Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FML...2014 Night Rod Special, 1000 miles on it. Bring it home, ride it for 30 miles, park, and oil everywhere. Rear breather tube appears fine, previous owner ran it topless with stock filter, V&H 2 into 1 comp and no Fuel Pack to boot. I'm loosing my mind. Ideas anyone?

·
"Vrod King"
932 Posts
Good find. Check the front breather tube under the air cleaner. Add a Fuel Pack.

:vrodforu:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You. I'm just waiting for new hoses and gasket from bottom of airbox to throttle body to arrive before I start taking it apart. It only appears to be a leak after a ride. Just unsure how to spot exact place where it's leaking from. Inside airbox is clean, so it's coming from top of the engine somewhere.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Thank You. I'm just waiting for new hoses and gasket from bottom of airbox to throttle body to arrive before I start taking it apart. It only appears to be a leak after a ride. Just unsure how to spot exact place where it's leaking from. Inside airbox is clean, so it's coming from top of the engine somewhere.
Front head breather can barf a lot of oil if the hose fit on the bullet is lacking. Rear has a restrictor and spews a lot less. There is also an o ring on the bullet that goes into the head that could be damaged or missing. Correct installation of this bullet is fully into the head first, then slip the lower breather hose nipple and box down over the end of it. Just a dab of lube to make the slip over easier both on the bullet oring and the area that slips into the breather hose.
Ron

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, new Millennium and we still can't make an engine that don't leak. Unbelievable. Here I thought I get a bike with super low miles and no headaches. BAM first ride and leaving piss puddles like a puppy. Do Japanese bikes have these issues?

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Wow, new Millennium and we still can't make an engine that don't leak. Unbelievable. Here I thought I get a bike with super low miles and no headaches. BAM first ride and leaving piss puddles like a puppy. Do Japanese bikes have these issues?
These engines are very oil tight. I've not leaked a drop in 5 years. Just find the issue with the front breather and it will be fine.
Ron

·
Tie One On
1,647 Posts
prior owner not doing proper maintenance inspections

·
Asatruar
2,965 Posts
Next , keep an eye on the stator plug grommet that exits the cover. That's another notorious "leak".

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
As mentioned the stator plug in the cover will eventually shrink with time. You have a long way to go and it's generally a seeper only when it happens. A simple fix also. I went pro active on my 2013 and siliconed the front lip between the cover and rubber. A search will show other methods like an extra oring over the existing grommet will work too.
Ron

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, I'm so glad I have this kind of support, feels like I'm learning in leaps and bounds. Checked out Fuelpak, according to other topics and forums, they still don't have mapping all figured out, but Power Commander seems to be among the highly recommended ones. Once I find my leak, then I'll install actual high flow filter and PC, and call it good. I don't want to mess with it much. I'm not a demon on wheels anymore. Getting old. Now I'm just focused on just a good running, no problem machine.

·
"Vrod King"
932 Posts
I don't want to mess with it much. I'm not a demon on wheels anymore. Getting old. Now I'm just focused on just a good running, no problem machine.
:laugh::laugh: I've heard that before. You know they are just never ending projects. "Need this," "need that," "this would be nice to add." And then things like what you see below happens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Another thing I have read is, for some reason, if you run Syn3 it seems to be worse. Just some food for thought on this whole thing. I'll be switching to Amsoil or Mobil 1 for my next oil change. My front breather tube is leaking also. New parts coming. Oil level 7/8 of the way to full. That probably doesn't help either.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Another thing I have read is, for some reason, if you run Sy3n it seems to be worse. Just some food for thought on this whole thing. I'll be switching to Amsoil or Mobil 1 for my next oil change. My front breather tube is leaking also. New parts coming. Oil level 7/8 of the way to full. That probably doesn't help either.
That oil fails miserably in the big twin gear boxes. What I mean is trans failures have occurred with it's use. No way in hell I'd use it in a vrod with a shared engine/trans.
Ron

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.