Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WELL GUYS, I DON'T KNOW IF ANYONE HAS "REVIEWED" THEIR EXPERIENCE WITH THIS KIT, BUT I WAS SO HAPPY WITH IT I JUST WANTED TO SHARE.

IT IS THE FRONT LOWERING KIT FORM "TOXIC BIKES"
TOXIC:
http://www.toxicincbikes.com/servlet/Categories

EBAY:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/V-Rod-FRONT-Suspension-Fork-Spring-Lowering-Kit-vrod-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ370129200496QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I FOUND IT ON EBAY AND AFTER "A COUPLE" QUESTIONS THAT SCOTT VERY NICELY ANSWERED, AND HE WAS KIND ENOUGH TO COMBINE SHIPPING FOR VARIOUS ITEMS!!! :broke: :)

YOU WILL NOTICE FROM THE PICS HOW SIMPLE THE PROCEDURE IS: AN IDIOT LIKE ME DID IT IN MAYBE 1 HOUR, SO MOST OF YOU WILL FIND IT A JOKE! AFTER THE VARIOUS THREADS I'VE READ OF PEOPLE HAVING A MESS WITH THE PROGRESSIVE KIT AND OTHERS SELLING THEM 'CAUSE THEY DIDN'T EVEN DARE INSTALLING THEM, I KNEW THIS WAS FOR ME... :banghead:

JUST REMOVE THE UPPER FORK NUTS WITH THE TOOL THEY PROVIDE WITH THE KIT, REMOVE THE STOCK SPACERS AND REPLACE WITH THE SHORTER ONES ON THE KIT, RE-BOLT THE NUT BACK AND VOILà!!! YOU HAVE A SLAMMED BIKE WITH YOUR STOCK SPRINGS!!! JUST MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW THE INCLUDED INSTRUCTIONS AND HOLD THE NUT FROM ABOVE APPLYING COUNTER PRESSURE (DOWNWARD) WHILE REMOVING TO AVOID IT FLYING ACCROSS YOUR GARAGE, THAT'S IT!

IT COMES IN 1", 1.5"AND 2", MINE IS THE 1.5" AND I NOTICED THE DIFFERENCE IMMEDIATELY SINCE THE BLOCK I USE UNDER THE JIFFY STAND TO STRAIGHTEN THE BIKE FOR PICS WAS ALREADY TOO HIGH WITH THE LOWERED END.

THIS IS A LITTLE THANK YOU FOR SCOTT AT TOXIC BIKES FOR THE GREAT SERVICE HE PROVIDED ME! :notworth:

HERE ARE PICS, IT IS A 2005 VRSC-SE

1) TOOL PROVIDED TO REMOVE UPPER NUT
2) WHEN YOU SEE THE O-RING, YOU'RE JUST A COUPLE TURNS AWAY TO LOOSEN COMPLETELY, SO MAKE SURE TO COUNTER-PRESSURE DOWNWARD
3) STOCK SPACER, POPS-UP WHEN YOU LOOSEN THE NUT
4) STOCK AND SHORTER SPACERS COMPARED, 1.5" SHORTER
5) SHORTER SPACER INSTALLED IN FORK
6) BEFORE
7) AFTER
8) BEFORE
9) AFTER
10) LOL!!!

THE LAST ONE WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW "DIFFICULT" IT WAS, LMFAO!!! :D

Attachments

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
I almost hate to tell you this, but rather than a $64 kit, you can use PVC pipe and cut it to the length you want. Cost is about $2.

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha! I thought about that when I did the installation, but without knowing beforehand how were the spacers, measurements, etc.... Then again, I can't complaint, the bike rides great, i dont have to worry if the tube will handle the load, rust with time, etc and it's half the price of the next "cheapest" alternative anyways.

·
Dean
775 Posts
How about giving us a performance review?

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I honestly don't notice any change in performance or handling, and the 1.5" lowered is not THAT much as to bother going over sidewalks on parkings, etc. And believe, some roads in PR where I live are REally bumpy...

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
To me it would seem as if there is no performance gain just looks. The Progressive kit for just shy of 100 bucks replaces the springs.

·
Registered
216 Posts
To me it would seem as if there is no performance gain just looks. The Progressive kit for just shy of 100 bucks replaces the springs.
Agreed.

It just seemed like cutting the stock spacer would be a free alternative to the toxic kit.

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I might say that in my case, I didn't have any changes in performance or riding, and believe, here in the streets of PR you would notice it in the milisecond! The toxic spacers are made of a different material, are thicker and have the holes you see in the pictures. IMHO maybe the holes also help in getting the oil better distributed between the tube and the outer chamber, I don't know. If I where any of you I would give it a try BUT I would make sure first to have a set of spare stock spacers JUST IN CASE! But probably those will be more expensive than this kit or even the Progressives...

In any case, I decided for this kit since I wasn't sure the bike could handle the lowering in some of our umpredictable streets without bumping underneath, and in case I had to change it back to stock I would prefer to unbolt two nuts and change 2 spacers than re-live the trauma (as per other people) of changing the whole spring set AND the oil, etc... BTW, as soon as I made a test ride around my block after installing the front spoiler it got scratched underneath, so now I need to be XTRA careful with any bumps! :2cents:

PS: But slammed it looks SOOO NIIIIICE!!! LOL! :angeldev:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts