Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Looks great & love the color ! yea the exhaust has gotta go way too long & heavy - buy a SuperTrapp set of Fat Shots a Super Trapp V5 or a Bassani RR or B1 with a db reducer - I'm a former Masshole BostonRidgeback you'll be very happy with the R Model - don't lower it or screw it up trying to turn it into something it's not it's one of the best V Rods and certainly one of the best H-D's ever made - pretty much bulletproof - quick, fast, turns unlike most and is a looker - Win Win Win ! Welcome - ride safe & enjoy her she loves to be ridden like a bad boy would do it, just remember it's kinda like dancing with a fat chick fast - it can be done but you better be planning your moves way ahead of time - (y) :cool:

·
Registered
2008 VRSCD
30 Posts
Really cool bike man. I'm new too and didn't have any R for sale in my area but would have loved that... post more pics when you can?
But I couldn't get yours since I have all my red/black gear from sport bikes, lol.

Welcome!

·
Registered
Black 2007 VRSCD
135 Posts
I just picked up an 06 R-model. I love it. The only thing I'll likely change is the exhaust.
Welcome to 1130cc forums the right place for anything VROD. And everyone here is willing to help you spend all your money on your bike. :) We are just givers that way.

Very nice bike, great choice the "R" the one that can do u-turns and run canyons! LOL

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks great & love the color ! yea the exhaust has gotta go way too long & heavy - buy a SuperTrapp set of Fat Shots a Super Trapp V5 or a Bassani RR or B1 with a db reducer - I'm a former Masshole BostonRidgeback you'll be very happy with the R Model - don't lower it or screw it up trying to turn it into something it's not it's one of the best V Rods and certainly one of the best H-D's ever made - pretty much bulletproof - quick, fast, turns unlike most and is a looker - Win Win Win ! Welcome - ride safe & enjoy her she loves to be ridden like a bad boy would do it, just remember it's kinda like dancing with a fat chick fast - it can be done but you better be planning your moves way ahead of time - (y) :cool:
I live in the Boston Mountains in AR. I'm looking for a set of screaming eagle exhaust slipons. I like that look a lot. And they're shorter. I found a guy that's selling his set from an 03 but I'm not sure they'll fit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really cool bike man. I'm new too and didn't have any R for sale in my area but would have loved that... post more pics when you can?
But I couldn't get yours since I have all my red/black gear from sport bikes, lol.

Welcome!
These are all I have ATM.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Boston Mountains in Arkansas ?? :oops: From flat Florida I've got to drive 9 hours to get to the mountains to really enjoy my R so I'm jealous as hell ! 😄 Oh Man are you going to have fun with that R Model !! Just remember to plan your corners entrance, apex and exits to use the whole lane and practice braking with both brakes before the corners and remember you can drag the rear brake in the corner to get her to turn tighter if you're going wide. Also fast S turns take extra precautions as she doesn't like to do them on her own - you have to plan ahead and let the bike lean beneath you like a dirt bike rather than leaning with the bike at higher speed or she'll head off to the side of the road. Scared the crap outta myself the first time I tried to do 80 Mph thru a set of S's so just be careful and sneak up on higher speeds - Don't think the curved S/Eagle slip-ons from an early bike will fit it's got a completely different auxiliary chamber. Look at the TAB rolled edge or slash cut baffled slip - on's I put a set on my R they looked and sounded great only like $ 300 vs $ 600 for SuperTrapp slip - on's but you can add or subtract discs on the S/T's to customize sound and backpressure and they're very light so they're worth it. Good luck let us know if you need anything and how you like the bike ! (y):cool:

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Also it looks like your bike has lowering blocks on the rear shocks ? If so you should take them off asap as they make the bike lower in the rear but also harder to steer so not good in the mountains -

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Yea I agree - I'm a blue guy ( dark blue metallic MBenz & T/Blazer SS ) but that lighter blue with the base metallic shine really complements the silver and chrome on the bike, much better than my in your face mirage orange R Model. REALLY looking forward to painting my spare set of tins with CVO Cobalt Blue Metallic when I get the down time - I need the R radiator shrouds yet for a full set to paint - (y) :cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Boston Mountains in Arkansas ?? :oops: From flat Florida I've got to drive 9 hours to get to the mountains to really enjoy my R so I'm jealous as hell ! 😄 Oh Man are you going to have fun with that R Model !! Just remember to plan your corners entrance, apex and exits to use the whole lane and practice braking with both brakes before the corners and remember you can drag the rear brake in the corner to get her to turn tighter if you're going wide. Also fast S turns take extra precautions as she doesn't like to do them on her own - you have to plan ahead and let the bike lean beneath you like a dirt bike rather than leaning with the bike at higher speed or she'll head off to the side of the road. Scared the crap outta myself the first time I tried to do 80 Mph thru a set of S's so just be careful and sneak up on higher speeds - Don't think the curved S/Eagle slip-ons from an early bike will fit it's got a completely different auxiliary chamber. Look at the TAB rolled edge or slash cut baffled slip - on's I put a set on my R they looked and sounded great only like $ 300 vs $ 600 for SuperTrapp slip - on's but you can add or subtract discs on the S/T's to customize sound and backpressure and they're very light so they're worth it. Good luck let us know if you need anything and how you like the bike ! (y):cool:
I tried out an 07 NRS for about a year. It handled like shit in the turns. You just about had to counter-steer to get it to turn. I used to play around on the club circuit. And be a hooligan on the streets with sportbikes. 98 CBR 600F3 and an 04 gixxer 750. I'm fine on the curves. This place is twisty road heaven. This R is so much more nimble than the NRS. You're lucky to see a 1/4 mile of straight road in 10 miles. How much louder are the TAB slip-ons? I looked at them. I like the screaming eagle look to them. And the price is reasonable.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
BRB - so the Tabs were a little bit loud for my taste - not terrible but I'm trying to save what's left of my right ear after 30 years of riding and racing loud off road bikes and 40+ years working on noisy aircraft so on a scale of 1-10 I'd say my goal is a 5-6 max - without earplugs, so I don't have to short shift the engine to avoid ear bleeds. The Tabs were a 7.5 so after riding for a year or so I bought two Super Trapp sheet metal conical exit caps which snubbed down the outlets of the Tab baffle diameter about a 1/4 inch all the way around which made them OK for me. The Kerkers may be a bit longer than the Tabs and a bit quieter, maybe someone here knows ? The rolled edge Tabs may be a couple db's quieter than the slash cut also due to a little longer length, you could ask them, also now the Tabs are repackable which is good. The roads up there sound really awesome ! Yes, an R she handles better than the DX for sure - when you want some more of that put the shocks back on the OEM mounts start at #2 or 3 on the preload and you'll be very impressed - I also moved the back wheel farther fwd. in the swingarm slot with a 30 tooth fwd. pulley and 28 tooth belt, but I don't recommend that in in the mountains, too tall gearing. Good luck with the slip -ons ! (y):cool:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I tried out an 07 NRS for about a year. It handled like shit in the turns. You just about had to counter-steer to get it to turn. I used to play around on the club circuit. And be a hooligan on the streets with sportbikes. 98 CBR 600F3 and an 04 gixxer 750. I'm fine on the curves. This place is twisty road heaven. This R is so much more nimble than the NRS. You're lucky to see a 1/4 mile of straight road in 10 miles. How much louder are the TAB slip-ons? I looked at them. I like the screaming eagle look to them. And the price is reasonable.
BostonRidgeBack--the BAFFLED Tab Slip Ons are pretty civil. A low growl without ear drum bleed. The video below has the baffled TAB Slip Ons in the Dyno Both, then later on the street--street audio is both inside the helmet and out. Welcome to the forum. Lots a of great content and folks here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BostonRidgeBack--the BAFFLED Tab Slip Ons are pretty civil. A low growl without eardrum bleed. The video below has the baffled TAB Slip Ons in the Dyno Both, then later on the street--street audio is both inside the helmet and out. Welcome to the forum. Lots of great content and folks here.
I agree. It's a pretty good community. Much less BS than FaceBag IMO. I'm 95% on the TAB slash-cut. Admittedly, I'm not too worried about getting more power. I just want something that looks and sounds better than it does now. I'm hoping to find a 'local' shop that can tune it. I'm assuming it will need it after installing the pipes. I live 2.5 miles from the pavement on a hand-built forest road. And then, it's another hour to any large town. There are a few shops around. But, I'm not sure whether or if they're good at tuning bikes or not. I'm hoping not to have to ride too far to get it done right.

·
Registered Insane
2003 VRSCA
265 Posts
I'm a former Masshole
Hey SRS...ME 2! I lived in various houses, but all in Wo-oo-rcest-ah-r County after graduating from Cla-h-rk University. I always wanted a BIG F-350 with a snowplow on it all year long with a -NO LEFT TURN- sign painted on it! You know what I'm talkin' about...that would have been WICKED PISSAH to drop that mofo at an intersection right at the green light!

Sorry to jack your thread BRB. Hey I think I noticed you on Facebook but never said "hi". The information here at 1130cc is much more in-depth and technically savvy than anything you'd find on FB. Welcome!

-Sean (Born and Bred Western New Yorker, part-time Floridian)

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
(y) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::D Funny Masshole Accent you got there KMC ! in the late 60's & 70's Mass was a great place to grow up we used to have the cops chasing us on our dirt bikes down the high line towers by our Mx track, down the RR tracks spraying them with RR bed rocks, good times ! Glad I'm not there now, be arrested in about 10 minutes & the house I grew up in was 25K in the 60's over a Million now with taxes to match and it's 100 years old ! (n):confused: - Steve ( born & bred Masshole, visited western NY ( Camp Drum ) many times, full time Floridian R Model rider ) (y):cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts