Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new '06 R was delivered yesterday and already I have complaints about it. First, the kick stand ("jiffy" stand in MoCo-ese) allows the bike to list to port some 20 degrees when deployed. That's great if you're parking the bike on an off-camber hillside but makes bringing the bike upright more work than I'm used to doing on other bikes (yeah, this is my first HD). How do we fix this? I searched the forum and found most were looking for a shorter stand but my sense is that it needs to be lengthened a couple inches by either cutting and welding a piece in the middle of the stand, or by welding a spacer to the foot of the stand. Or possibly by heating and bending the stand so the foot touches down sooner. Has anyone come up with a solution - or am I the only one to find this bothersome?

Second problem is that my boot wants to rest lightly on the rear brake lever; just enough to drag the pads on the rear rotor if I'm not careful. I suppose the solution is to be careful - but just in case there's an adjustment or other easy fix that would allow me to be my usual careless self, I thought I would ask the experts.

Would appreciate any ideas or suggestions. Thanks,

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Click Here for a How-To on lowering the Rear Brake Pedal. Worked for me and real easy!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Re: the rear brake lever, we just used a butane torch to heat it, then bent the lever carefully enough to get the right location. Just an alternativem fwiw

greg

·
NSFW
1,984 Posts
Fire!

:vrodforu: :vrodforu:

Bill,

You had better avoid resting your foot on the right side peg with your toe over the brake pedal. That is where your pant leg will be resting against a heat shield and it will burn a hole in it. Now, there is a recall on the R to add an inner heat shield at the offending spot. I don't know if your bike has it installed. I also don't know if it solves the problem. I have gotten used to putting my heal on the heal pad behind the peg. I haven't burned anything since.

Doc

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
For holding the bike upright to work on it, or to park in in a tight space in a garage full of other toys ( oh to wish, huh ) use a Baxley Wheel Chock. Roll the bike into the chock and just let go, it won't fall over. I saw one of these on a trailer and the guy from Baxley put a big ZX-12 in the chock, picked up the tongue of the trailer and proceeded to shake the trailer all over the place, up and down, side to side. The bike wasn't even tied down and it did not fall over. They run just under $300 and will make servicing the bike much easier.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Just Plain Bill said:
My new '06 R was delivered yesterday and already I have complaints about it. First, the kick stand ("jiffy" stand in MoCo-ese) allows the bike to list to port some 20 degrees when deployed. That's great if you're parking the bike on an off-camber hillside but makes bringing the bike upright more work than I'm used to doing on other bikes (yeah, this is my first HD). How do we fix this? I searched the forum and found most were looking for a shorter stand but my sense is that it needs to be lengthened a couple inches by either cutting and welding a piece in the middle of the stand, or by welding a spacer to the foot of the stand. Or possibly by heating and bending the stand so the foot touches down sooner. Has anyone come up with a solution - or am I the only one to find this bothersome?QUOTE]

Initially the JiffyStand did not instill confidence in me either.

I thought the kickstand was loose in the bushings, (a common problem) but in removing it and looking at it, there is a tang on the kickstand, that fits in a detent on the bike, ONLY when the stand is fully deployed. So when you initially allow the bike to lean on the stand it makes contact, and then it seems to go another few degrees of lean, and that is the tang lining up with the detent. That now prevents any rotation of the kickstand, and it is "locked" in the down position. You can confirm it by trying to rock the bike, while the weight is on the stand.

I have no cure for the amount of lean, short of using any of the many kick stand support devices that are available after market. It does lean more than my sport bike when it is on it's stand.

You may want to pick up some of the kickstand bushings, mine had about 0.006" wear on a bike with less than 2K miles, and I don't do a lot of short trip bar hopping! The dealer will most likely not have the bushings, you can get them on this site, as well as "how to" instructions.

In regard to the brake, I have just learned to keep my foot canted outward on the peg, and not touching the brake pedal.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Initially the JiffyStand did not instill confidence in me either.

I have no cure for the amount of lean, short of using any of the many kick stand support devices that are available after market. It does lean more than my sport bike when it is on it's stand.

You may want to pick up some of the kickstand bushings, mine had about 0.006" wear on a bike with less than 2K miles, and I don't do a lot of short trip bar hopping! The dealer will most likely not have the bushings, you can get them on this site, as well as "how to" instructions.

In regard to the brake, I have just learned to keep my foot canted outward on the peg, and not touching the brake pedal.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input. My concern is with the bike leaning 20 degrees while a friend's HD bagger only leans 17 degrees and my VStrom just 15 degrees. I'm recovering from rotator cuff surgery and hauling the R upright from that far over is hard on my shoulder and doesn't seem necessary. I bought a used VRod jiffy stand on eBay today and plan to lengthen it to about an inch longer than the R stand and weld a chunk of square tube to the foot of the stand which should combine to raise the bike up to a more manageable angle.

·
Dreaming of Twisties
593 Posts
When you go to lift the bike off the jiffy stand - turn the handlebars to full lock to the right. The bike will stand up quite a bit before you do anything else. Plus, it takes considerably less effort to lift the bike up.

Learned that from a HD dealer while shopping for a bike for my wife.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Speedy818 said:
When you go to lift the bike off the jiffy stand - turn the handlebars to full lock to the right. The bike will stand up quite a bit before you do anything else. Plus, it takes considerably less effort to lift the bike up.

Excellent tip Speedy. I tried it and the bike does come up and every little bit helps. I also find that bumping the side of the bike with my hip is helpful. I'll still experiment with the VRod jiffy stand when it comes in. Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vrod jiffy stand for Street Rod

Just in case anyone else is so impetuous (foolish) as to buy a VRod jiffystand assuming it will fit a Street Rod, save your money. It wont. And not just that it's shorter between the frame and the ground (fully expected) but the Street Rod stand is almost an inch longer where it enters the frame mounting boss. Think of the stand as being an upside down capital L with the horizontal bar being the part fitting into the frame boss. The R's bar is an inch longer than the VRSC's horizontal bar). There are other design differences that could be overcome-- I don't see any way around the extra length at the top. These truly are very special bikes.:wazzup:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Yeah, the jiffy stand really sucks. I have several 4 x 4 blocks of wood nailed together I use when parking my bike in the garage.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Philthy said:
For holding the bike upright to work on it, or to park in in a tight space in a garage full of other toys ( oh to wish, huh ) use a Baxley Wheel Chock. Roll the bike into the chock and just let go, it won't fall over. I saw one of these on a trailer and the guy from Baxley put a big ZX-12 in the chock, picked up the tongue of the trailer and proceeded to shake the trailer all over the place, up and down, side to side. The bike wasn't even tied down and it did not fall over. They run just under $300 and will make servicing the bike much easier.

A much less expensive solution for working on the bike is to buy a cheap motorcycle lift. I know a lot of people will disagree with me about cheap lifts but I bought one at Harbor Freight for $59.00. It works great.

You just slide it under the bike on the non-jiffy stand side and pump it a few times. The bike will stand straight up without lifting off the ground. It is very stable and will not fall over. I couldn't even push it over with considerable effort.

If you want it off the ground, it works great for that too. It is also stable but I like to add some ratcheting tie downs, 2 in the front, 2 in the back, so I can spin the wheels aggressively while polishing them.

As far as getting it off the stand:

SPEEDY818 said:

:them: I learned the exact thing from an HD dealership! It works very well. Also, when I'm parked in my own garage, I use an old wood kitchen cutting board under the stand. It changes the angle a few degrees.

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts
I used the handlebar to the right when I bought a Gold Wing back in '90. Somehow the R doesn't feel as heavy as a Wing or a Glide. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts