Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for new tires, still on factory Dunlops on my '03 VRSCA. Like to do touring twisties. Gonna stay 180 rear. Thinking about Pirelli Night Dragons. Heard the Avons wear too fast. I would really appreciate some HONEST insight. Also, is there any big difference in getting away from the stock solid wheels, I was considering chroming them to avoid cleaning the black oxidation. Racetech Gold valves?:)

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,168 Posts
I have 9K on a front cobra right now and it seems I can get a few more K out of it. The Dunlop lasted for only 6K.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
How come few people know how to use the "Search" feature 'round here? It's right next to "New Posts"...

·
EXCELSIOR
8,483 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Avons. Wear slightly faster, grip WAY better! WAY! Like save your life WAY. Joe

·
The Instigator!
2,226 Posts
Metzelers on my '03 VRSCA. Got nearly 15K on this last set and I have 51K on her now...

Brad

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Metzelers on my '03 VRSCA. Got nearly 15K on this last set and I have 51K on her now...

Brad
15K on Metz?:notworth::notworth:

I might make 10K. (Not many burnouts!:hidesbeh:)

·
The Instigator!
2,226 Posts
15K on Metz?:notworth::notworth:

I might make 10K. (Not many burnouts!:hidesbeh:)
Nice sofa dude! Last 2 sets of Metz's I did approx 12k... I just get good mileage and like the cold weather and rain grip...

Brad

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts

Brad

Brad

I'm due for new rubber in the spring. Were these Metz tires your ran the standard rear size of 180 or were they they 200? I'm assuming you had the "880 marathon" in the rear?

I need to do this & do it right the first time, ya know?

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
I can't add anything to the OP's question except whatever tire you decide on going with to consider using Dyna beads for balancing... Best $6 you'll ever spend on your motorcycle...

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,168 Posts
What do you have on rear (besides wife):)
I have a dunlop 250. Went through 2 Dunlops in about 15K. I have a new set of Avons waiting to be put on...just need to get to it.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts

·
The Instigator!
2,226 Posts
Brad

I'm due for new rubber in the spring. Were these Metz tires your ran the standard rear size of 180 or were they they 200? I'm assuming you had the "880 marathon" in the rear?

I need to do this & do it right the first time, ya know?

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
I always run the 200's on a 180 rim. I did all of the prerequisite mod's but I really didn't need to - had clearance of the belt-guards a fenders etc. Yes 880 Marathons...

Brad

·
motorsickle1130
219 Posts
Slip'n Slide tires

I'd say if your asking about tires, don't put a 200 on the rear. Stick with a 180 until your a little more familiar with your bike.
I run the Metzler Marathon 880's up here. I get a little nervous in the rain and on REALLY COLD days but haven't had too many issues other than waking up on my back in the street on a frosty night. So you would probably be better off with Avons just because of the grip. Wait on the Marathons until your used to the bike (about the life of the Avons). And for Gods' sake, DON'T BUY THE BRIDGESTONE's!!:soapbox:

-That's my advice, which is worth what ya paid for it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts