Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I just bought my first vrod last weekend and so far I love it! She is a 2005 VRSCA with screaming eagle end pipes and a few other mods.

I have been searching this and other forums but my google-fu seems to be lacking today :lamer: so i am hoping you guys can help!

Over winter i am looking to do a few mods in prep for next year. I am really interested in the 5 gal tank conversion and getting a wider wheel put on the back (she currently has a 200 on there). I was just wondering what everyones thoughts were on the tank conversion, will it be compatible with the SE pipes? And is it possible to put a 240 or 250 on without breaking the bank or would you guys recommend going for a 300?

Thanks all, hope you had a great thanksgiving

Martin

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Look up budget saver 240 and you will see that the 240/250 can be done for the cheapest amount compared to a 300. The S-E exhaust will work just fine with the 5 gallon tank and the 240 tire. Good luck and :vrodforu:

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
A 240 conversion isn't bad. A 300 requires a complete custom swingarm and I wouldn't do one without getting a bearing support plate for the front pulley which will add some bucks. The only thing you may have problems with (not sure since I don't run any) is that the stock belt guards may need to be trimmed down.

I don't have the tank conversion but if you are doing a bunch of long rides you will want one. In case you didn't know, the fuel gauge is completely worthless. Use the trip and fill up around 100-110 miles (depending on how hard you throttle!) with the stock tank. If you plan on doing air adjustable suspension check to make sure the new tank works because I believe the compressor goes down around the tank. Not sure but I think so.

My other suggestion is to do something about the stock seat. It sucks! I want to put an air bag in mine but haven't found anyone who will do the work (you need an air stapler). Maybe I will just go buy one, you can never have too many tools!

-Keith

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. The missus has already complained about the seat, I have been looking around to see what other people are using.

Definitely need to look into the tire mod more but that tanks conversion sounds pretty straight forward - he says!

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Seat- Sundowner!!!!

Fuel Tank- Unlimited Eng. We did mine and it was actually pretty easy. No trimming or anything Really straight forward. Cheaper and Made in the USA!! It also has a guard built in the brace of it for the belt. :D

Why do you want to go to a wider tire? Just curious. I know it takes away the handling of the bike. Like I said just curious and also just my .02.

Joe

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Changing out the tank is a fairly ez job to do... It depends on what type of rider you are? Do you like to hit the roads and put on 700 miles in a weekend? If so, then yes change out the tank, it's money well spent... If your more of a porch rider, then the 3 gal tank will do you just fine...

Unless your going for the wide look, I'd stay 240 on the rear, the bike will handle in the corners better... That's my 2 cents...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm putting in the Ultimate Engineering tank on my '05 over the next month or so. I have to put new tires on also so it will ready for the conversion with the rear tire already off. I'm sticking with the 180 rear, never really needed anthing more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys, appreciate all the posts.

I guess the seat should be the first priority, if the little lady ain't happy - nobody is! I'll take a look at the sundowner. I heard great things about the Bitchn Seat Co but they are a wee bit pricey and don't do one for the 05 from what i could see.

Like i said, i currently have a 200 on the rear, just like the look of the wider tire and if i could get away with it with little or no modifications.

Thanks again, can't wait to get out riding some more!

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Welcome to the Family!:moped:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
:vrodforu:
240 or bust! UE ive been on the fence about, but I have Arnotts in my scopes at this moment....

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
thanks guys, appreciate all the posts.

I guess the seat should be the first priority, if the little lady ain't happy - nobody is! I'll take a look at the sundowner. I heard great things about the Bitchn Seat Co but they are a wee bit pricey and don't do one for the 05 from what i could see.

Like i said, i currently have a 200 on the rear, just like the look of the wider tire and if i could get away with it with little or no modifications.

Thanks again, can't wait to get out riding some more!
I ran the Sundowner on my 05, very comfortable seat and for the passenger too...

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
:vrodforu:
240 or bust! UE ive been on the fence about, but I have Arnotts in my scopes at this moment....
I just talked to Arnott yesterday, they are about 2.5 weeks out on their kits for V-Rods... PM me if you decide you want to get them, I can save you some money...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks TBonez, and thanks everyone for the warm welcome.... can't wait for spring!

I have seen a lot of posts about Menz tires? Would a 240 fit on my standard rim? Would i need to modify/change the rear fender?

Thanks all, happy Friday!

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Welcome!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts