Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Before you buy any helmet online. Try your best to find a place where you can try one on. They are all different, and fit different. Makers are constantly changing the padding so an XL in one series of helmet might be an XXL in the next series of the same helmet. Happened to me with the LS2. Shoei, Bell, Arai, HJC all make some nice helmets. Shoei and Bell have always seemed heavy to me.Years ago the Shoei RF105V was my favorite. Now I use an LS2 Valiant convertible helmet. It is a full face and a 3/4 combined. A full face helmet is a PITA at times. Nice to be able to flip it over for better airflow in the heat. And about a million other reasons. If money isn't an issue. And you want the best helmet you can get. Look into Shuberth. They are the most quiet helmet on the market. Very high quality. And priced that way. You will find that helmets are a lot like Oil and Tires. Everyone has their favorite.

·
Premium Member
2,346 Posts
I've got the Shoei Neotec Modular with Sena 10 comm/music and love it - nice to be able to open the front up to speak to someone or cool off when needed. Back in my off road racing days I woke up on a stretcher being carried out off the track two miles thru the woods to the ambulance, temporarily paralyzed from the neck down by an exploded neck vertebrae disc and the EMT's wouldn't take my helmet off ( which was good ) but I've never been so claustrophobic in my life. Overheated. Couldn't breathe. Worst feeling ever. Because of that I rode street when I started with open face helmets on a Triumph, but wanting more protection at speed on the V Rod so I went to a full face but have now evolved to a modular. Best of both worlds, and not claustrophobic. Great protection and instant open/close. Quiet enough for music at 100+ Mph. Just a thought for you Wingloader -

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Is there a PM (private message) option on this forum? I didn't want to put the phone number out there but I didn't see another option. :)
PMs are called conversations on this site. If you click on your avatar at the top right of your screen, a drop down menu will appear and in there you will see "Converstions"

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
On a side note; I wish I could edit my post for my typos. I really can speel better than what is being seen in my posts.
If you click the 3 little dots at the top right of your post a drop down menu appears with "Edit" in there. Click that and you can amend anything within that post.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I use the Shoei RF-SR, based on the RF1200 shell but a little cheaper and fit better on my noggin than the RF1200 although I did have to get sized up padding for it as the original padding was too loose once broken in. After a single 30 min ride on my DX without my helmet, I severely appreciate my Shoei from a noise and wind perspective. Extremely comfortable, quiet and pretty light at just over 3lbs.

+1 for the MSF course. My DX is my first bike and I took the MSF course as I hadn't ridden anything more than a dirt bike about 15 years prior. The Harley MSF course gave us some garbage Street 500s that I wouldn't wish for anyone to ride but the course itself had phenomenal teachers (guy and a girl that were sport bike riders, not Harley employees).

·
Registered
2003 V-Rod A
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Had my first day of MSF training. Big confidence booster. There is so much I did not know. I cannot imagine just getting on a bike and "doing it" without some kind of training. Wow. Eye opening to say the least. The only drawback is that I was assigned a Honda sport bike. It weighs less than me I think. I will have a big adjustment to undergo when I get on my V-Rod. I will find a parking lot and re-do all the training exercises on my bike to get the feel for it.

OMG it is fun.

I am also trying to get my post count up so I can comment on classifieds... :) I'm still in the market for a windshield. The one I was going to get from ZX14R fell through as he did not end up buying the bike.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You are obsessing about a windshield on a bike you haven't even ridden yet. How do you know you will even want a windshield on a V-Rod until riding it a couple thousand miles?
Not trying to be harsh. I can't stand anything more than a fly screen on a bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Joe,
You're not really gonna need the windshield for the vrod. The bike looks far better without it, plus you will be riding full face Helmet.
The widshield will create a significant amount of drag as well.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts