Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had two and four stoke singles and parallel twins, medium and big Vs, a plethora of fours, but never actually owned a triple before.

Took the plunge this week - 675 Daytona.

She's an 09 bike, in good shape, with about 14k miles so should have loosened up nicely.

Rides like a 600 class Jap sports bike, albeit with a bit more low and mid-range grunt from the extra 75cc and a nice triple-howl when you get her up into the upper reaches of the rev-range. PO fitted a more free-flowing end-can, and is sending me on a new set of headers/decat pipe - which should let a bit more of the howl loose.

Been a while since I've owned anything that would let you go and play properly with the speed merchants in the twisties round here, so a whole big learning curve to climb back up. Wish me luck, I'll need it :)

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Looks great Al,especially in the black should be able to tilt the horizon with that one,what's the old saying go fast slowly.Any idea of the significance of the Daytona insignia any history there or just a catchy name?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Looks great Al,especially in the black should be able to tilt the horizon with that one,what's the old saying go fast slowly.Any idea of the significance of the Daytona insignia any history there or just a catchy name?
Was named Daytona after a historic win for Triumph with a Tiger 100 back in 1966 in the Daytona 200 at Daytona beach. The rider was an American called Buddy Elmore. The following year Triumph introduced a production bike called the Tiger 100 Daytona and have continued to use the name.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have it in one CR :)

Bit cheeky really, taking the name of the most famous 'Merkin race-track for a fairly low-tech Brit twin, but since all of the other sexy ones like Monza/Imola/Le-Mans had already been taken, then they must have grabbed the Daytona name before anybody else could stop them. The name does resonate with petrolheads of a wide range of ages though, so probably aint a bad choice.

Now that I think of it, there was at least one Triumph triple with a bona-fide Triumph triple history though:

http://www.fedrotriple.it/agg_2012_05/1970-triumph-trident-tait-daytona.jpg

A close cousin of the famous 'Slippery Sam' if I'm not mistaken :)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
You have it in one CR :)

Bit cheeky really, taking the name of the most famous 'Merkin race-track for a fairly low-tech Brit twin, but since all of the other sexy ones like Monza/Imola/Le-Mans had already been taken, then they must have grabbed the Daytona name before anybody else could stop them. The name does resonate with petrolheads of a wide range of ages though, so probably aint a bad choice.

Now that I think of it, there was at least one Triumph triple with a bona-fide Triumph triple history though:

http://www.fedrotriple.it/agg_2012_05/1970-triumph-trident-tait-daytona.jpg

A close cousin of the famous 'Slippery Sam' if I'm not mistaken :)
Absolutely! Probably one of the most famous Triumphs ever.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
How do you get on with that clutchless shift gizmo? Friend of mine has one and first time I rode it, I didnt know it had it, and I have a habit of putting a little weight on the shift lever and then just gently squeezing the clutch until it shifts. Doing that made some very strange shifts I can tell you!! Couldn't understand what was going on to start with!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you get on with that clutchless shift gizmo? Friend of mine has one and first time I rode it, I didnt know it had it, and I have a habit of putting a little weight on the shift lever and then just gently squeezing the clutch until it shifts. Doing that made some very strange shifts I can tell you!! Couldn't understand what was going on to start with!!
It's not a big deal really. On the VRod, you can pretty much clutchless shift up and down - just ease off the throttle and tap her up or down a notch. Quickshifters pretty much do exactly that.

I think most boxes on modern bikes modern are so well designed that all but the most ham-fisted (footed?) efforts will get them to change gear.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
It's not a big deal really. On the VRod, you can pretty much clutchless shift up and down - just ease off the throttle and tap her up or down a notch. Quickshifters pretty much do exactly that.

I think most boxes on modern bikes modern are so well designed that all but the most ham-fisted (footed?) efforts will get them to change gear.
Jap bikes have pretty much always been able to shift clutchless. I can remember back in the 70's on my Suzukis how slick the changes were. But the problem I was having with the Triumph was as I was putting a little pressure on the gear lever the clutch was disengaging while the throttle was still open and I hadn't fully pushed the gear lever to change gear. Once I realised what was happening all was good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Was named Daytona after a historic win for Triumph with a Tiger 100 back in 1966 in the Daytona 200 at Daytona beach. The rider was an American called Buddy Elmore. The following year Triumph introduced a production bike called the Tiger 100 Daytona and have continued to use the name.
Thanks for the history class. Been thinking about this for a long time and I didn't even care to google it once.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts