Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my bike after having new Dunlops installed at my dealer.

I'm right at 10,000 miles - and was still on the original set. All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with the mileage I got out of them. I do a fair amount of 2-up riding, plus at least a couple of thousand of those miles were at freeway speeds (~75 mph+). The wear bars were starting to show in places, and I noticed that the rear tire had started to get kinda squirrely.

After much searching and thinking about it, I decided to have the dealer do the whole thing. I know I could have taken the wheels off myself and brought them in (thereby saving myself about $60 or so); but I also could have spent several hours screwing around, and ended up messing up the belt tension, etc. Sometimes its much better to leave the job to a professional - knowing your own limitations is not such a bad thing. Including tax, installation, mounting and balancing, plus disposal of the old tires, this set me back $375. Not cheap - but then nothing to do with the V-Rod is that way. I guess I'll throw 4 cents into my "tire jar" for every mile I put on this set.

The new tires look a lot better than the ones that came off the bike. I guess I'd forgotten how deep the tread was, especially in the middle of the rear tire. I haven't had a chance to test the grip much - it was raining when I rode the bike home, and its never a good idea to get very aggressive with brand new tires. The release agent they put in the mold can make the surface of brand new tires somewhat slippery, so its a good idea to break them in gently for the first 50 miles or so.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
LOL I love the smell of new road rubbers. Smoke em if ya got em. :)

Max

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
You did good to get 10.000 miles, I have almost 6500[ none smoking]miles and I have a set on the way. Going with the metz's and a 200 on the back.don't know if the 200 willl perform better but they look good.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
The release agent they put in the mold can make the surface of brand new tires somewhat slippery, so its a good idea to break them in gently for the first 50 miles or so.
This is one of those "useful facts" newbie riders really need, Drew, so thanks for posting it. When I got my new Metz's a few weeks ago, I only heard about this break-in by accident. I was reading the Metzeler site for info about the direction of mounting the tires and ran into this in their FAQ.

It seems like a good warning for the dealer to have given me when they mounted the new tires, but they didn't say anything -- maybe they just assumed any idiot should already know it. Makes me wonder how many other "useful facts" that "everybody" except me knows are lurking out there.

Yay for the forums!

Val

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I got new rubber when I bought the bike, with 3500 miles on it (last March). I'm at 7500 now. Front is a little cupped (low pressure I'm betting, I was running 34 instead of the recommended 38). I'll let the dealer replace them with whatever he wants - I have an unlimited lifetime tire warranty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just put the Venoms on today.

Got 3500 out of the stock dumbplop & 200 metz

Venoms look real good, fyi: did not need any weights to be balanced. Oldies had quite a few.

A quick runabout left me feeling like the bike is much more agile (tires are much more rounded than the ones that came off.)

I'm looking forward to hitting the mountains with them this weekend.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Max - I feel better knowing you have working front brakes....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts