Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Smokebomb King
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I've never had to replace a motorcycle tire, so im not too sure what to look for as far as wear goes. I have about 5000 miles on the stock tire and it seems to be ok, but what things should i look for? I know the tread depth is one thing, but is there anything else? Thanks!

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Look for the year the tire was made. Someone please back me up - I am not sure about motocycle tires...but car tires have a little oval with 4 number in it. The first 2 are the week of the year and the second two are the year produced. So 5206 would be the 52nd week of 2006 or Dec 2006 0105 would be the 1st week of 2005...Never use a car tire over 6 years old regardless of tread...not sure about bike tires.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Probably check after 5 smoke bombs

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
If the tires is stained heavily with firework smoke that is OK. You don;t have to replace it...

Measure the tread at the center and it must have (I think) 4 mm depth, maybe 2.

If you do a lot of straight riding and don't corner much you will see the tire worn in the center and new on teh edges. You have to really lay it into some corners to use that rubber out there.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
louballs said:
Yeah it was funny, i was just joking with the jackass comment anyway. But some real info might be helpful as well.
I can't quote tread depth #s... tend to eyball it myself. As long as you have tread and no cracks, bulges, or dry rot on the sidewalls, you should be OK. But at 5k, there is probably not a whole lot more life left in the rear tire - you might make it a few more K if you've been easy on it.

·
Sua Sponte
1,560 Posts
I'm puttin a new rear on next wednesday. I have 13,400 + on it and its clearly at the end of its life. Measuring treadwear is covered in the owners manual. When the treads have a small flat spot from the end tip of the tread to about the middle of it, its nearing the end.

Hope that helps.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Stock tires have "wear indicators." I've never seen them, even when I saw the cords, i never saw them. I changed my first set at 13,600. That was a bit too long. FWIW.

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
My Dunlops were so bald by 8,000 plus the horrible way they wore.
Change them anyway to Metzlers and you will enjoy the ride so much more. I never felt I could trust the Dunlops in a corner, they always felt like they were ready to let loose or something.

·
Smokebomb King
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JSC said:
I never felt I could trust the Dunlops in a corner, they always felt like they were ready to let loose or something.
Yeah i feel the same way. Just don't have a bunch of cash right now being that I have the 5k service coming up which is about $250.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts