Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 03 Vrod and its 100% comepletely stock. Some of the mods I know I am going to do is

1. the fuel tank swap.

Now what pipes would be recommened for best performance? a 4 into 1 or just keep the duals?

whats the benifit of a 240 or 260 rear tire? I was thinking of just going to a 200 rear.

Steering damphers will they help or doesnt it matter?

I have read different post about lowering the bike and such, I know what lowering a sport bike will do but whats the benifit of lowring a Vrod.

Also I am looking for a complete set of plastics I know from 2003 to 2007 they are interchangeable and good suggestions on some quality aftermarkets or a cheaper HD pastic vs what a harley dealer sells them for.

Low cost rims any suggestions? I just want something other then the solid rims that come standard I hear the wind really catches them.

Any suggestions and links to where I can find some of the info would be helpful and thanks.

·
blown08vrscdx
265 Posts
I bought a 03 Vrod and its 100% comepletely stock. Some of the mods I know I am going to do is

1. the fuel tank swap.

Good idea unless you like stopping all of the time

Now what pipes would be recommened for best performance? a 4 into 1 or just keep the duals?

Ask 5 people and get 12 responses, my personal pick is the D&D Fat Cat (FYI your bike has 2 Cylinders so unless you did a 2 into 4 into 1 like the hooker Fourbidden pipes then...

whats the benifit of a 240 or 260 rear tire? I was thinking of just going to a 200 rear.

Fat tires look cool and handle like crap

Steering damphers will they help or doesnt it matter?

Ride the bike for 1k and see what you want

I have read different post about lowering the bike and such, I know what lowering a sport bike will do but whats the benifit of lowring a Vrod.

Same benefits and same problems. Lower center of gravity gives stability and cornering ability. The lower the bike the more things on the road you need to be aware of and typically less shock travel so expect to bottom out and have a very stiff ride..

Also I am looking for a complete set of plastics I know from 2003 to 2007 they are interchangeable and good suggestions on some quality aftermarkets or a cheaper HD pastic vs what a harley dealer sells them for.

I'll let someone else handle this.. I would say as long as it is a VRSCA to VRSCA swap then rock n' roll

Low cost rims any suggestions? I just want something other then the solid rims that come standard I hear the wind really catches them.

Ok, this one got me to laugh.. Low cost & HD in the same sentence?

Any suggestions and links to where I can find some of the info would be helpful and thanks.

Responses in bold

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
now benefit to a 240 or 260 other than looks, and they handle just fine w/240 or 260. I'll take my 240 against any V out there excluding a 'R'

Pipes: I'm a big fan of the DIY VMOD. (removal of inner baffles)

Tins: '02-06 is direct swap, '07 and up will require working with front fender mount, and 240 rear fender will require lots of ingenuity to swap onto a 180 rear. I think that the airbox tin is universal swap for all years & models. The F airbox has the side covers affixed to it.

·
kelrushNZ
122 Posts
On the 240 size wheels i was concearned with handling before i bought my 07 which comes with the 240 on it, i have had it for 4 m-5 months and love it no problems, i have had the pirelli night dragon for 2 of those and made it even better

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the 240 size wheels i was concearned with handling before i bought my 07 which comes with the 240 on it, i have had it for 4 m-5 months and love it no problems, i have had the pirelli night dragon for 2 of those and made it even better

Well my friend has an 07 and he got different rims and he is willing to swap me his stock 07 rims which hve slots to allow some wind to pass through for my stock 03 rims. So I am thinking at least for now thats a good deal then if I ever want different rims I can just buy what ever. Good to see metzler is kickin arse on harleys I had them on every sport bike I have ever owned so makes my tire choice a no brainer.

The plastic the harley dealer told me 03 to 07 is a direct fit as I wanted to order extra tin for my 03 so I can do some custom paint work and still keep the original ann tin. According to my dealer if you order the 03 tin harley wants you to do it by vin number then its a swap as they want the tin your replacing back.

All in all I am excited this is the 1st harley I will own and I think I am going to have a ton of fun. Only down side is now I think I have to get a new bike lift and sell my metric tools. LOL.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The body panels you refer to as plastic are actually aluminum. Airbox cover, front fender, rear fender are all aluminum. The only model with plastic body parts is the F, "Muscle", and you can see the the two current threads that discuss how people like it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you wont need to replace your metric tools, because all the nuts and bolts on your vrod are metric...you see the vrod is a harley in name only...Porsche designed the motor!!!!!
No $%&#? wow well then I bought from the wrong sales person as he agreeded with all of the things I said and I will be the 1st to admit I dont know much if anything about harleys.

well I got a good bike think I am gonna be happy with it, just want to max out the performance while still keeping it a good road bike.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have an 03, nice choice. While I also had vmodded pipes and they rattled all the time. The biggest problem with the stock pipe was its too big, heavy, and its like a lost and found once you remove it! I found my old set of keys in there, which you might think would explain the rattle, but it rattled before that.

I bought a VH comp and the bike has never ridden or sounded better.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'm pretty sure the 200 rear will be the biggest you can go without having to get a 240 or up conversion kit but it can be done plenty of bikes 02-06 on this forum atest to that
Ok well I will check out the whole 240 conversion a friend of mine upgraded his rims on his 07 and said I can have his stock set which as you know has a 240 rear.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
A Harley in name only ? ? Yeah the whole god dam thing was built in Germany by Porsche.

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
Ok well I will check out the whole 240 conversion a friend of mine upgraded his rims on his 07 and said I can have his stock set which as you know has a 240 rear.
Read the 'budget 240 mod' in the how too section for som good info about that.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Read the 'budget 240 mod' in the how too section for som good info about that.
Yeah I will, and thanks to everyone who has given me some help so far. I am 100% sure I am going to

1. do the tank conversion

2. Steering Dampher

3. Stage one kit (just not sure of the pipes)

4. 240 Rear end conversion

I will be ording different "Tin" from ghost rider customs Since I want to do some custom paint but dont want to mess up the original 100th ann signed tin thats on my bike now.

I have also seen on this sight about the air shocks are they really that much better?

Also since I havent taken delivery yet (I go pay for it on 26 July 2010) is the Vrod a high rev bike or a low rev bike? I am comming from Honda's the last bike I had (traded it in for the vrod) was a Honda RC51 which is a vtwin and I had to shift different then on my Honda 929 witch is a I4. Now that I think about it I havent ridden a "cruiser style" bike since 1988 LOL.

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Watch video,"Birth of the V-Rod". Get a several spray cans of Denim Black paint . Shoot your anondized aluminum skins . Get your chrome engine and heat shields powder coated black.Call it the "P4" experiment.

·
Registered
82 Posts
rode 30000 miles so far on this bike ,2004 a rod have no problems with wind on solids , usal stuff though when near 18 wheelers at 80 mph , just get the hell past em lol, havent laid a wrench on engine other than valve set, cam chains tighten and new plugs, synthetic since new, purrs great , I find traditional harley owners dislike em becaue 1. they are way quicker 2. they dont leak LOL 3. they are quiet LOL, Have tee shirt that says if it is loud it must be slow LOL, great bike , have ridden mani in 40 years , this amy first HD , wont ride anything else , 1st bike was 69 750 Honda sorry first real bike ,1st bike was 305 superhawk Honda had 73 Z! Kawasaki and couple ducats

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Welcome to the Family!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok i got 1 more week of riding before I put my Vrod away and taking the advice of someone I talked to earlier I didnt touch the bike at all other then oil changes ect.

I have put about 9,000 miles on the bike since I took delivery went to NC and a few other places plus some around the town and in state riding.

Now I am 100% sure about the tank conversion as stopping every 100to 110 miles just bit arse.

I am still 100% sure about painting the bike black (always wanted a all black harley). Question is paint or have the alum powercoat if I dont buy new tin.

I am going to do the 240 conversion only cause I am going to change the tank and the conversion isnt all that hard once everything is taken apart.

Not sure on what pipes to get though.

All in all I should have bought a vrod back when they first came out.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.