Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Теперь, когда все успокоились после дебюта Harley-Davidson Pan America 1250 и Pan America 1250 Special 2021 года , давайте поближе познакомимся с абсолютно новым двигателем Revolution Max 1250, которым оснащены два новых мотоцикла ADV от The Motor Company. . Не волнуйтесь - мы делаем это просто. Кроме того, у нас есть множество вырезанных фотографий, чтобы удовлетворить ваше любопытство.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,502 Posts
Yes that is a bit of a mind boggler. Would have to be two pin wouldn't it to get 30deg offset. Seem to remember some of the JAP speedway motors had offset cranks.
Honda actually did some offset pin cranks in some of their V-Twin offerings along with balancers to get smoother running.
Of course when you put loud pipes on a Shadow it typically sounds like two Honda dirtbikes with loud mufflers running out of sync, a more cacophonous racket I've never heard than a VTX with loud pipes

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Honda actually did some offset pin cranks in some of their V-Twin offerings along with balancers to get smoother running.
Of course when you put loud pipes on a Shadow it typically sounds like two Honda dirtbikes with loud mufflers running out of sync, a more cacophonous racket I've never heard than a VTX with loud pipes
Yes the 1800 vtx and 1100 shadows ran offset pins. The 750 shadow was single pin. Huge differences in sound. Not a fan of the offset pin sound. The 750 sounded more harley like.
Ron

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
jugheadny - yes I agree the engine may have been intended for use in other bikes that were cancelled but I believe this engine was designed primarily for the Pan America ADV bike from it's inception. I don't see 150Hp and 94 Ft/Lbs Torque in a M/C designed to go off road so yes, it should be in a primarily on road bike IMHO. That engine in a V Rod would pull 165 Mph + all day long guaranteed. That engine in a big heavy H-D Touring bike up against the Challenger ? ? I don't think so too short a stroke - Torque not low enough in the Rpm range, and Max Hp at an Rpm that's too high - the big twins do the job just fine, they just need to be water cooled. You don't want a road race style engine in a Touring bike, that's the definition of frustrating but maybe an ADV bike ridden aggressively - but It does need to be in a power cruiser for sure, period. So where's it at ? The perfect engine waiting for a motorcycle ? Only H-D could get this that F'kd up. Right engine wrong motorcycle. And I mean that in a supportive, humble I love H-D kinda way. I really do -

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
My friend had a 1100 Honda Shadow, what a POS it couldn't keep up with my Triumph 900 Triple on the highway - and I had my wife on the back ! Yes, they'll run forever but if forever is that damn slow I'll take faster and blows up in two years - except my Triumph 900 Triple still runs perfect, after 24 years. This is the difference between depressing and inspiring - I wish I hadn't bought it To I'm keeping it forever - You can't easily measure the soul contained in a motorcycle, but I'm going to toss out the idea that the Triumphs and the V Rod ( and others ) have Soul in Spades, but some other brands ? NOT SO MUCH.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I know I am late to this conversation. I just looked at Harleys new efforts. I am pleased. They listened and responded. I did not see or over looked if anyone noticed the are going to put the engine on a cruiser. And it looks bad ass. I mean 6 speed. No valve adjustments. The 1250 lives on. If they build that cruiser. I will look at trading seriously. Congrats to Harley. It cant be easy trying all these new projects. Live wire etc. They never said a word about the 1250 until recently. They have answered us.
Rob

·
Registered
174 Posts
I want to ride one of the Pan America's, but they're too damn ugly to own.

So who's going to be the first person to swap one of these into a Vrod?

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Jay F - I'll be the first for the swap into a V Rod if H-D will donate one of the pre-production engines to me ( or a brand new engine off the assembly line if they got that up & running yet ) I'm waiting H-D ! They could be like GM selling crate engines all day long to V Rodders ! (y) :D

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Looks like it may come close to fitting with the 60 degree, rear mount etc. but just imagine all the B/S to get it to work - ECM, wiring, fuel system oil & cooling hoses, etc. Yea, a lot of work for sure - I think I'll stick with building a new Revo for myself got all the tools and parts just need head gaskets and H-D never gives engines to anyone anyway -😥 😅

·
Registered
887 Posts
Isn't the new engine a integral part of the frame?

·
MISSISSIPPI KID
1,352 Posts
I guess a lot of us Turbo Vrod guys with the Trask putting down a very consistent 160 plus HP w/110 torque can’t get too excited over a reported 150. But, as most of you agree it seems, HD is finally moving into the 21st century!

·
Registered
70 Posts
At the end of the day ( or the decade ) the history of reliability for these new Revolution Max engines will be the true measure of their merit and the vindication of their somewhat doubtful at this point cylinder and piston ring engineering - you can get another 35 Hp out of a V Rod Revolution 1250 with not a lot of actual machining - yes it's still heavy but for the average guy ? With an ADV bike ? Probably not a useful end user of the " New Technology " to get it to this Hp level. Yes I like new technology, yes this is the follow up to our 1250cc Revolution engine that we've been talking about for 5 years but let me know if you think ANYONE can use 150 Hp off road OR 150 Hp on road with an ADV bike with ADV tires. Sorry, I don't see it. This is a perfect Revolution replacement engine, it belongs on a dedicated STREET bike, not an On/Off road compromise bike. I've jumped 250 Lb 400 cc 4 stroke bikes 85' + You will never, ever use 150 Hp off road, unless maybe you're running the Dakar Rally, and that's less than .0001% of the riders on the planet, maybe. Right engine, maybe, wrong bike for sure. I rest my case. Put it in a power cruiser H-D with iron cylinder liners and we'll talk.
hello streetrodracer! I remember that you were planning to put a 1250 engine on your VRSCR, did you finally went through the swap? just wondering... in your opinion, could it be at least theoretically possible to put a MAX engine (god forbid the 737 MAX flop on 2 wheels...) on a Vrod?

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Yes I'm still working on the 1250 got pretty much all the parts & tools now just waiting for the right down time for the bike to do the job, maybe when our summer shows up in another month when it rains everyday and its 90 degrees, 90 % humidity here in FL ( Our winter for riding ), then I'll pull it down and apart. - it would be interesting to get a " Revolution Max " 1250 engine and see what it would take to get it to physically fit a V Rod, I can only imagine a lot of work plus the interfacing and integration of the ECU and electronics. Daunting task I'm sure. But the engine is the logical follow on to our original Revolution engine. Might be better to wait and see it H-D creates a new cruiser with it first, see how reliable it is. With the current economic outlook everything's going the wrong direction for the US and H-D so it might be a long wait - like maybe the next administration or beyond but that's just a guess. A guy might be able to get one from a crashed Pan America and see what fits that'd be fun ! Or just mod the PA frame to be a power cruiser that would be easier 😎

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,093 Posts
I want to ride one of the Pan America's, but they're too damn ugly to own.

So who's going to be the first person to swap one of these into a Vrod?
Just the right amount of ugly for me.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jay F
21 - 40 of 44 Posts