Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
'02 Anodized Club
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on the following: those of you who saw the odd-looking chrome additional fuel tank on the German web site also probably thought it was pretty ugly.

Try this -- If the rear fender were, say, three (four?) inches taller you should be able to fit a tank between and above the rear fender supports. If you keep the same clearance from the wheel, but create a taller tapered fender with a aux tank in it, you should be able to get (guessing here) 6w x 10 long x 3 high volume, or 180 ci of fuel and keep a smooth profile on the bike. Could look nice and get the range up another 30-40 miles.

Problems: (1) possible wear caused by the tire if the shocks bottom out would require a reinforced steel base on the tank; (2) probably would have to eliminate the passenger seat unless you want the seat to be several inches higher; (3) would need a second filler, but could be used as a reserve with a valve. But this would give a true aux tank, even if only 2-3 quarts. Each additional inch in height gives another 60 ci, so five inches is a gallon over the stock setup. Can't recall what 2-4 quarts of gas weigh, but it can't be all that much, so won't shift the CG much.

Figure the tank would be heavy plastic with a curved skid plate on the bottom.

If this works, how much would you pay for it (and note the ugly 5 liter tank from the German site was $1400 or so).

Any comments from those out there with rebuilding experience? Or is the engineer in me gettting the better of things? :confused:

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I'm thinking a tank that replaces the air cover would be better. If it was taller, especially in the rear, it could hold a couple of gallons.

·
'02 Anodized Club
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New airbox gas tank

Danii -- I was thinking of that, too. Would be considerably larger than the current one if you wanted to keep that monster air filter in there, but it could be done if the looks are something you could live with..

Would be easier to install than the rear fender design, too -- but very visible as a larger "tank" shape. Possibly twice the height, with the lower part a slightly smaller airbox cover and the upper part the spare tank (I'm assuming from other discussions about the importance of airflow on this bike that you'd have to keep most of the airbox). Again, I'm assuming its as a auxiliary tank with petcock, that you'd refill your main tank with only if needed. The new larger painted cover for the unit would still come off with the same rotating clip arrangement they have now. The top of the new tank would have a filler, to be hidden unter the aluminum skin.

If you use the same air filter, and the total assembly was, say, 4 inches taller than the current one with a more rounded shape, you could replace the stock airbox top with a gas tank that would mate to the current airbox bottom and use the current clips to hold it on, with a new aluminum or other cover over the unit that could be painted.

But, what would you pay for something like that, for say, an additional gallon of gas in it?

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I'd certainly pay $300 for a clean top tank, assuming it could fit with no permanent modifications, or at least be fully removable, so we could ride with the cruisers from pit stop to pit stop. 1.5 gallons is what is really necessary. I'm thinking it could occupy some of the space to the rear of the air filter, but any in front of it. And topless of course. Be nice if it could look the same as the other aluminum parts.
I'd have to give up my tank bag, I guess......

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
We have all seen that pic, but no one knows where to get one!

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
I saw a black one thet looked heaps better than this? Anyone else seen it? I thought it was in the same group of photos as this one, from Germany or something

·
'02 Anodized Club
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The german beer keg?

V-fred: http://www.custom-ranch.de Load, click "shop", click "produckte", click zuzatztank.

Shawn: What is a "fuel cell filter cover" and where did you get it? Looking at it, it looks like it could set on top of the current airbox with fuel in the side bulges.

Agree with Danii that it would be worth the $$ if it were removeable.

Thanks--

·
1,738 Posts
banlenot: thanks, thats the beer keg, but I wondered if anyone has discovered the fugly airbox tank? Think that the pics were in Spain.

Fred

·
'02 Anodized Club
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oops, sorry -- thought you were were asking about the german item. Glad you weren't -- ugliest thing I've seen in years....

·
Registered
302 Posts
There is a company (MEK I think the name is) in either England or Germany that makes a tank lid gas tank for the Vmax. Maybe they could be persuaded to making one for the V-rod too. I think it holds over a gal. Bill

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
It would be nice to see a talented member produce something like in the picture i posted...i would be interesting in getting one, if it were available.
i have never found the maker of the item but i have seen other pictures of the same design on different bikes, but noone knows where to get it.

·
'02 Anodized Club
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I cross posted a message in v-twin forum to see if anyone knows the red bike or location, or something similar.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
I bet American Custom Paint could come up with something that would work, being their fiberglass tank they make already would just need an upper/side portion molded in addition as fuel cell. Since fiberglass tanks are used in gas stations, I dont think they leak or break-down with fuel in them. The detachable part would be the hard part as the fuel line would need some type of shut-off valve so fuel would not leak from tank when cover was removed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Here is the link to the MEK site for the Additional Tank Roadmaster V-MAX. You will note that it adds about 50-70 miles more cruising range. I would agree that it would be nice for someone to design a air-cover that would hold at least an extra gas for cruising.

Michel

http://shop.mek.biz/product_reviews_info.php/products_id/75/reviews_id/26

ba49 said:
There is a company (MEK I think the name is) in either England or Germany that makes a tank lid gas tank for the Vmax. Maybe they could be persuaded to making one for the V-rod too. I think it holds over a gal. Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Who can do it?

I came across a photo of the Samson V-rod at www.goodevestudio.com/samson_bike.htm and it appears that someone has stretched the air box sideways over the frame and back towards the driver. The box has a centered flush filler cap so I would assume there is some kind of fuel cell there. I spoke to a local machinist about inserting a fuel cell on either side of the airbox once it was stretched joined at the front side for the filler cap, and coming back together at the rear of the box so that it actually drained into the existing tank gravity fed. I was looking for 1.1 gallons each side of the airbox and relocation of the drain tube so it would utilize existing fuel pump, gauges, etc. Once done the airbox underneath had that saddlebag look found on older Kawasakis. I am not that knowledgeable of the technical details and left that to the machinist. The airbox was aluminum and kept the v-rod look. Well after all was said and done it could be done but it was way to pricey for me ($2250), so I've just been waiting for someone else to come up with the same idea and start marketing these things. Gots to have more fuel!

·
Registered
57 Posts
If anyone's interested I could go and visit him with my bike to get a price for a custom tank to replace the stock air cover - but still keeping the original shape. Being made from aluminium it could also be anodised to match the original if required. Are there any other points about the tank that I should ask for?

GT - UK

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
GT - UK said:
If anyone's interested I could go and visit him with my bike to get a price for a custom tank to replace the stock air cover - but still keeping the original shape. Being made from aluminum it could also be anodized to match the original if required. Are there any other points about the tank that I should ask for?

GT - UK
a ram air induction would be great to feed the stock"Topless" air box . :thumb:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts