Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Boss Noss'n Muscle
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
Do an update to your map database on your Thundermax effective today. There are 2 new maps. I'm going to load #550 as we speak.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
976 Posts
I`m new to this.I checked the TMAX web site and couldn`t find the new map.

Can someone post a link .

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
They are both for the VH indy pipe. I know every single time I've asked James he always says to stick with the "stock" map even if I have an open single pipe.

Attachments

·
brett
9,338 Posts
thats funny rick ,cos when i asked him a question about for my bub 2-1 he has told me to use the dd fatcats one and when i queried him ,he said yes he was sure ,shite wish there was some uniformality in answers about this thing,i might send an email and ask if he is doing a indy pipe map for stock tbs on 1130

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Just put the new map #550 on my bike. I was running the 549, i think is what it was. This new map so far is way better than the old one. It pulls all the way past 8 grand then it has a little stutter, unlike the other that had it around 4 grand. I do have a indy pipe, which may help since the new map is for that pipe. Although I also have the stage 2 cams, and 58 mm tb's. If this map improves even a little bit it is going to be great. My bike has pull all the time now no lag at all.
It even was able to run the IAC calibration when I first installed the map it went through without stalling once.
Just a quick fyi.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I finally did the firmware update from months ago, but chose not to change my map. My current map has about 10k miles on it and no problems, so no sense in changing.
I did use the "auto optimizer". Only put 100 miles on since then, but problem free. Have not gone through a full tank of fuel yet to see how my MPGs were affected.

·
some call me NED
272 Posts
I was running the 1250 map for a month,didn't like it when city riding.Put the 1250 Indy map in today and bike felt great from the start.I have supertrapps with 6 disc's and basically no end cap (using the grated end cap instead of a solid end cap),also have the USA 3rd volume so no Cat.

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
So you guys have been putting the 550 map in with good results? I've been using the old stock one and it's really been running like crap, Lane fixed the idle issues but the surging is getting worse for some reason and it's bugging the crap out of me. I've actually been considering going back to my SEPST and selling the Tmax.

I think I'm going to give the 550 a shot and see how that runs.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
even though my 1250 with stage two cams and powerline was running great on a modified 549 map by james ,i decided to try the new 550 map..it now runs even better than ever.i recon this tmax is just marvelous .

·
RIP Jerry
956 Posts
I finally did the firmware update from months ago, but chose not to change my map. My current map has about 10k miles on it and no problems, so no sense in changing.
I did use the "auto optimizer". Only put 100 miles on since then, but problem free. Have not gone through a full tank of fuel yet to see how my MPGs were affected.
There was a firmware update? missed that one. My bike has run great from the start don't think i will update firmware unless I'm missing out on something...

·
DXA+ Member
262 Posts
There was a firmware update? missed that one. My bike has run great from the start don't think i will update firmware unless I'm missing out on something...

No firmware update that I am aware of. I think he meant the software update ( SMLIV Version 2009.0.5)

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
^ Let us know how the 550 works out.
Well loaded the 550 map, did the calibration and the IAC. Bike runs flawless, no hesitation, no pops, idles flawlessly, kind of what I expected, very nice map.

After about a 50 mile run with several engine off/on cycles now the idle is starting to be wonky again, wtf zippers? Map still runs strong but I KNOW in my heart that the surging will slowly creep back up.

At this point, especially with the crappy blowoff James gave me, if the map does deteriorate I think I'm going to load it fresh again and just turn off the autotune as the absolute best maps I've ran is when they are fresh and I have yet to have a map "improve" with the autotune. Shame, wish they sold just a unit with a map because it seems I don't need the autotune feature.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I just loaded in my 550 map today, while pulling the old one and sending it in for tweaking. Did 15 miles on the bike but it runs good so far. I have my fingers crossed...

What do you guys think is better, Thunder Max with auto tune or PCV with auto tune?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Well loaded the 550 map, did the calibration and the IAC. Bike runs flawless, no hesitation, no pops, idles flawlessly, kind of what I expected, very nice map.

After about a 50 mile run with several engine off/on cycles now the idle is starting to be wonky again, wtf zippers? Map still runs strong but I KNOW in my heart that the surging will slowly creep back up.

At this point, especially with the crappy blowoff James gave me, if the map does deteriorate I think I'm going to load it fresh again and just turn off the autotune as the absolute best maps I've ran is when they are fresh and I have yet to have a map "improve" with the autotune. Shame, wish they sold just a unit with a map because it seems I don't need the autotune feature.
my sugestion about your idle problem is to NOT do the iac calibration when loading a map. just load the map,start the bike and let it warm up on idle then ride.do a few hundred miles then do a auto cal and keep rideing.that is what ive done and its great.

·
some call me NED
272 Posts
my sugestion about your idle problem is to NOT do the iac calibration when loading a map. just load the map,start the bike and let it warm up on idle then ride.do a few hundred miles then do a auto cal and keep rideing.that is what ive done and its great.
Same here,I don't do the IAC when a new map is installed,just let it warm up till fans come on and off,then ride.

·
Land Pilot
148 Posts
well, Sunday morning i loaded up #550 into the Tmax, cranked it up and let it warm up WITHOUT doing the IAC calibrate. Then took it on a 250 mile run around the great state of Mississippi. I gotta say, the bike is running better than it ever has. No idle issues and a strong pull all the way to the redline. We even did a 40 mile stretch at 85+ to beat an approaching storm, and there were no issues from that.

I'm holding my breath to see if the autotune undoes this smooth running beast...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts