Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got back from spain and france last week,and had the bike in friday to fit 2 new tyres, stuck with the dunlops as i have had no issues with them and they have lasted 8000 miles.cost £297 fitted seamed reasonable as it took him 3 hours to do it.he spent nearly an hour masking the wheels up so he wouldn't scratch them.looking forward to the next 8000.

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,412 Posts
diverse said:
Surprised you didn't go for a 260 Metz? I'm not a fan of the Dunlops TBH, I would like something a little grippier.
:them: As long as you are happy with the Dunlops, then stick with them..

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
diverse said:
Surprised you didn't go for a 260 Metz? I'm not a fan of the Dunlops TBH, I would like something a little grippier.
i think the 240 is wide enough,some of the bikes you see now with these enormous rear tyres look like something out a cartoon.i followed my mate the other who has a harley chop with a 300 rear and when he was going round corners half the tyre was lifting off the road i als had a ride on it and frankly it handled like a piece of shit.as to grip going over the pyranees 2 up piled high with luggage i was highly impressed with the handling of the dx ,on the tight left handers i was scraping the side stand.i did the same route last year on a roadking,but the dx beats it handsdown in all respects even for comfort!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
just changed my Dunlops for the same -got 7100 out of them, not bad. However, the new set took a good 150 miles to bed in. I was not very comfortable at all on them initially, but now I have my 'old bike' back. I also got them 'Ultrasealed' and want to see how much extra that gives over time. I only did the last set way into their life before taking her to Europe for a tour.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have just changed my Dunlops (at 8,000 miles) for Metz - same size (240etc) but I am keen to what the Metz are like compared to the Dunlops..

The old Dunlops were fine in the dry but I am hoping the Metz will be a little better in the wet - other than that, the price was very good £220 for both!!

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
Skellum said:
I have just changed my Dunlops (at 8,000 miles) for Metz - same size (240etc) but I am keen to what the Metz are like compared to the Dunlops..

The old Dunlops were fine in the dry but I am hoping the Metz will be a little better in the wet - other than that, the price was very good £220 for both!!
Darn good price

·
Registered
317 Posts
7-8000 miles?!?!?

Is this the norm? Only used to running sports bikes, or are you all just to light with that throttle hand?

I have done around 3,500 on my R and was looking at changing it soonish, but a puncture has brought the purchase forward.

Went with another 207 as i don't need to change the front out just yet, and hopefully have some 17inch Marchesini's coming, so sticky sport tyres for them. Paid £116 for the rear.

·
Registered
286 Posts
mac53 said:
7-8000 miles?!?!?

Is this the norm? Only used to running sports bikes, or are you all just to light with that throttle hand?

I have done around 3,500 on my R and was looking at changing it soonish, but a puncture has brought the purchase forward.

Went with another 207 as i don't need to change the front out just yet, and hopefully have some 17inch Marchesini's coming, so sticky sport tyres for them. Paid £116 for the rear.
I did about 7,000 on my last bike (05SE) before I changed the Dunlops so I reckon it's about right... It will be interesting to see how many I get out of the Metz..

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Skinbo said:
Nice one Jim - you Hoggin the Bridge this year? A chance to meet up if you are.

Skin
if it's not pissing down!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Christine said:
So are the 240 Dunlops cheaper than the 180s? That doesn't seem right!!!!
I think this lot have only just started in the UK so weren't around when I bought my last Dunlops .. I bet they do a good price for the Dunlop180's as well - here is the link... http://www.moto-tyres.co.uk

·
Battery Guy
582 Posts
I changed my original Dunlops for Metzeler 880 Marathon's front and rear at 12K but that was because I had a 2 inch woodscrew right through the rear tyre otherwise I'd have got another 3K out of it. There does not seem to be any great difference in performance but the Metz seem to roll into a bend much easier but that may be because they are newer and not have a flatter mid section worn in. Tell you what I have noticed is tiny flakes of rubber "crumb" building up on the off-side of the swing arm and shiny wear marks on the tyre shoulder also the Metz seem to run much hotter than the Dunlops.

·
Registered
87 Posts
only got 3000 miles out of my stock rear dunlop just put a 200 avon on it cost me £95 fitted to a loose wheel .an ebay bargain

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BigDave789 said:
I changed my original Dunlops for Metzeler 880 Marathon's front and rear at 12K but that was because I had a 2 inch woodscrew right through the rear tyre otherwise I'd have got another 3K out of it. There does not seem to be any great difference in performance but the Metz seem to roll into a bend much easier but that may be because they are newer and not have a flatter mid section worn in. Tell you what I have noticed is tiny flakes of rubber "crumb" building up on the off-side of the swing arm and shiny wear marks on the tyre shoulder also the Metz seem to run much hotter than the Dunlops.
you got 12000 out of your rear tyre!! WOW!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts