Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally did it, I bought my first HD and I most say I couldn't be happier!! I started out riding in high school, back in '85 on a '80 something Yamaha 650 special, then to a '80 something Suzuki GS550, a '84 Honda Nighthawk 450, and until 3 weeks ago a '84 Honda Nighthawk 650 which I'm still keeping around. Not the greatest list of bikes, and probably not one that most would admit to, but hey, I was on 2 wheels. I've always admired the HD's and knew I would someday have to have one. I think I picked a good one, the '04 VRSCB V-ROD Harley orange.

I'm really excited about all the different mods that can be done to the bike, and even though it is straight up stock at this time, I just love the feel, performance, and overall look of the bike. I'm not a big gear head, and will admit I don't know much about bikes. Although I've been riding for almost 20 years, I still don't feel like I've got that much experience. But I feel confident that with this forum and all your experience that any questions or problems I have will be alot less scary. Thanks in advance to all of ya.

I did have to go through the crappy overflow cap experience, which pissed me off, but I'm over it now. I ordered it from the dealer, but couldn't get it till this coming Thursday, so what I did was put some fueling in each broken piece and placed it so no kinks happened. I'm hoping that this temp fix will not harm anything, maybe some of you could answer that for me. But I just couldn't let it sit in the garage. I didn't think that line was that pressure sensitive and if it did happen to kink that pressure would just blow the tubing out and I'd be back to the same way it was. My coolant level is still good and it would just trickle out, not pour. The fix seems to has worked and it doesn't leak and I'm not over heating, so it worked in a pinch. If any of ya think this might harm it or the tune, please let me know ASAP.

I think I've found the look I'm looking for as well. The "Phat-Rod" kit on www.v-mod.com has really caught my eye. Any comments or ideas or concerns on this kit please let me know. I like the clean short rear fender and the wide tire look and of course I want the Harley rumble from the pipes and maybe you guys can point me in the right direction.

One of my biggest concerns about the bike is what original, ole boy Harley riders think about the V-Rod. I know it says HD on the side, but it is very much different from everything else. I'm going to be proud to roll up on it either way, but I would kinda like to know if the bike is accepted by the majority rather than just the V-Rod owners. I rolled up to 3 big Harley's cruising down one of the drags here in Phoenix Saturday and rode with them for some miles. It was quite a thrill and besides the sound I felt like I fit right in. I don't think I've ever felt that cool in my entire life. Thanks whomever you guys/gals were. I never would have had the guts or even thought of doing that on my Honda. I want to have that rumble I love to hear so much, so please help me to pick the right pipes and again thanks in advance for all your advice.

Sorry for being so wordy, I'm just excited to be a part of all this. Hope to see ya all out there on the rode.

Daniel B. Hughes
'04 VRSCB Harley Orange
Stock
:vrod:
:cheers:

·
Fries with that?
1,541 Posts
Hey! Welcome to the best lil' corner of the Internet! :)

Who cares what others think - We ride what we ride because that's what WE love!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
asabigdano said:
and of course I want the Harley rumble from the pipes and maybe you guys can point me in the right direction.
Congrats!! If you want the Harley sound w/o spending a lot of $$,then get your stock mufflers V-Modded. They sound great, and you will sound better than anything coming out of the pipes of the air cooled tractors.

·
Avenger Hawk
635 Posts
:welcome:

If you like to look of the stock exhaust, then v-mod is the way to go otherwise there is a large selection and several post here on the forum.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
It'll never really sound like a 'traditional' HD (45 vs 60 degree v-twin), twice the rpm. The advantage of the 16ga SE pipes is that there is a factory download which seems to work pretty good. All others require a fuel injection mod of some sort or other.

Welcome to our party.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My standard reply to: "That ain't a real Harley!"

"They took real money for it!"

And besides I bought it for me not everyone else!

·
Registered
257 Posts
:vrodforu:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
qcwiz said:
My standard reply to: "That ain't a real Harley!"

If you use, "Wanna Run Em"
They always Shut Up!!!!
Then Give em the :alien:

:rofl2:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you folks, thank you for all the advice and suggestions, and for making me feel at home. I've really been enjoying riding and infact made it to the Laughlin River Run, which was my first run. I had a blast and really enjoyed the ride. I got to see Lynard Skynard, which was a real thrill. Having the time of my life. I also got to hear the modded stock pipes and I think I will go with that sound. What else is needed once I get them on? I'm sure I'll have to do something with the computer, but will the efi flash work or should I go all out with the power commander and get it dyno'd?

Thanks in advance

Daniel B. Hughes

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
welcome to the forum... I enjoyed myself at bike week out there in Phoenix.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
thought about what pipes you are going with yet?

If you want loud with performance, the D&D Performance 2 into 1 system is what I have, and several others on here have turbo techs 2 into 1, both make a ton of power and great sound, IMHO the D&D is louder and sounds allot better but the Turbo Techs make a couple more ponies.

(Dont tell these guys on here I said that about the Turbos, they wont let me live it down :mrgr:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts