Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a vivd black 06 street rod. Compared to the other cruisers ive ridden this thing is awesome. The exhaust isnt stock and im looking to find out what it is.

Attachments

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,412 Posts
Congrats on the new ride - can't say I recognize those pipes but damn they sure are long....

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
look like mufflers that come on a DX but with chrome tips. there nothing special, just stock mufflers. them mufflers make the bike sound like a singer sewing machine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i am not impressed with them, I had a 04 650 yamaha v star as my first bike and this doesnt sound much better than that did. I definatly need to do something about that.

·
Red White & Blue
177 Posts
Look like hollow points. Can't find them anywhere on Harley's website. They probably don't make them any more?????

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Those are called the "Hollow Points". The bottom one was cut shorter. They were made with the chrome ends for the Street Rod as an option and then they just put them on the DX as stock.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
look like mufflers that come on a DX but with chrome tips. there nothing special, just stock mufflers. them mufflers make the bike sound like a singer sewing machine.
Get on it above seven grand and it doesn't sound like any sewing machine I know of? Sounds darn nice up there, but you can ride around the city or your neighborhood without angering neighbors or setting off car alarms.
Not too many pipes will make more power over the entire rev range either. Most of the aftermarket stuff is not well engineered at all. Lots of noise and "style" but most hurt power and/or grind in corners.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
What Jethro and Phil said. Hollow points. Actually a very good exhaust. Kinda quiet, and I changed out for a CFR first thing. About 8 exhausts later, I should have left it alone! Leave it alone! You won't, so, listen to as many as you can, then pick. Or, everytime you want to change it, put 700 bucks in the bank. By the 8th time, you can buy a turbo! Joe

·
Asatruar
2,965 Posts
Get on it above seven grand and it doesn't sound like any sewing machine I know of? Sounds darn nice up there,...
:them:

·
Registered
38 Posts
"Leave it alone!"

Truer words were never spoken. Lots of cash for 3 HP and lots of noise. My R runs perfect and is quiet at low RPM and barks pretty good on the high end. I'm not changing anything.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hey guys, anybody have the exhaust collector for the "R" from when you switched out pipes? Service guy said mine is pretty bad. Its the middle piece that the 2 pipes from the engine hook into and then the 2 exhaust pipes hook into!! I have the heat shields will only need the collector! PM me or let me know here! Thanks~

·
Registered
399 Posts
Get on it above seven grand and it doesn't sound like any sewing machine I know of? Sounds darn nice up there, but you can ride around the city or your neighborhood without angering neighbors or setting off car alarms.
Not too many pipes will make more power over the entire rev range either. Most of the aftermarket stuff is not well engineered at all. Lots of noise and "style" but most hurt power and/or grind in corners.
I drilled my R muffs. Wasn't thrilled and sealed 'em back up. I had a freind ride the bike by while I stood roadside and observed various speeds. I was pleasantly amazed. The stock tubes make a nice, viscious snarl with good volume. It reminds me of an exotic car. I also love the sound the bike makes on decel when the throttle is closed. It's music.
The stock exhaust,unlike the trademark staggered duals on an airhead,is an engineered unit. Yup, it's very heavy but so is the whole bike. Don't throw the stock parts away....

·
powder4thepeople.com
60 Posts
Congrats on your new Street Rod ! ... (best model and color if I do say so ;-) .... mine came with those same pipes (see gallery), dealer said that someone demo'd the bike and melted their boot on the original pipes after the ride and it was easier for them to swap in cans like the ones you have. Agree that aftermarket pipes can drain the mod funds quickly and be a royal PIA in some other ways ... then again dropping 35 lbs off the a$$ end feels pretty good. Welcome and congrats again !

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Yea aftermarket is loud specially the first time ya hear em, I was rather intimidated the first time i heard my supertrapps crank up. But hey loud pipes do save lives...
And the weight difference does make a difference too.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I think weight is the only serious drawback of the stock exhaust. I'd love a titanium replica, but as my mom ( ! ) would say, wish in one hand and sh1t in the other and see which one fills up the fastest, lol. Salty mom I had.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Probably why you were a Sailor! Weight is the only drawback to stock. That, and how big they are! Mechanically, they rock.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Okay, Philthy, Imma gonna try it!! I WISH THIS WINTER WOULD GET OVER ALREADY!!! ~~~~~~Sorry, guys I gotta go wash my other hand!!! Damn, I was this close too!!!

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Okay, Philthy, Imma gonna try it!! I WISH THIS WINTER WOULD GET OVER ALREADY!!! ~~~~~~Sorry, guys I gotta go wash my other hand!!! Damn, I was this close too!!!
I'm hearing ya bro. I'm hoping the clock winds around to quitting time before the rain flies, again. If I'd have played hookie fifteen minutes early yesterday I would have made it home dry, but when it's dry(ish) in the morning it's tough to resist the song that motorcycle sings.

Supposed to rain/snow Saturday afternoon too, so the breakfast run to Camilles Sidewalk Cafe down in Lancaster will have to bright and early. Spring weather in the desert is dynamic.

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
[Hey guys, anybody have the exhaust collector for the "R" from when you switched out pipes? Service guy said mine is pretty bad. Its the middle piece that the 2 pipes from the engine hook into and then the 2 exhaust pipes hook into!! I have the heat shields will only need the collector! PM me or let me know here! Thanks~ /QUOTE] I may have one stashed away. I'll look this weekend. Its yours for the price of shipping if I still have it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts