Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 06 vrod that has had a busted head for quite a while. I finially found a brand new set that I got a great deal on and they are SE heads. Other than changing the heads, it is bone stock for now. The instructions in the box say that it needs a race tuner. I wouldn't have thought that just the heads would make that much difference, so I guess I'm looking for some advice.
First, do the SE heads alone really make that much difference?
Second I have seen SE Race tuner kits and Race Fueler Kits. The fueler kit seems less exspensive.
I have also seen used race tuner kits but my understanding is once they are "linked" to a particular bike they can not be used on anything else. Is this true or can they be reset?
Any recomendations on if I need either of these or possible a better route to go would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Since you have an '06 then the S-E CNC heads from '05 were used to make the new casting for the '06 and up heads so you should be fine without a tuner as long as you are using the stock cams. What happened to your original heads?

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
I have a race fueler if you want it. $50.00 plus shipping and its yours. PM me if you want it. I took it off my 06 R so it will fit on yours.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I bought it, it had a knock in the top end. 5000 miles on the bike. Turned out two of the cam cap bolts on the rear head exhaust cam had pulled out the other cap that didn't pull out cracked in half. The exhaust cam was also slightly bent. Bought a new cam and got a great deal on the SE heads (575 delivered brand new in the box). I am going to pull the motor and install the heads next week. I don't really have the money to do any other mods right now IE Cams, exhaust, etc. But I do want to get it running asap.
Tie one on, what is the difference in the race fueler and race tuner? Also, I really need to go back and check the year of the bike. It could be a 2005 or 2006. I have several bikes and don't remember 100% which year it is.
If it is a 05 instead of 06 will the fueler still work?

·
Noel
4,604 Posts
The race fueler piggy backs between the ECM & the injectors controlling the pulse duration increasing the amount of fuel delivered. These devices are transplantable from one machine to another.

The race tuner interfaces with your ECM, using computer software the fuel maps and several other parameters can be adjusted... in the end increasing the amount of fuel delivered. Once the programing is done the interface is disconnected, (this needs to be used solely with that bike from them on)

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
The year is needed since there was a change to the unit in late 05 years. so this race fueler fits late 05 and all 06 year

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
I actually had good experience with the fueler. It was easy to install, I got a good tune out of it for the little amount of trouble it took me to set it up and I never had to play around with it after my setup was complete.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
the fueler is a fairly simply device that can only add fuel and does it to large areas of the map so fine tuning isn`t possible but they can make a bike run decent.. basically you get what you pay for..

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
the fueler is a fairly simply device that can only add fuel and does it to large areas of the map so fine tuning isn`t possible but they can make a bike run decent.. basically you get what you pay for..
Hey, they are good for what they are. I had mine on for 2 years almost and the bike ran good with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts