Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to purchase a used Night Rod in the next few months and have been reading a lot of post the past few weeks, but I'm still lacking enough information to pull the trigger. The sales guys at the local Harley dealer only want to talk about the 2011 in their showroom. Can anyone direct me to a comparison chart of features covering the many models offered over the years. I am specifically leaning towards the 2006~2008 VRSCD(X). I know I want mid controls or at least the ability to convert to mid controls (can all Night Rods be converted to mid controls? require exhaust change for some models?). I would like the larger gas tank (3.7 -> 5?), but not sure of the year it started ('07?). What is meant by VRSCDX vs. VRSCD? Any years/versions to avoid? Best value under $9000?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Dan

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
i had a 06 D, it came with mid controls 3.7 gal tank and highway pegs.i think (not 100%) but i think the 2006 and 2007 was the only year for the "D" and the only years for the mids, other than the R model. kosman offers a mid control setup for most any model but i don't know the exhaust options are for the mids offered by kosman.

·
Registered
158 Posts
D"X" is the Night Rod "Special" or NRS as commonly referred to.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Check out the for sale section on the forum. I think you will get abetter deal on here then the dealer.

Take your time and read some of the classifieds and get afeel to what is going on.

This time of year you can get a great deal.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The VRSCD with mid-controls was made from '06-08. The '08 had the 1250 engine and the 5 gallon tank. If you can find one it's a great bike!

·
Registered
158 Posts
The 07 and newer have some differences over the 06 and previous models. You want an 07 or newer. My wife has an 07' NRS with mid controls the previous owner installed. They are made by Rizoma and are real high quality. I think they retail for about $1,300. Her 07 does have a 5gal tank. Took us over 5 months to find a clean V Rod in Black.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Harley-Davidson's profilation of this bike
When you get right down to it, this just might be the blackest sheep of them all.

General information
Model: Harley-Davidson VRSCDX Night Rod Special
Year: 2007
Category: Custom / cruiser
Rating: 75.1 out of 100. Show full rating and compare with other bikes
Price as new (MSRP): US$ 16495. Prices depend on country, taxes, accessories, etc.
Engine and transmission
Displacement: 96.00 ccm (5.86 cubic inches)
Engine type: V2, four-stroke
Torque: 108.48 Nm (11.1 kgf-m or 80.0 ft.lbs) @ 7000 RPM
Compression: 11.3:1
Bore x stroke: 100.1 x 72.1 mm (3.9 x 2.8 inches)
Fuel system: Injection. Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection
Cooling system: Liquid
Gearbox: 5-speed
Transmission type,
final drive: Belt
Fuel consumption: 4.93 litres/100 km (20.3 km/l or 47.71 mpg)
Greenhouse gases: 114.4 CO2 g/km. (CO2 - Carbon dioxide emission)
Exhaust system: Chrome, straight-shot dual pipes; brushed mufflers with black end caps and black shields
Chassis, suspension, brakes and wheels
Rake (fork angle): 34.0°
Front tyre dimensions: 120/70-ZR19
Rear tyre dimensions: 240/40-R18
Front brakes: Single disc. 4-piston
Rear brakes: Single disc. 4-piston
Physical measures and capacities
Dry weight: 291.7 kg (643.0 pounds)
Weight incl. oil, gas, etc: 306.6 kg (676.0 pounds)
Seat height: 668 mm (26.3 inches) If adjustable, lowest setting.
Overall length: 2,398 mm (94.4 inches)
Ground clearance: 107 mm (4.2 inches)
Wheelbase: 1,707 mm (67.2 inches)
Fuel capacity: 18.92 litres (5.00 gallons)
Other specifications
Color options: Two-tone black denim and vivid black (new), two-tone vivid black and black denim (new)
Comments: Revolution engine.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts

·
Nate B
36 Posts
I have am 08 D and I love it. I put foreword controls on it. The sundowner seat I put on sits ahead a little. I bought one of the miller lite bikes. I am very happy with it. I have a lot of mods going right now, exhaust, intake and am putting on a power commander.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Love my 06D and thought the 5gal tank would be the 1st mod , but really it will be the last if it even gets done at all. Displacement is not an issue either but the rear Tire going to the 240 is something as well.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
I plan to purchase a used Night Rod in the next few months and have been reading a lot of post the past few weeks, but I'm still lacking enough information to pull the trigger. The sales guys at the local Harley dealer only want to talk about the 2011 in their showroom. Can anyone direct me to a comparison chart of features covering the many models offered over the years. I am specifically leaning towards the 2006~2008 VRSCD(X). I know I want mid controls or at least the ability to convert to mid controls (can all Night Rods be converted to mid controls? require exhaust change for some models?). I would like the larger gas tank (3.7 -> 5?), but not sure of the year it started ('07?). What is meant by VRSCDX vs. VRSCD? Any years/versions to avoid? Best value under $9000?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Dan
I have an 06 D with mid controls that I want to swap out with someone who has forward controls... If you can't find a Rod with mid's PM me and we can set up a swap... Thanks...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have an 06 D with mid controls that I want to swap out with someone who has forward controls... If you can't find a Rod with mid's PM me and we can set up a swap... Thanks...
So noted!

Right now my first choice is '08D, if I could add mid controls.
Second choice is '07D with the larger fuel tank.
Third choice is '06D in Black Denim. Is it possible to convert to larger fuel tank on the '06D???

Thanks,
Dan

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Tank conversion is easy but takes a little time to do ( two to pick from UE and ricks. Lots of info on both on here). I have a 2006 with the mids and I'm fine with them, but all my motorcycles have had mid-like controls. With the forward pegs the horn pushes my knee out of line, so I moved it. I can change the 180 rear tire at home, the 240+ you need a machine (at least to remove it) as it a very low profile and has little flex to help you. The nearby triumph dealer would not change it for us, but he did pop the bead.

Which ever you get you will enjoy, many have said it not instant love, but they grow on you!

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
So noted!

Right now my first choice is '08D, if I could add mid controls.
Second choice is '07D with the larger fuel tank.
Third choice is '06D in Black Denim. Is it possible to convert to larger fuel tank on the '06D???

Thanks,
Dan
Yes, you can convert to the 5 gal tank, I will be doing it on my 06D... Ricks' or UE make's the tanks for conversion...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts