Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Premium Member
68XLCH, 88FXLR, 09FLHTCU, 06VRSCSE2
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning folks... just came across an 06 SE while poking around looking at older V-rods. Wasn't really looking for a V-rod, already have 3 Harleys, had an 02 VR a few years ago, that I liked, but sold after several months when I didn't have anywhere to store it for the winter. Didn't care for the forward controls and drag bars, riding it like I was a clam, didn't make for any kind of comfortable riding. So while poking around FB Marketplace, a couple of local VR's for sale local popped up and I thought maybe I could do a little wheeling and dealing, pick one up cheap, play with it for a while and turn it over for a few bucks. I just retired from my performance auto shop, need to make a little extra income going forward.

Long story short, I didn't pull the trigger on the several local VR's for sale.. traveled 4 hours to upstate NY to check out a pretty nice looking orange 05 CR, it was a mess in person.. decided to drop the idea of a VR and just put some time into my 88 FXLR and 68 XLCH ... but then I saw it ....... a 2006 orange SE up in NH .... it immediately blew me away.. was just listed, 6700 miles, mint ... I worked the deal and went up a day latter and picked it up. It is all I could have wanted ... with the pull back bars and forward controls, it's a very similar ride compared to my FXLR ... the bike looks like it came off the showroom floor, and it came with about $1500 worth of Harley clothing, all my size and style, including a beautiful leather riding jacket and leather vest.. didn't know about the extras until I was on the way up to pick the bike up.

Now the fun part, being I like making my Harley's MY bike.. I'm trying hard not to start making changes, but I want to play with the performance .... just not sure what to do. I need to ride it more, to figure out where the power band is, seems like I need more bottom end, but then, like I said.. learning the power band and how to optimize what I have will take time. I haven't found too much in the way of recipes for performance upgrades, so I'm hoping I can pick your brains and experience here. It currently has VandH dual exhaust, apparently from the dealer when it was purchased, but that's all I have determined ...

Here's a picture of it when I picked it up

Here's a picture of it after I got home with it and removed the rear bag and crash bar ..

Premium Member
One of the most beautiful and best V Rods ever made - Congratulations ! if I were to buy another foot forward bike ( Had an '03 Anniversary ) that would be it ! You got a GREAT Deal, yup I'm jealous - I admit it !! (y)馃槃

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Daaamn ... took her out for a little around town jaunt yesterday .... Wow... this bike just absolutely wows me. Been riding my souped up Ultra Classic for the most part of the last couple years... The FXLR has been down now for almost 3 years with a broken crank pin.. This little hot rod flys... the acceleration is so smooth and deceivingly fast, next thing I know, I'm laid into the corners like I'm one with the bike.. I'm 67yo.... don't think I'm supposed to be playing like this .... 馃槑

Premium Member
Yes you are !! Have fun but be careful in the corners - long wheelbase & slowish steering can work against you especially in S turns where you have to stand it up & lean the other way - if you've been riding big H-D's you're probably aware - so get it going on a nice long straight highway and let her rip to 8500 Rpm thru the gears if you haven't already for some REAL fun !! 馃憤馃槃

_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
Nice bike. Was my 1st HD. My '06 SE2. Did it not come with the fancy radiator cover cover (I didn't stutter).

Reactions: turbo38gn

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice bike. Was my 1st HD. My '06 SE2. Did it not come with the fancy radiator cover cover (I didn't stutter).
Ya know, I have seen that cover on everyone I've seen.... what you see is what it came with .. any info you can give me about it is appreciated..

Registered
Congratulations on your new ride, it looks fantastic! I bought an 05 screaming eagle in orange a couple years ago and really like it. The only mod it had on it was a power commander three and the Dino chart showed 125 hp. I haven鈥檛 done anything to it except put on new tires. It鈥檚 pretty fun! I am thinking about a 5 gallon gas tank and a keyless mod, it just seems like it would be better.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes, the 5 gal. mod.. where can I find that..

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How about exhaust ... any better options than the Vance and Hines I have on there now..

