Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 VRSCD
93 Posts
That is a cool bike... mine is the black with a good amount of chrome also (Night Rod D model).

It's big but a fine first bike as long as you are a fairly strong person and take it fairly slow on turns and such to start out. Glad you are enjoying riding! (y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My brother and buddy’s all have softail heritage and softail fat boys. So I had to get something different. My next upgrade is getting some ape hangers on there.

·
Registered
2008 VRSCD
93 Posts
Yeah, you want any bike that is roughly same speed/use as the group you'll mainly ride with... and VRods will keep up with any Harley :cool:

·
Registered
2008 VRSCD
93 Posts
Congrats on a great bike. Welcome.
I recommend a lot of practice at slow speeds to make sure you're comfortable maneuvering in parking lots and slow cornering. Anyone can go fast in a straight line.
For sure!

People always mistake "I did fine riding 80mph on the freeway" for having competence with anything slower than that: can't forget the difficulty of start/stop traffic clutch control and slow turning at a busy 4-way intersections or roundabouts just because that's "easy" low speed stuff. It is absolutely not.

Formation riding is also fairly tough and something I would stay away from for awhile... a lot of newbies screw that up. Doing fairly distanced riding on a trip with 1 or 2 other riders is fine and can actually help you to watch better riders lead, but probably pass on the tight formations with a whole bunch of bikes (rallys, riding groups, clubs, etc) until you have significant exp.

The slow speed stuff (or even parked) is usually where the big majority of screw-ups come. It might not be too detrimental to the rider's body or the bike still working fine after the slow roll or driveway drops/falls, and most people are embarrassed and will deny it or say "no big deal." Those get minimized, but they are much more common than the 100mph helmet shattering crashes on a ten lane freeway or a bike being T-boned by a semi. Engine bars will save you a ton of money there on the common types of dings. Without bars, those cracks and dents and deep scratches will sure hurt the wallet and the bike cosmetics (mirrors, signals, bars/controls, fenders, pegs, etc). Those engine bars definitely aren't a bad idea if you have a heavy bike like VRod for a first bike (or for anyone who just like the look of them or wants the mod for some protection... I think they're a fine look on Harleys).

That is also why that ATGATT stuff from the class is no joke... minimum of helmet and good gloves and decent shoes 100% of the time. My leathers (I use the jackets with armor and good boots since I have a few from street bike days... add kevlar or leather pants with armor knee pants for longer rides) are not fun to wear in hot summer, but they have saved me from broken arm or road rash a few times. I have also had other times where my boot tread or leather got deeply scuffed, but that means a tennis shoe in the same event might have gotten me into a crash or my foot under the rear wheel. The gear works; it is worth the money to get good stuff that's designed for motorcycles. Plenty of personal friends with similar speed wipeouts as me have ended in the hospital for ortho surgery or very bad road rash from wearing just t-shirts or hoodies or regular pants/gloves (luckily no bad head injuries since all wore helmets!). There's only two types of motorcycle owners: those who have dropped or crashed their bike... and those who will. I sure have done both drops and crashes. Don't make the mistake of thinking that you're better or luckier than other riders, random traffic, random gravel, random oil or ice, etc. /endsafetyrant 👷‍♂️

·
Registered
Black 2007 VRSCD
181 Posts
Welcome to 1130 CC
Congrats on great bike, great first bike / Harley. Yeah your friends are going to bad mouth your VROD all the time. Sound, shape, radiator, made in Germany (LOL)... Just wait until you master the tiny friction zone on the clutch then CRUSH THEM! LOL Then set them straight on the rest. I have had a few Harley's and my Night Rod is by far my favorite. Once you've put some miles in both fast and slow miles it will just get better to ride. I ride the wholly crap out mine if it's not in the shop or waiting on parts. LOL I get mine back again tomorrow this time it was in about three weeks :( waiting on cam shims. I did the 20,000 miles cam tune, rebuilt front shocks and needed a front & rear already around 13,000 miles on the tires. Can't get the rear until Dec 10th. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congrats on a great bike. Welcome.
I recommend a lot of practice at slow speeds to make sure you're comfortable maneuvering in parking lots and slow cornering. Anyone can go fast in a straight line.
Yeah I’m definitely practicing a lot. Im about to take my riding course also at Harley Davidson. I’m definitely looking forward to ALL the riding I’m going to be doing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts