Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone
Been riding since I was 19 all harley davidson
I am turning 62 in a few months and just got a 2003 anniversary model to add to my stable of Harley’s. Back when the VROD came out I test drove one but I already had another harley I had purchased so I was unable to purchase the bike, finally after all these years I got one. I have not had any motorcycles since 2007 when I went oversea and spent 8 years out of country.
Now I have a handsome new son who I plan to leave my motorcycles to.
I am hoping to learn about this model from you guys here in the forum. Parts are hard to find!
Thank you
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Sky Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great looking bike- nice find- and welcome. There’s a ton of info here, be sure to use the search function if you haven’t already
Thank you
Been reading all I have been reading alot and it has helped.
Specially about the fuel level not working, mine don’t work either. I am trying to find out what the milage for the tank is so I can estimate the distance I have on a tank of gas, 3 plus gallons is short distance, cannot find the part that sends the level to the gauges anywhere
Thanks for the welcome it is appreciated

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yeh the fuel gauge is notoriously inaccurate…. Plenty of threads here about that with some possible fixes as well. Again, do a search if you haven’t already. One FYI- if you want to respond to a post, check the date first so you’re not responding to one that’s 10 years old.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeh the fuel gauge is notoriously inaccurate…. Plenty of threads here about that with some possible fixes as well. Again, do a search if you haven’t already. One FYI- if you want to respond to a post, check the date first so you’re not responding to one that’s 10 years old.
Will do thanks for the advise

·
EXCELSIOR
8,575 Posts
While the model was updated through the model years these are good bikes.
Use your trip meter and watch your gas mileage through the first several tanks to establish a good base line for you and your style of riding. I don't know your area or roads that you ride on but if you baby it you can see 50 mpg if you keep speed at 50 mph max, mostly rural and mountain riding. Get on the hwy and turn the wick and speed up to 80 and you'll drop to 30 mpg.
With the stock 3.7 gallon tank you should be safe to 120 miles moderate all around driving then start looking to fill up, monitor it through several tanks till you get a handle on it.

The fuel module, and with it the fuel gauge unit, which is part of the module, is obsoleted. There is a good link here written by a past, departed, member, Steppenwolf, of a possible fix for the unit if it's not totally trashed. Some have professed to see improvement in function using using Techron or Seafoam additives. The fix requires removal of the fuel unit from the tank which requires a special tool to remove the top ring nut, and with the age of your bike you will also need a new o-ring for the top as ethanol fuel will have caused it to swell and increase in length enough that you'll never get it back in place once removed. I know from personal experience as I've had my unit out 3 times for various maintenance issues over the past 75+k miles.

There are after market 5 gallon tanks from a couple sources at around $500. While I have done it if you have no intention to cruise long distance I wouldn't bother.

I would look under the airbox cover and right side louvered cover to see if you have the upgraded coolant overflow bottle. The early bottle had a hard white plastic top with the return hose nipple molded on. It is brittle and prone to breakage and at this point in time I doubt you'll find a replacement. The updated bottle has a black rubber cap and the return hose has been moved to the bottle itself. Should you have the older bottle don't despair, if the nipple breaks you can cut it off, drill a hole in the cap and with hardware store brass fittings and epoxy make a serviceable repair.

Ride it, enjoy it, maintain it and it should give you miles and years of delight. Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While the model was updated through the model years these are good bikes.
Use your trip meter and watch your gas mileage through the first several tanks to establish a good base line for you and your style of riding. I don't know your area or roads that you ride on but if you baby it you can see 50 mpg if you keep speed at 50 mph max, mostly rural and mountain riding. Get on the hwy and turn the wick and speed up to 80 and you'll drop to 30 mpg.
With the stock 3.7 gallon tank you should be safe to 120 miles moderate all around driving then start looking to fill up, monitor it through several tanks till you get a handle on it.

The fuel module, and with it the fuel gauge unit, which is part of the module, is obsoleted. There is a good link here written by a past, departed, member, Steppenwolf, of a possible fix for the unit if it's not totally trashed. Some have professed to see improvement in function using using Techron or Seafoam additives. The fix requires removal of the fuel unit from the tank which requires a special tool to remove the top ring nut, and with the age of your bike you will also need a new o-ring for the top as ethanol fuel will have caused it to swell and increase in length enough that you'll never get it back in place once removed. I know from personal experience as I've had my unit out 3 times for various maintenance issues over the past 75+k miles.

There are after market 5 gallon tanks from a couple sources at around $500. While I have done it if you have no intention to cruise long distance I wouldn't bother.

I would look under the airbox cover and right side louvered cover to see if you have the upgraded coolant overflow bottle. The early bottle had a hard white plastic top with the return hose nipple molded on. It is brittle and prone to breakage and at this point in time I doubt you'll find a replacement. The updated bottle has a black rubber cap and the return hose has been moved to the bottle itself. Should you have the older bottle don't despair, if the nipple breaks you can cut it off, drill a hole in the cap and with hardware store brass fittings and epoxy make a serviceable repair.

Ride it, enjoy it, maintain it and it should give you miles and years of delight. Welcome to the club!
Thank you for the great advise, this bike has only 21,587 miles on it. I will check all of the above
Thanks again
All you forum guys thank you

1 - 16 of 16 Posts