Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
This is my first post ever, wow feels pretty cool. Here's the skinney. I bought a brand new Custom '03 VRSCA in May of '07. YES it was brand new. It was sitting around the show room. The dealer was asking too much for too long. Well I picked it up because it looked sweet and I liked the way it rode (and of course the speed). I've put on like 600 or so miles just cruising around and getting a feel for the bike. I am a previous Yamaha R6 rider, the VROD is a whole new ball game.
Since I bought the bike, I've added some chrome, a screaming eagle exhaust w/ a high flow and ECM download, and a windshield for the colder mornings. I love the bike, however I have come across a slight problem...............I can't ride the damn thing for more than a half hour or so. Kills my A** and my upper back. I know I need a more cumfy seat for the longer hauls, but my bike is all custom. Rear fender is wider than stock, so I don't know what seat would work on my bike. I know I can have my seat or another seat customized, but are there any other choices out there? Does anyone recongnized the body kit that is on my bike?? And yes the dealership is useless, all they know is that it is CUSTOM. Well, Duh!!! On to the next problem............I think my back is killing me because I am reaching too far for the handle bars. I am 6'2'' and no I don't have short arms, but my shoulder blade muscles streching too much. I thought I could just work through it, but I have been unsuccessful. After a longer ride it is hard for me to sleep at night. I have even went to the extent of going to PT without success. I have done some research, I know that some people have custom bars made. I also know that HD has a reduced reach bar, part number 56150-04 for the VRSCB '04-'05 models, would this bar work on my bike with a little modification. I know I can't put my body closer to my current handlebars b/c that would reduce my leg room which would not be comfortable either. Any other ideas???? If I can't get this problem fixed, I'll be at my breaking point. I'll most likely have to $sell$ my bike which would really SUCK!

Anyways, hello to everyone. Any one from the WI area ever wanna ride let me know. Always looking for people to ride with..............Later

·
Registered
125 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I can't be of much help as I have an '03 mostly stock and must have the right body fit as not much bothers me.
However, you have come to the right place and I'm sure you will have answers quickly.
Otherwise try the search function, it works well.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
:vrodforu: from a fellow Wisconsinite. Trying adding some additional pictures of your bike to your gallery so we can get a better look at it. I am sure there is something we can figure out.

Is your seat still 2 pieces? Driver and passenger.

Ken

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
Welcome, You could find a pair of the reduced reach bars for the A-model, I don't know if the 04-05 Bmodels have the same clam shell riser. You could also switch the riser to a B or D model riser that accepts any 1" bar and it would also be adjustable up and down as compared to the A-Model bars. Also part number 56150-04 will not work on that bike unless you switch to the B-D model riser. They do make a redeuced reach A model bar but I don't know the part number right off hand.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope, my seat is one piece now. I did put some pics up in the gallery, but not sure how to put pics in my own gallery???

·
Registered
244 Posts
first of all :vrodforu: ... secondly any seat should and i repeat, should fit on that bike... they should maintain the same mounting brackets (or you can just use a solo seat)... as with the B bars, they will not work with your bike without the riser from the B. The A clamshell is just a cover over the bars... when it comes to the back and ass, thats natural (for me anyways)... after a few long road trips, I wasnt sore anymore.. your body will stretch and get used to that position (coming from a sportbike this bike should be extremely comfortable for you!!!)... hopefully i helped a lil... enjoy the great bike, you wont be disappointed!!! good luck

scott

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
Hey Bob!
:vrodforu:
I met you at Kelley's the other week. I recognize the rear fender. I have a stock seat, a Sundowner, and a Badlander. Stop over and we can see if any of them will fit with your fender. It's worth a shot. I'll PM you my info.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
:welcome: from a Milwaukee rider. Try out some of Pondo's seat to find out if they help. I'm tall myself, and I think the reduced reach bars may make your shoulders feel worse, as you'll be sitting straight up like a sail and you'll be fighting the wind all the time hanging onto the bike. Maybe you should try a bike with the HD drag bars and see how that feels. I have a set on my bike if you want to try it out.

·
Riding the Rev
1,523 Posts
This place is great welcome

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
He stopped over on Saturday eve. His seat is a one piece custom, we couldn't figure out what it is. It does seat you a bit far back and is not padded much at all (looks good though). We put a Sundowner on his bike and went for a little ride. Within a mile or so he was sold on it. The problem is that there is no inner fender under his custom rear fender so there is no "hook" for the passenger pillion. If anyone has an inner fender laying around or a Sundowner seat they're not using he's gonna want it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pondo,
Thanks much for all of your help. Greatly appreciated!! It is amazing how big of a difference a seat can make a bike ride. I am now confident that a sundowner could be the remedy for my issue. Thanks Pondo.

Yes, I do need an inner fender if anyone has an extra lying around. Possibly maybe a sundowner seat that is collecting some dust??? Please let me know if anyone has either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts