Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi V-Rod enthusiast I’m new to this forum and excited to join the team.

I have a 2003 VRSCA 100th Anniversary and unfortunately have never flushed the coolant system. As you can imagine it shows some build up and I would like to ask for suggestion on the best way to clean the system. Are there any cleaning products/ solutions anyone would recommend to help break up and dissolve the build up? I do not want to use anything that could damage the aluminum engine components. Maybe just a 50/50 solution of Distilled Vinager and water flush? I may need to replace the hoses but wanted advise on cleaning first from the V-Rod masters on this forum.

I also intend to open the water pump to clean out impeller cavity and inner pump. I have all the gaskets on order to put it back together but since it has been neglected so long want to do a really good cleaning/ flush. I sure would appreciate any suggestions and look forward to any advise.
Automotive lighting Auto part

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Hi V-Rod enthusiast I’m new to this forum and excited to join the team.

I have a 2003 VRSCA 100th Anniversary and unfortunately have never flushed the coolant system. As you can imagine it shows some build up and I would like to ask for suggestion on the best way to clean the system. Are there any cleaning products/ solutions anyone would recommend to help break up and dissolve the build up? I do not want to use anything that could damage the aluminum engine components. Maybe just a 50/50 solution of Distilled Vinager and water flush? I may need to replace the hoses but wanted advise on cleaning first from the V-Rod masters on this forum.

I also intend to open the water pump to clean out impeller cavity and inner pump. I have all the gaskets on order to put it back together but since it has been neglected so long want to do a really good cleaning/ flush. I sure would appreciate any suggestions and look forward to any advise.
View attachment 531141
I would avoid vinegar due to it being an acid and an neutralizer would be needed as well. Go with a specific product for aluminum systems like this. There are other as well.
http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/royal-flush-cooling-system-flush-2/
That's the nastiest looking coolant system I've seen. I'd do it twice before adding final antifreeze. As you are aware, being this bad there could be some internal damage as well in the form of corrosion as any of the inhibitors that were in the coolant have long since left the party.
Ron

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2003 Coolant System Refirb Update

Hey Ron thanks for the recommendation on the Royal Purple. I did end up using it and then flushed another 3 flushes with distilled water until the fluids were clear. I also replaced the coolant intake hose and removed and cleaned out the water pump cavity. Everything is much cleaner now but I think the water pump bearings seem a little stiff so I found a used pump on eBay (guaranteed return if not satisfied) that should arrive Friday for comparison. When I took mine to the dealership, they would not confirm or deny if it was good but offered to sell me one for $250.00 :hmm: The inside water pump cavity was pretty clean but seems to have some paint delamination or maybe it’s coolant film build up. Has anyone seen this before? See pics below. In the pic I am lifting the film with the screw driver. So far I just removed the film. Not sure if there is anything else I can do.

I also had to order a new overflow reservoir because the plastic nipple broke off the cap... Ugh. I’ve seen the post on temporary fixes but this is the second time this has happen since 2003 so I choose to order the improved version Coolant Bottle & Cap Kit 26731-01A.

I look forward to any comments and will update progress soon.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.