Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new to the board here. I've been lurking for a little while now. I'm in the market for a 2002 VROD and will be taking a look at one tonight. Any suggestions on things to look for? It is a low mileage bike. Anything to look at which may confirm a low mileage motor? This particular bike has less than 2K miles on it. I appreciate any information you could provide.

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
577 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The overall condition of the bike is more important than the mileage. There seems to be a lot of vrods that have low mileage for their age. I would try to verify that it has been properly maintained.

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts
:vrodforu:

Scroll through the digital screens on the instrument cluster and see if it has a clock. The entire instrument cluster had been replaced on my 2003 when I bought it and the replace instruments had a clock feature which I don't think the 2002's and 2003's had. The owner was very honest about it but had he not been the bike was only showing 109 miles on it and it was in such good shape I would never have known it really had approximately 3100 miles on it.

Also the common things. Original tires with almost all tread. Receipts for service at appropriate intervals. etc...

Good Luck

·
GA. BOY
2,462 Posts
welcome to the forum, ang good luck on a new vrod!

·
Jeff
1,306 Posts
I would look for the clock and tread depth like another person said. If you don't know what you're doing with that get a quarter and put it in one of the grooves and make sure it goes to Washington's head.

Jeff

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I could see this is a great board and I'm really happy to be a part of it. Thanks.

Lets just say the guy is trying to get about $10K and I'm pretty much going to hold the line at $10K as I know there are many out there for this price. I absolutely agree that condition is more important than miles. I don't plan to ride it all that much honestly (or shall I say enjoy it to its fullest!!!) I think a lot of people thought the 02's may be worth a lot so they didn't ride them much or something. I was looking at 02 or perhaps 03 for the 100th anniversary but not for financial reasons as we know this probably won't doing anything for the price. For some reason I really like the idea of owning the first year. Call me strange I guess.

Can someone explain the clock feature? Is this for telling the time or actually amount of riding time? (like number of hours the engine has been running) Good point about tires. What brand was the originals or did it vary?

·
Registered
922 Posts

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
:vrodforu:

If you get the bike you should nake the trip down to Wildwood for Roar to the Shore in Sept. A bunch of us will be down there.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got back guys. Well, she was nice. They are always nice though right? But when I really got in to the details, I think I could find something better. I heard a lot of inconsistencies from what I heard on the phone from him the first time. Had 1000 more miles than indicated (which really no big deal but.....) The wheels and tins were a bit dirty and some rust in the crevices. I think it was definately in the rain a lot. Just overall not a very clean bike. Seemed to run nice and you guys may laugh at me but I like the nice quiet sound of the stock exhaust! I know I know. So back to the drawing board. I'll be on the lookout for another one. I'll probably take a look at the dealers this weekend.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Welcome there VROD owner!!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
HD dealer in Danville, Il. had an Anodized '02 on the showroom floor with 411 miles on it. Was told the guy traded in 2 with low mileage in on a new bagger. The bike was A-1. $10k out the door.I was in the store on Aug. 4.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
sudolg said:
Just got back guys. Well, she was nice. They are always nice though right? But when I really got in to the details, I think I could find something better. I heard a lot of inconsistencies from what I heard on the phone from him the first time. Had 1000 more miles than indicated (which really no big deal but.....) The wheels and tins were a bit dirty and some rust in the crevices. I think it was definately in the rain a lot. Just overall not a very clean bike. Seemed to run nice and you guys may laugh at me but I like the nice quiet sound of the stock exhaust! I know I know. So back to the drawing board. I'll be on the lookout for another one. I'll probably take a look at the dealers this weekend.

It doesn't need to be in the rain to have rust in areas. Especially the bolts. HD uses the lowest quality hardware you can find and it all rusts to hell. Also, the solid aluminum wheels on the 02 are very hard to keep looking good, so unless the owner is very meticulous with cleaning them they will look a little tarnished after 6 years.

·
Rallycaust Survivor
11,141 Posts
:welcome: and good luck. You're going to love it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Vrod-Mike said:
It doesn't need to be in the rain to have rust in areas. Especially the bolts. HD uses the lowest quality hardware you can find and it all rusts to hell. Also, the solid aluminum wheels on the 02 are very hard to keep looking good, so unless the owner is very meticulous with cleaning them they will look a little tarnished after 6 years.
I am not at all surprised Mike. But there was even a little up on the frame and other spots. Wasn't just bolts. Just wasn't taken care of the way I would take care of it in my opinion. I may have tried to make a deal if I trusted the guy a little more. Just didn't feel right. Thanks for the info!

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
sudolg said:
I am not at all surprised Mike. But there was even a little up on the frame and other spots. Wasn't just bolts. Just wasn't taken care of the way I would take care of it in my opinion. I may have tried to make a deal if I trusted the guy a little more. Just didn't feel right. Thanks for the info!

You need to find the bike that's right for you. Take your time there are plenty out there.

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts
The clock I mentioned is just a clock for telling the time. You will either see it or not in the digital screen by pushing the rubber coated black switch on the underside of the instrument cluster. If you see a digital clock on a 2002 model - the instruments have been changed and all bets are off as to the true mileage.
I think all the corrosion on the V-Rod results from more than just cheap fasteners. The MoCo apparently didn't fully consider the effects of galvanic corrosion when bolting all the dissimilar metals together. The only explanation I can come up with for all the corrosion I'm seeing on my 03, which is rarely ridden in the rain, is that the aluminum and steel are not properly insulated from one another and the resulting cell is corroding the steel at an accelerated rate. Cadmium plated (or zinc-nickel, or tin-zinc) fasteners would have helped the situation.
The solid aluminum wheels are another story. They are not finished at all! – just bare aluminum. The owner’s manual recommends WEEKLY maintenance. Basically you just need to keep them polished with something like carnauba wax. I can’t figure out at all why these weren’t anodized.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
ajam318 said:
HD dealer in Danville, Il. had an Anodized '02 on the showroom floor with 411 miles on it. Was told the guy traded in 2 with low mileage in on a new bagger. The bike was A-1. $10k out the door.I was in the store on Aug. 4.
I would say thats worth a look at sudlog! Honestly I bought my 02 last Jan 06 with 952 miles had Samson pipes and a lot of chrome items for $10,500 from a dealer in TN. Took 10 hrs one way to go get her but I have never looked back since. Nothing wrong with my 02 what so ever, they even did the 1000 mile service for FREE! HAHA

1 - 20 of 25 Posts