Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

Just wanted to drop a note to the forum. I'm 32, been riding dirt bikes my whole life, and working on my wife about getting a street bike for the last 3 years. I live in Northern California, about 40 miles east of Sacramento. Yesterday my wife showed up with an enclosed dirt bike trailer. Which was great, I'd been wanting one. But inside, was a brand new 04 V-Rod in the Lava Red Sunglo color. I put a little over 300 miles on her today. Had a lot of fun. Cornering was a little bit of a challenge. I knew I had to be careful with the pipes on the right side, but on some left handers I kept dragging the outside of my boot and the tip of the peg. I'm still used to a lot more clearance from my dirt bikes. Power is great, but I've been good and kept it under 5500 RPMs like the manual suggests (okay, so I did run it up once or twice, but was only there for about 2 seconds). I think the only thing I wil be doing is getting different pipes, I'd like a little more sound. Not excessive, but just a little bit more. And, I've heard I can get an airbox mod, and go with a FI remap to get a few more ponies.

Anyway, it's my first street bike, and I do love it so far. It's been a lot of fun to ride. To be honest, I never thought I'd ever be on a Harley. Not just because of the price, but because I'm a horsepower junkie, and not to piss anyone off here, but most Harleys haven't really been known for putting out high horsepower numbers. But man, fit and finish on this thing is incredible in my opinion. The bikes so pretty, I just want to wheel it into my living room. Oh, one thing I did find out today, keep my head down when I go to refuel. At the first two stops I had people swarming all over me, asking about the bike. One guy even had his wife take a picture of him next to it. I'm gonna get past the 500 mile break in period tomorrow. I have a nice 300 mile ride planned. Then I think I better stop calling in sick or I'll lose my job!

Sorry for the long winded post. I've been walking around in the clouds ever since I rolled this beauty off the trailer. If I hadn't had so many beers tonight, I'd go take it for another spin. I don't think my dirtbikes will get much use for a while, that's for sure.

Thanks for listening to my rant, and I look forward to spending many hours in here meeting some of you. Maybe I'll even get the chance to ride with some of you.

·
G'Day mate
175 Posts
Hi RedR,

Welcome to the forum, you will find it a great source of info on the Rod and full of some pretty knowledgable people.

One warning though, it will cost you!! There are that many good mods and good lookin parts for your bike, your wallet won't know what hit it.

All the best with your new bike.

Smasha

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Does Your Wife Have a Sister? :notworth: Thats the Coolest Wife I've ever Know! :heart: :welcome: :kaz:

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
your.wife.rocks!

I'm down in Oakland and there's a few others of us down this way, maybe we can go hit The Warehouse or Pier 23 one day.

ride safe and keep your feet on the pegs ;)

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
RedR welcome to the forum and congrats on the wife and the V-Rod, they both sound sweet.

Max

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Looks like I'll be spending a lot of money soon. Man, I went down to the shop today, and just wandered around. It was like a candy store.

DrHeathen, sounds like a fun ride. I've been running around on backroads so far. Trying to stay away from the traffic. I'm a total newbie on the street, so the traffice makes me nervous. Give me a month or so, and I hopefully will get over the "ant on a freeway" feeling.

Super Kaz, she has a sister. But she's nowhere near as cool as my wife. You can have her though. I put her up for auction on ebay, along with my mother-in-law. Try the "Buy it now" button.

My wife does ride. But only dirt bikes. I've been working on her though. I'd like her to get something. She has her eye on a little Sportser. She might have a surprise waiting for her in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Val said:
RedR - has your wife tried riding your v-rod?
She hasn't tried it yet. I'm not sure if she will or not. I told her to try it out, I think she'd love it. I'd like to get her to give me a yes or no on whether she wants to ride on the street or not. I want her to take the MSF course before she gets out on the roads.

Just came back from a nice ride today. Made it about 150 miles. All twisties. What a ride. Once you know the limits of the lean angle, this bike is great. And I love the way it pulls out of the turns. I broke the 500 mile mark today, which worked out great because I got stuck behind a motorhome.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Red, welcome to home away from home. Sounds like you got bit by the same bug we did. As for your wife... you sound like a lucky man! :)

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
RedR - nice present to get from the wife mate! When I suggested to mine that I was thinking about getting a motorbike again (all steeled for the "are-you-kidding-you-have-2-small-kids-and-aren't 20 something-anymore-you-irresponsible-soandso" discussion) she said - "only if it's a Harley". Caught me wrongfooted, but I managed to say "Fine then!" :thumb:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Greg687-Bug is a mild term for it. I think there should be an acronym more like WMD. After riding in the dirt for years, a friend of mine threw me the keys to his ninja about 3 years ago, and I've had it bad ever since. I've been like a 13 year old boy who just discovered girls.

Karl, I know what you mean. I have three kids under 8. I admitted to my wife that riding a street bike is dangerous, and not really the thing a father of 3 young kids should be doing, but when you get the bug, there's nothing you can do about it.

Well, I gotta go. Bought a bag full of chrome goodies today. Gonna go put 'em on, and make her shine a little more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts