Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to all.

Let me start by apologizing for asking a question that may have been asked or debated in the past. I have read so many threads about so many topics but have not seen anything that I am specifically wanting to know.

I recently bought a 2007 Harley V-Rod in pristine condition with a very low mileage and it is stock standard. I am not wanting to race, nor drag-race the bike, all I want is to have the bike sound a little more aggressive. I have read and heard many conflicting things and theories regarding this, from Harley Davidson directly and other V-Rod owners alike. Can someone please guide me in the right direction.

Question/. If I change the two original pipes only to a non baffled type, will I need to map/tune the bike accordingly?

As mentioned, all I am looking for is a better sound. Harley Davidson says I will need a tuner, one or two guys I have spoken to have said the same but then the dealership I purchased my V-Rod from (sells Harley's as well as Indian's) says that I will not need to do so. Some forums say yes, yet others say no.

So, hopefully with the collective knowledge on here I will get to a point where I know what to do. Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome to the club Azula. Nice looking bike. Blue is my favourite colour.

To way in on your question, You could probably get away without a tune with what you propose, but I've heard plenty of bikes benefit from having a tune done on them even with all the original hardware still. Most bikes come tuned pretty lean from the factory to help pass emissions test. I doubt the V rod is any different.

I know the twin cam HD's and even Victory and Indian motorcycles benefit from having the tune adjusted to run a little richer. Some will say it's over kill, but personally would rather spend the extra $$ and know my ride is running at it's best.

Good luck with it. Hope you get many happy miles out of it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Azula,

Last month I bought an 06 SE2 with exactly the same pipes on it - and I'm also completely underwhelmed with the sound and looking to change pipes.

I have Vance & Hines 2-into-1 on another V-Rod and like them best, but they don't make them in "shiny chrome", so I'm still up in the air...

Anyways, changing the pipes is definitely in order and please DO post back here what you find and how you like'em (because I'm taking notes!).

And, yes, I would definitely go with a tune when replacing the pipes.

Kevin

PS - Nice ghost flames on that bad boy! :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
welcome!
There's a couple ways you can approach this--
If all you want is better sound on your stock pipes, you can drill 1/4" holes around the end of the exhaust outlet. This will open up the sound a bit without affecting the airflow from the muffler.
I personally went a step further on 2006 Night Rod by going with the V-MOD. This is where you completely remove the baffles on your stock mufflers. It more of a "roar" instead of a "rumble"--very loud this way! But since you will have more airflow, it will make a lean bike even leaner. So I went ahead and added a K&N air filter and Power Commander 3. The DynoJet website has premade maps for this setup, so I loaded it onto the Power Commander, and then it's just plug and play off the stock ECU. I love this setup, as it give better power and feel, and sounds spectacular.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Generally any intake or exhaust mods require some remapping. Stock cal isn't the best to start with and simple mods usually will show up in some form of ill running, be it extra heat or jerky mid range rpms or both.
Ron

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks kestrou, will keep you posted for sure. Yeah, that Ghost Flame is epic. Sure is an eye catcher custom paint job, and I named him Azula, which is the hottest (blue) part of a flame...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info, Bikerboy. Much appreciated. Have been looking into all you mention. Will see which route I take...

welcome!
There's a couple ways you can approach this--
If all you want is better sound on your stock pipes, you can drill 1/4" holes around the end of the exhaust outlet. This will open up the sound a bit without affecting the airflow from the muffler.
I personally went a step further on 2006 Night Rod by going with the V-MOD. This is where you completely remove the baffles on your stock mufflers. It more of a "roar" instead of a "rumble"--very loud this way! But since you will have more airflow, it will make a lean bike even leaner. So I went ahead and added a K&N air filter and Power Commander 3. The DynoJet website has premade maps for this setup, so I loaded it onto the Power Commander, and then it's just plug and play off the stock ECU. I love this setup, as it give better power and feel, and sounds spectacular.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.