Premium Member
That exhaust actually looks appropriate and even great on that '06 S/E - the only other one I'd consider would be a chrome Bassani Road Rage or B1 2-1 pipe but the rear header pipe does go over the clutch side cover instead of forward of it like the stock head pipes you have now - so more heat on your right inner leg with the fwd. controls. May be a bummer, maybe someone can chime in here if they have one. Don't know what it sounds like now but if it sounds good, not too loud I hate to say it but I'd probably leave it alone - it's got a great classy look IMHO, and an Akro or SuperTrapp are $ 1000 and possibly too racey looking for that beautiful S/E bike. Bassani B1 would look good if you didn't mind the heat and a couple hundred bucks less but what you have looks real good to me and that's saying something because I'm always modifying motorcycle and V Rod exhaust systems. Best of Luck with the bike !!

_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
I had a nice Trask spinner muffler on my '06 SE2. Those look great and work great too.

Reactions: turbo38gn

Registered
I'd be willing to take the crash bars off your hands if you didn't want them.

I like that windscreen, is it marked with a brand/model?

Try fredy.ee for parts, they have everything from the 5 gal fuel tank to superchargers.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, thanks guys.. I think Streetrod talked me into leaving it the hell alone.. cause I agree, I love the looks, the sound is good, the performance is good.. I am a 2 into 1 exhaust guy.. love it on my FXLR and just did a 110 Fuel Moto kit with the 2 into 1 Jack Pot exhaust on my 09 FLH, the sound is incredible.. not to mention the performance.

The windshield is a Windvest .. I love it!

I'll think about the crash bar ... but for now, I'm hanging onto it..

My most important need is going to be tires, they look original, and dry, but not cracked. I'm up for suggestions and cost. I won't ride it too hard, I'm more of a drag racer kind of rider... but sure do like a good curvy road.. and just plain cruising.. It's like cruising around and coming upon a nice looking curve and the throttle suddenly begins to roll on by itself... and of course, I catch a stop light and there happens to be a hot bike near me.... the same thing seems to happen to the throttle. Maybe I'll tell ya all about the 6cyl, turbocharged, 1200 HP Buick regal Ttype I own.. We call it theGreat Pumpkin... it's orange like my bike.. :cool:

Registered
Congrats brother!!!
You picked up the best looking V-Rod, in the best color, with the best exhaust, ever. However, I may be bias :unsure:
1.jpg

You cannot beat this paint job lol
IMG_20200828_162807293.jpg

Seriously, I picked mine up last season in a similar manner. I planned on one day owning a 100th Anniversary. I never knew these existed. Stumbled on it by accident and had to have it. Love it. Best bike I ever owned. Mine already had the 5gal conversion. I'm not too sure I'd do it if it wasn't done. I'm really trying to "leave this bike alone" and you need to cut or bend a plate on the bottom. That being said, several times I have rode several hundred miles in one day with my HOG chapter but these guys wouldn't have cared if they needed an extra pit stop for me to gas up. My bike had brand new Mich Commander II front and back and they feel great to me. It also had a 2-1 CFR exhaust on it. I didn't like the look or the sound. Found the V&H pipes new non this forum. Love them.
I run topless with a Power Commander 3. A few weeks ago I had the bike Dyno tuned at Vreeland Harley in PA. These guys are big time V-Rodders. Owner assured me that the entire drivetrain on these bikes are WAY overbuilt for any stockish power. He said, ride as hard as you want and as long as you change the fluids you'll go 200,000 miles without any issues (I'm not sure what'll let go at 200,000 lol).
Ride safe.
BTW I peeped that Buick in the photo before you mentioned it. Nice.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Manny, thanks .... you nailed it. I've owned an awful lot of Harleys from my old 1968 Sportster XLCH I purchased in Puerto Rico when I was stationed at Roosevelt Roads in1973... to my 09 FLHTCU .... My all time favorite has been my 88 FXLR stroker, it has everything, handling, 120hp at the rear wheel in 1993.... this SE ...... is amazing... the ride is similar to my FX .. only better .. I love it, it's an absolute keeper!!! It's my new favorite bike! I briefly owned an 02 V-rod, liked it ... but no comparison to this SE

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And by the way Manny .... your bike looks great, we're twins... On the 5 gal gas tank .... was thinking about it.. but maybe not worth the effort. I noticed today, stock tank, 90.something miles on it and it took 3.31 gallons...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts