Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I've just had a Thundermax installed on my 2015 NRS. During the slow ride home from the garage (in torrential rain) the bike ran fine. At the start of the first ride out, the bike cut out when shifting to second, but the rest of the day it was fine. I am noticing that the fan is on a lot more than it was previously though. Also, the bike will occasionally cut out. Once when I held the clutch in and rolled the throttle on (a rev bomb) and once as I pulled up to a set of lights. Has anyone encountered similar problems? Has it just been configured wrong on the base map? Is the Thundermax just learning my bike still?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hi all! I've just had a Thundermax installed on my 2015 NRS. During the slow ride home from the garage (in torrential rain) the bike ran fine. At the start of the first ride out, the bike cut out when shifting to second, but the rest of the day it was fine. I am noticing that the fan is on a lot more than it was previously though. Also, the bike will occasionally cut out. Once when I held the clutch in and rolled the throttle on (a rev bomb) and once as I pulled up to a set of lights. Has anyone encountered similar problems? Has it just been configured wrong on the base map? Is the Thundermax just learning my bike still?
Easy fix. Take the Thundermax off your bike, put on shelf.

Unless you have some extremely radical modifications to your engine (talking 15+ psi of boost) then you have zero need for that aftermarket toy.

The Delphi ECU that came with your bike is infinitely more robust and backed by millions of R&D money. I'd venture less than 50g total was invested in the Thundermax (or less depending on who is really behind it).

Not joking...you have stepped down many levels in reliability and function (say bye to any sort of knock detection now!).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get that bud. But it's a bit like asking how to scratch your leg through a plaster cast, for someone to tell you not to break your leg in the first place 😂.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I get that bud. But it's a bit like asking how to scratch your leg through a plaster cast, for someone to tell you not to break your leg in the first place 😂.
It's like this, you can spend countless hours (and money) trying to make that aftermarket system "work" (and I use quotes for a reason, even IF you get it to work you still are riding around without knock detection/logging which is crazy) OR you can get a Powervision to tune your much more reliable (and capable) Delphi OEM ECM and be money ahead + much more functional/reliable.

Otherwise....I say give Zippers/Thundermax a call. Let us know how their excuses go.

Then again, I'm just a guy on the Internet that you don't know. Do what you want, trying to save you a ton of headache.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts