Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I Recently Purchased a 2003 Harley Vrod, got it for basically a steal. Not my first bike but my first Harley, absolutely love it so far.
Have a few questions for those who've owned or own a Vrod.
Which oil does everyone use? I know this is a horrible topic and one I don't want to ask but want it to last as long as possible.
Capacity of oil other oil advice.
The bike is basically stock minus exhaust, what upgrades, or accessories, quality of life, power and so on is recommended? I plan on keeping it as close to stock looking as possible.
What tuner would you recommend? and does the tuner have an economy tune? also if I can get a connector to go to a pc please give a link of the program and tool. I've tuned maps for other cars including my current TDI not too difficult, I'm a programmer and can learn fast.
how hard is it to replace the current 3.5 gas tank for the 5 gallon supertankv from unlimited engineering to do?
Where does everyone get their parts?
I'm going to replace some of the fuel system parts soon as the PO had an issue with stalling, not sure if it was a fuel issue or if it might have been from the battery.
I've noticed when refueling even when I keep the bike level the needle on the gauge doesn't go all the way up is this normal if not should i replace the level sensor or the gauge?
I plan on replacing the battery soon as I don't trust the one that is in it now i plan on getting the Batery Tender Lithium battery I've had them in other bikes I've owned and love them.
I'm sure I'll have other questions but for now these will do, the bike runs great and is a dream to ride. I might have a running rich problem but I haven't rode it enough to know for sure all I know is the exhaust smells a bit like gasoline and on the current tank so far I've rode 75 miles and the tank is at a quarter per the not so reliable gauge.

Thanks!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Well first off- welcome- and you’re going to love it. So, a couple things- as for oil, use a good quality synthetic- mobil1, amsoil, red line... as many opinions on oil as there are brands, so pick your favorite, 20w50 as long as it’s for a wet clutch (motorcycle specific). Tuners- lots of them too, Power Vision is a popular one. Check these guys out- excellent customer service Fuel Moto - Motorcycle EFI Tuning, Exhaust Components & Performance Components
The fuel gauge is notorious inaccurate- plenty of threads here about that too. Use the search function on this site... also- check post dates if you’re looking to buy parts or reply. And have fun

·
-MIG
86 Posts
WELCOME! ...and @Ceigenberger nailed it. Trust your trip meter more than your fuel gauge and I do recommend you download a copy of the service manual. I've kept my girl stock, but you'll find plenty of folks here who haven't to help you out.
-MIG

·
VRSC est -03
3,095 Posts
Welcome to 1130cc! (y)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts