Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy a 2005 vrod screamin eagle with 3500 miles. Looks in perfect condition. Not sure if it is worth it to purchase the 2 year warranty for $1100. Any opinions please? :notworth:

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Welcome!
The Revolution motor has been proven to be "almost" bulletproof. There are countless members with over 60k miles, a few near 100k, and one with over 150k nearly trouble free miles.
Most warranty plans can be canceled, and a prorated amount refunded to the buyer, if you are skeptical. Ask the seller about it.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
3500 miles, holy smokes you're gett'en a good deal :)... It always amazes me the low miles that are put on Rods, it's like people buy it, take it out for a ride and either they don't like it or it scared them, I've never been able to figure it out... That motor isn't even broken in yet :)... Congrats on the new Rod... As for the warranty, I think they are a waste of money but then I do all my own wrenching... Whenever a salesman tries to sell me on extended warranty, I always say, "Why? Is this going to break after the regular warranty is over?" That usually shuts them up :)... Like what Dave said, do the push back and say its either part of the deal or no deal and be prepared to get up and start walking out the door... Chances are they will throw it in to get it off their floor...

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
I wouldn't either, like the others have said. How much are they asking for the bike?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Dude,
Here's a 2005 I found on Craigs List in Florida for $12,000.00 with about the same miles. I will ALWAYS buy from an individual, never a dealer, but that's just me. These individuals selling are WAY more desperate to sell and will always sell cheaper than a dealer.

2005 Harley Davidson Screaming Eagle vrod vrscse. Has 2667 miles on it. have windshield, extra mufflers, 2 keys, fob and gold key. Asking $12000 obo. If interested call 941-626-5179

It's been for sale a few weeks. My guess is that he would take $11,000.00.
Check him out and no, I don't know him, I did a statewide search down there.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
A low mileage 05 SE shows a retail value of 14,800,+ 545 because it's electronically injected.This will never happen in todays economy.
Reality on an 05 low mileage A+ good,not exellent,is 10,975 + 370 for the efi.Forget the efi and that 05 in A+ good condition should sell for 11 grand in todays market.A good kind hearted dealer will pay 500 less than 11 grand,which is the average black book auction value.

$1100 is way to much money for a 2 year warranty contract.Get the 7 year contract for $1500,or none.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Desperate to Sell

Dude,
Here's a 2005 I found on Craigs List in Florida for $12,000.00 with about the same miles. I will ALWAYS buy from an individual, never a dealer, but that's just me. These individuals selling are WAY more desperate to sell and will always sell cheaper than a dealer...
Not in my experience. I have always found that dealerships have absolutely NO love for the vehicle, but the private owner (especially if it is the original owner) cannot stand to take a low price on their beloved vehicle that they once treasured so much.

The dealership bought it to close the deal on another new sale at a lowball price or they bought it at auction for even cheaper. Either way, their only goal is to make at least a dollar and keep the showroom fresh. If its been on the showroom for 30 days, it has to go! A minimal profit will take it (bird in the hand).

A good salesman never covets the item, but loathes its presence. He'd rather have the money. On the contrary; rarely will you ever find a private owner that will take any price for the vehicle, and if you do, you don't want it either.

·
vrod-holland
55 Posts
hello,i am new here.
like it, and wooo what a lot of v-rod's, in holland there are like 100.
and the v-rod night special, is 21800 euro here new.
and than the parts that you have.
where can i find a catalogue, whit just v-rod parts.
if there is reply on this mail, where do i fint it.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
where can i find a catalogue, whit just v-rod parts.
Welcome!
You can get a VROD parts catalog, for your year bike, at your Harley dealer. Or you could try Ebay.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Not in my experience. I have always found that dealerships have absolutely NO love for the vehicle, but the private owner (especially if it is the original owner) cannot stand to take a low price on their beloved vehicle that they once treasured so much.

The dealership bought it to close the deal on another new sale at a lowball price or they bought it at auction for even cheaper. Either way, their only goal is to make at least a dollar and keep the showroom fresh. If its been on the showroom for 30 days, it has to go! A minimal profit will take it (bird in the hand).

A good salesman never covets the item, but loathes its presence. He'd rather have the money. On the contrary; rarely will you ever find a private owner that will take any price for the vehicle, and if you do, you don't want it either.
You name ANY bike you want and within 1 month, AT THE MOST, I can/will find a private seller that will sell it for KBB trade in value. I have bought 8 bikes in the last 2 years, ALL at or BELOW KBB trade in value, everyone !!! You will NOT hardly find a 30 day bike at a dealer that you can buy for KBB trade in value. Go watch your local dealer and see bikes he has had for 10 months !!!!!!!
You only need to look around and spend some time searching. I have a search engine that will search an entire state of Craigs List ads at the same time.
I'm not arguing with you, just stating from personal experience what I said above. I gaurantee you the OP is NOT getting a 2005 SE VROD for the price the above mentioned private seller will sell his for. I anxiously await the OP's answer to the question, "How much for the bike at the dealership?"

·
Registered
245 Posts

Also, there are alot of sellers out there still living in the days of yesteryear, like 10 years ago, when you had to order a Harley and wait 2 years to get it, those days are lloooonnnnggggg gone !!!
I've passed on numerous Harleys the last 2 years at a couple hundred over KBB trade in value.

Peace.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Yep,kbb less $500 is what dealers are paying,on the average.I'm on my way to sell one in a few minutes to the dealer I bought it from,but at least i will be able to get something out of my stuff before this crunch sets in tight.It's almost completely in full force right now.A couple more months and we will see some serious unemployment figures.
In todays market,most anyone holding out for retail or more does not need to sell and can afford to sit on it.
I just left a single employee indy shop to discuss right now pricing,and what I expect the local dealer to pay me is within hundreds.This particular person I spoke with is buying and restoring at least 1 pan,or knuckle a month for resale.He gets 30k for a bike.When someone is ready to buy,he breaks one out of the barn he stores them in,they either pay 30 grand,or walk!
Late model run of the mill bikes are a dime a dozen on this the flooded market.I'm talkin Harley here,nothing else matters to me.
V-Rod and Sportster has taken a large hit for any value to the seller.
From what I have learned in the past week or 2,it is going to be at least 2 years before pricing catches up to retail value on 10 year and newer Harley's.
Come the first of the year here in Florida,we will most likely see a couple more % increase in unemployment from all the people that will be fired from the space program.

Since there isn't anything to offer the world from the USA anymore but ideas,I sure hope I come up with some good ones!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts