to reach the battery leads without removing all the aircleaner stuff)

·
Registered
50 Posts
REMPHOTO

I have seen your bike, and I think you picked the right one with 14,800 fewer miles. If I was not in the process of having a new home built I would have been tempted to buy it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts