Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
201 - 220 of 234 Posts

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
Kit showed up Monday morning and got some parts on their way to the chromer…. Cant wait to get this sucker started.
Damn. I really wanted to do one of these on the 1402 with a set of the Jones FI cams. <Sigh>. I'll be lurking here watching your build Doug, as well as Big's.

·
The Hawk
3,923 Posts
Putting it on the throttle body vacuum port is a good place, it will read vacuum when not in boost and it will read true boost, ie, boost below the throttle body blades and down into the heads, not the boost that is in the plenum. You will need to clamp in on there with a hose clamp to keep it from blowing off under boost.

Mike

·
FATASSDX
2,143 Posts
Putting it on the throttle body vacuum port is a good place, it will read vacuum when not in boost and it will read true boost, ie, boost below the throttle body blades and down into the heads, not the boost that is in the plenum. You will need to clamp in on there with a hose clamp to keep it from blowing off under boost.

Mike
Great info - thanks

·
FATASSDX
2,143 Posts
Damn. I really wanted to do one of these on the 1402 with a set of the Jones FI cams. <Sigh>. I'll be lurking here watching your build Doug, as well as Big's.
At this point I am planning to put the SC on my SE2. I would love to put it on the 1402 but something tells me that 6lbs of boost on top of 12.5:1 compression just might not be a good idea......

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
At this point I am planning to put the SC on my SE2. I would love to put it on the 1402 but something tells me that 6lbs of boost on top of 12.5:1 compression just might not be a good idea......
Yeah I knew that's where yours is going.

I look at that problem as more of a fuel quality and timing issue. We still have plentiful 93 octane Sunoco around, and 6lb isn't all that much boost really. I haven't done the math but the actual mass flow of fuel/air shouldn't be a whole lot different from say 10lb at 11:1 or so. I think it **could** hold together with the right parts (which included the trask output bearing support that I just sold) and a judicious tune (and halfway sane rider, which I am not - at least now). HA.

·
Registered
229 Posts
12.5:1 @ 6 lbs at sea level equals an effective compression ratio of 17.6:1. I don't understand why there isn't more discussion about wayer/ meth injection in this part of the forum. I think these engines can handle the power of 200+ hp, they just can't handle predetonation. I'll be finishing my water/meth injection install tonight, but won't be able to test it til this weekend. I'm running 12:1 at 8 lbs. With about 25.7 deg advance @ 6500 rpm . I'll be using a 50/50 mix. I'm using a Hobbs switch and relay instead of a progressive controller. I think that will work well with my riding style. The w/m inj. will start at 3 lbs. I'm using a #3 nozzle about 4.6 gal/hour at 150 psi. I have the pump set at 250 psi.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
12.5:1 @ 6 lbs at sea level equals an effective compression ratio of 17.6:1. I don't understand why there isn't more discussion about wayer/ meth injection in this part of the forum. I think these engines can handle the power of 200+ hp, they just can't handle predetonation. I'll be finishing my water/meth injection install tonight, but won't be able to test it til this weekend. I'm running 12:1 at 8 lbs. With about 25.7 deg advance @ 6500 rpm . I'll be using a 50/50 mix. I'm using a Hobbs switch and relay instead of a progressive controller. I think that will work well with my riding style. The w/m inj. will start at 3 lbs. I'm using a #3 nozzle about 4.6 gal/hour at 150 psi. I have the pump set at 250 psi.

Good info. Now you made me look, and 8 lb @ 11:1 is an effective ratio of 16.99. 10 lb is 18.48. ([email protected]:1 is 18.53). We know those numbers are being used with pump gas only right now. You're right though, H2O/meth injection would certainly be good protection against detonation and contribute a lot to temperature control. It does complicate the overall picture though in terms of additional bottles, injectors, pumps, lines, control and tuning, etc.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

Mike
THANKS you to Hoffa
now to hunt the parts to fit it properly..

·
Premium Member
168 Posts

Can't wait to hear how that goes!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I built my own turbo kit. The plenum is similar to the Trask so I have room for the pump under the air box cover on the left. I put the bottle under the left passenger peg. I have a muscle so when I went with the single down tube from the turbo it freed up that space. I used a small oxygen tank ( epoxy coated aluminum inside and out). The pump is 26 inches above the tank, but it's suppose to be able to draw an eight foot head.

·
all or nothing
1,391 Posts

What's wrong with cooling 106 RON E85?
Will do +17psi at 10.5:1

·
Registered
229 Posts
Can't get E85 in Philadelphia as far as I know. I thought the fuel consumption would be prohibitive at the AFR required for E85. I'm also not running an intercooler. I haven't seen one that was functional and had an acceptable appearance...well, besides yours anyway. Hoping the water/ meth will solve the intercooler problem.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
E85 available sparsely in Allentown area, but you correctly point out that you won't be traveling very far on a tankful.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
Just 20% works extremely well and 20% of 30% more fuel is just 6% so just set the bike up a little rich, put the mix in when you get the opportunity and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
VR_man_GER FYI - hey it's a 7 1/2 year old thread - kinda dead but lots more info here on the site just search supercharger - etc. (y):cool:

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
I also dont understand the compression - for sure you have to reduce the compression ratio for this supercharger?
Only if going higher boost levels. If you limit the boost to 6 psi , stock compression is fine. This is done with the inlet reducer, (supplied) or a better way is with adding a BLV set to pop off at 6-7 psi.
Ron

·
Registered Insane
Two 2003 VRSCA's: CTHULHU is Black/Sterling, N/A ; EVIL TWIN is Anodized and S/C
479 Posts
Anyone have opinions on piston manufacturers/products?

I have Carillo Copper Plated 9.5:1 pistons on my build sheet...

I used JE Pistons on my previous build. 12:1 with 1130cc and 2005 SE Heads, etc. I haven't taken it apart or scoped it or anything. Only got 5K miles (or so) on that one. (Had a lousy summer here in Western New York. Only raced like 5 times.)

If I went with JE Pistons 9.5:1 on the new S/C build I was thinking I'd send them to SwainTech along with my heads for their thermal coatings.

Carillo CP pistons I think are already designed for the heat with the copper plating.

Are there any other manufacturers I should be considering?

-Sean

·
Registered
92 Posts
Only if going higher boost levels. If you limit the boost to 6 psi , stock compression is fine. This is done with the inlet reducer, (supplied) or a better way is with adding a BLV set to pop off at 6-7 psi.
Ron
Awesome thanks - 6 PSI is plenty and I dont even want more. Thanks for the reply

201 - 220 of 234 Posts