Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
5,281 Posts

R guys will slash their wrists over this one!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I kinda like the streetfighter but I think the performance is going to be paramount to break into that market, especially when some of your competition is the MT-09/MT-10 from a engine size and bike type standpoint.

I'm assuming the 1250 in the custom is the Revo engine? That bike is ugly as hell. It's like a cafe rear end on a softtail fat bob with a scrambler exhaust and awkwardly placed/sized radiator.

The Pan America looks like a bike got squished by a Wile E. Coyote anvil. It's so square, what the heck.

·
Banned
5,281 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Streetfighter - the harder edged, one up, less comfortable, no bags R Model

So Tassie as an R guy I'm not quite ready to slash my wrists yet over the Streetfighter - I like the looks as it's capable looking & OK when considered in the Diavel S/F category but I bought an R Model because its 2 up capable, fairly comfortable and comparatively visually attractive at the small trade off expense of not being a hard edge crotch rocket and not being the fastest or quickest steering. Once again when you compare bikes it's a pretty subjective exercise with lots to consider but that Streetfighter will be up against the Diavel S, & a few other very capable bikes so that engine better fight above it's weight or the bike will get spanked. The R with it's 67-69 inch wheelbase and 600# + weight will never be a real Streetfighter but fitted with factory saddlebags & brackets, small backrest and decent second seat it's really a 2 up power cruiser with sporting capabilities. I don't see H-D building that type of bike again for 5-7 years, if ever. I'll hold off on the wrist slashing ( and my breath holding ) till I ride the Streetfighter - in what, 4 years ? Alone, cause wifey won't get on it. :blahblah: :D

·
"Grab your ankles"
193 Posts
Streetfighter...NOW!!! :notworth:

If you're not tired of the overpriced, under-powered crap that H-D brass is infatuated with, then I can't help you. Lighter, more powerful, cheaper bikes are needed to bring in younger riders or H-D is sunk in ~10 years. Count it.

·
Horsepower Whisperer
733 Posts
Meh.
Why can't they do something surprisingly awesome like develop a proper performance engine. Maybe they could hire a german automotive engineering team to help design it...

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
CVO1 I absolutely agree ! I was a proponent of the Street series ( while everyone else was poo-pooing it ) before they even stole ( re-purposed ) the Streetrod name from my '06 bike. Anytime H-D can bring in lots more younger riders even if its with cheaper bikes I think it's helping to save the company long term big time. That 2022 ? Streetfighter, ( if they do the engine and chassis right ) will run circles around an 2006 R Model - if it doesn't - well, it will sell less than the original sales flop R ! What I was referring to is the different mission these two bikes really have to Tassie. I would love to park a Streetfighter next to my R model in four years, money available - for my one up bike, but as pictured it will not perform the two up mission I use the R for.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Touchsport that would be really funny stuff if it wasn't so sad. Revo with a sixth gear and three different cam and pipe combinations is all H-D needed to create four or five new bikes in the past 15 years. Never seen such a great engines design potential go so untapped, (and unloved by H-D brand loyalists ) - then thrown away when it could have be used in bikes they already could have designed and sold. See Squandered Potential in the dictionary ( next to a photo of a Revolution 1250cc engine ). Hopefully H-D can survive their severe case of Motorcycle Cranial Rectumitis.

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Guess the good thing about a prototype is it can be altered before full scale production kicks in.Till they give out more info it's a guesstimate but I'm not seeing anything exotic here to get my hopes up.
Thing I can't get my head around is if the Revo was canned as some claim on Euro emission standards what would make these new engines any different to what we had ?
Are they in fact Revo 2.0 with recast blocks/heads/crankcases etc they're not saying.
Is the whole deal a slow hatching letdown or the start of the revival?Maybe the upcoming dealer meeting will have some more clues.

Streetfighter is a series of 3 bikes isn't it,is one of them with the 1250 donk and what is it, a cruiser,trike,surfboard,vibrator for hornbags no one knows!:worthless

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Revolution Engine canned for bad sniff test ??

Tassie Revo was canned due to Euro emissions standards ? I've heard that kicked around before I'd like some more info on that if anyone has it - Interestingly my '97 3 Cylinder Triumph 900 was delivered as a US model with catalytic converters ( which were removed with install of a a Daytona 3-2 race pipe ) but that was 21 years ago ! I'm pretty sure the Euro Revos had H-D installed factory cats but they still couldn't pass the newer Euro emissions standards ? Did H-D even try ? Other engines of similar 1250cc and Hp output Indian Scout/Octane Ducati etc. have passed and for H-D their new engine will have to pass so what gives on the Revo ? Anyone ? :blahblah: :D

·
Yooper/Geek
745 Posts
My unofficial, formerly inside source (yes, 2nd/3rd hand speculation on my part) told me that, given sales, and given that it would have taken significant engineering investment ($$$) to meet the Euro5 standards, it was not worth the investment for them.

HD does not have infinite engineering resources (duh, nobody does). Apparently they put them to work on Rushmore, the M8, the electric bikes, the Streets, redesigned Softail, the above new lines, etc.

Also remember, the Dyna line went away in this mix, too, and that wasn't an engine issue.

Since both of those (and the Streets) were made in KC, that factory closure and consolidation of bike assembly to York likely played into the decision as well.

At least, the first bit is what I heard. The last bits are what I've observed since then. Doesn't mean it's even close to right. But from a business perspective, it all makes sense in the bigger picture. We'll never get actual insight from those that made the decisions.

Sucks that they didn't want to invest in the Revo. I'll say that it may have led somewhat to the Revolution-X, which they seem to be evolving into a more modular system. But other than the name, that's a bit of a stretch. (Both V-twin, both transmissions located inside the cases, both water-cooled. Outside of those, tho, not much similar.)

Given the prototypes above, they're at least trying to address markets they've been totally ignoring for years. We'll see where that goes.

In the meantime, I'll keep watching for parts for my soon-to-be considered antique. And I'll keep riding it and fixing the occasional problem with it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Meh.
Why can't they do something surprisingly awesome like develop a proper performance engine. Maybe they could hire a german automotive engineering team to help design it...
They did and put it in the VRSCs. Then the cancelled the line. From what I can see, there will quite a number of riders who will be eliminated with short inseams.

·
Asatruar
2,965 Posts
:angeldev:

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Quit screwing around. Lead, Follow or get out of the way.

So what I see then is H-D was too busy with other legacy bikes and engines, plus the new M8 to look into the near future and create new global bikes out of the great Revo 1250cc engine while it was still relevant. Hell they had been Poo-pooing it for 15 years so just let it go ! Never broke and made us money like cam box failures anyway. Then they woke up, decided they needed a new " Modular " 1250cc engine for a few new bikes and now they are going to redesign the whole thing so it gets what - 2 grams per liter less oxides of nitrogen at 4500 Rpm ? That justifies a multi Billion Dollar Investment ? They could have done the whole thing 10 years ago with the Revo and already had the bikes for sale, and have had sold hundreds of thousands of them already. So - late to the party, poor product planning, unaware of what they already have well designed at their fingertip disposal, then a new Multi-Billion $ investment to create another 1250cc engine, (of unknown quality or performance ) in the global marketplace- Brilliant. It better be good, REALLY good and impress all or that will be the most expensive and last turd they ever took. This is the BIG TIME. Get it right H-D, lead, follow, or get out of the way. You wanna go cheap ? Build a cheap bike. ( You have ) Want to build a Streetfighter cheap ? Just don't bother. Performance bikes and H-D's are not cheap so embrace that and build us a world class engine, and a world class bike that surrounds it. We will buy it. :blahblah: :D

·
Banned
5,281 Posts

·
"Grab your ankles"
193 Posts
So what I see then is H-D was too busy with other legacy bikes and engines, plus the new M8 to look into the near future and create new global bikes out of the great Revo 1250cc engine while it was still relevant. Hell they had been Poo-pooing it for 15 years so just let it go ! Never broke and made us money like cam box failures anyway. Then they woke up, decided they needed a new " Modular " 1250cc engine for a few new bikes and now they are going to redesign the whole thing so it gets what - 2 grams per liter less oxides of nitrogen at 4500 Rpm ? That justifies a multi Billion Dollar Investment ? They could have done the whole thing 10 years ago with the Revo and already had the bikes for sale, and have had sold hundreds of thousands of them already. So - late to the party, poor product planning, unaware of what they already have well designed at their fingertip disposal, then a new Multi-Billion $ investment to create another 1250cc engine, (of unknown quality or performance ) in the global marketplace- Brilliant. It better be good, REALLY good and impress all or that will be the most expensive and last turd they ever took. This is the BIG TIME. Get it right H-D, lead, follow, or get out of the way. You wanna go cheap ? Build a cheap bike. ( You have ) Want to build a Streetfighter cheap ? Just don't bother. Performance bikes and H-D's are not cheap so embrace that and build us a world class engine, and a world class bike that surrounds it. We will buy it. :blahblah: :D
If H-D prices this Streetfighter in the $10-15k range, it will be right in line with its main competitor...the Ducati Monster. And yes, for the love of God, the 975cc in this new H-D has to perform! The 821 Duc Monster is rated at 109hp. The 1200 DM puts out 147hp. Engineer it right or don't do it at all.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.