Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Live Free Or Die
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just picked up an '06 yellow pearl Street Rod, and am excited about making this awesome bike my own. I have owned an '86 FXR for over 20 years that I have done just about everything to it's EVO short of bolting on a turbo. It makes an honest +80hp @5000rpm on the dyno but it's getting long in the tooth and I need to retire it from an everyday ride. Not to mention but I will anyway--a more comfortable ride with better handling.

A bit about the new bike:
1. Bone stock, as far as I know, 1300 miles.
2. Stored for 3+ years
3. misses/stutters/sputters at all rpm. Rpm will vary 100-200rpm under constant throttle. Consequently it annoyingly jerks forward/rearward while riding. Not enough to hurt the engine (I think) but enough to royally piss me off. Besides, this thing should start up and hold steady at any rpm. FWIW, I knew of this problem b4 purchasing, in fact I'd like to think that I used it to my advantage to getting the price I wanted.
4. I have only a 30" inseam, so the seat is higher than I'd like. I cut my teeth riding dirt bikes, so dealing with the balancing isn't that big of a deal, but would like to have the seat a bit lower if the mod is not too extensive.

So, as you can see I got a bit pf a project on my hands. As for any mods, here's my plan, of course subject to change at a minutes notice!

1. Get the engine to run correctly in the stock configuration.
2. Lower the seat height.
3. Start off performance mods with new pipes, air cleaner. Need to learn about "topless", I'm assuming no airbox.
4. Buy a tuner. I'm not a big hp guy, but I do like gobs of bottom-end torque.
5. New cams--prolly needed for the afomentioned low rpm torque wish.
6. Get a windshield. Hey, I'm a 50 year old geezer that has cleaned more than my share of bugs from my teeth!
7. Saddle bags. Not much out there, but I'm tired of slinging on a backpack.

Any comments and or advice would be appreciated. What say you?
:notworth:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
+1 on the recommendation to search the forum - even though the search function may drive you nuts, there's a lot of good information out there.

Obviously getting the engine straightened out is the first thing ... should be a lot of people here who know a lot more about that than me. If you can't find anything useful with a search, you might want to post something up in the "V-Rod General" section.

I also have a 30" inseam and no issues with the seat height, so I guess it's really personal preference. The problem with the R saddle is that the shape of the seat pan doesn't make modification very easy. There are several threads in here about R saddle mods, and a few companies that can probably mod the saddle for you to move you down a bit. I think the Sundowner also does this, but it moves you forward as well. I'm about 6'2" (short legs) so I didn't want that. I eventually got a Corbin saddle, which is expensive but a great improvement.

As for performance mods, you're correct that almost everyone seems to start with intake, fuel management, and exhaust. There are as many opinions on the "best" exhaust as there are available exhausts. One thing about the R is that it runs very lean in stock form. I noticed that mine ran much better with a Power Commander and the stock exhaust than it did without the Power Commander. You might find it worthwhile to get a high-flow air filter (check the "for sale - parts" section of the classifieds) and a fuel manager even if you haven't decided on an exhaust or don't have the cash to pull the trigger yet.

Two other things:

1) there are a lot of "best oil" threads but I'm sold on synthetic. The bike just seems to run cooler and shift better.
2) the shop manual and parts catalog are both really useful. I use the parts catalog a lot just because it has exploded pictures of how everything goes together. I got them off eBay.

Anyway, welcome to the Brother/Sisterhood of the Red-Headed Step Children .. the R is a great bike.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome, and congrats on the purchase! I am new here as well...just a few weeks in on my R and I love it...I would def. suggest lowering the bike, it looks so much better IMO, plus would lower your ride height. Mine's orange, but I love the yellow. Good luck!

P.S. did the bike run that way prior to be stored, or after? Could obviously be as simple as some bad fuel where it shouldn't be...maybe some tarnish on the throttle bodys.

·
Live Free Or Die
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice!

+1 on the recommendation to search the forum - even though the search function may drive you nuts, there's a lot of good information out there.

Obviously getting the engine straightened out is the first thing ... should be a lot of people here who know a lot more about that than me. If you can't find anything useful with a search, you might want to post something up in the "V-Rod General" section.

I also have a 30" inseam and no issues with the seat height, so I guess it's really personal preference. The problem with the R saddle is that the shape of the seat pan doesn't make modification very easy. There are several threads in here about R saddle mods, and a few companies that can probably mod the saddle for you to move you down a bit. I think the Sundowner also does this, but it moves you forward as well. I'm about 6'2" (short legs) so I didn't want that. I eventually got a Corbin saddle, which is expensive but a great improvement.

As for performance mods, you're correct that almost everyone seems to start with intake, fuel management, and exhaust. There are as many opinions on the "best" exhaust as there are available exhausts. One thing about the R is that it runs very lean in stock form. I noticed that mine ran much better with a Power Commander and the stock exhaust than it did without the Power Commander. You might find it worthwhile to get a high-flow air filter (check the "for sale - parts" section of the classifieds) and a fuel manager even if you haven't decided on an exhaust or don't have the cash to pull the trigger yet.

Two other things:

1) there are a lot of "best oil" threads but I'm sold on synthetic. The bike just seems to run cooler and shift better.
2) the shop manual and parts catalog are both really useful. I use the parts catalog a lot just because it has exploded pictures of how everything goes together. I got them off eBay.

Anyway, welcome to the Brother/Sisterhood of the Red-Headed Step Children .. the R is a great bike.
Thank you to you and my other long lost stepbrother Mr. Prince for responding...I've been scouring this site since I ran across it, there is a ton of great info here. Interestingly, I have found that other members also have similar issues with the way my bike runs. The fuel flange problem--would that be applicable to my bike? Other threads seem to infer it was a problem with earlier models so I might have another issue. I'm gonna change the plugs, check the fuel filter (haven't found that yet), and run a tank of fuel with injector cleaner though. Then start by swapping out the injectors and coils. The battery is old, prolly original and measures 12.4V which seems to me a bit low so that may need to go as well.

The current seat must go, it is a POS IMO. You'd think that HD, considerating their lack of development effort in their engines would at least be able to make a comfortable seat. I have had and enjoyed Corbins in the past on previous bikes that will be my fall back although springing for a KonTour is an enticing option.

As for oil I go with what I know works, and that would be Mobil 1 synthetic. 20W50 in the summer, 10W40 in the spring/fall--summers are rather short here in the northeast. I know folks who swear by Amsol, especially for their diesel pick ups but I never made the leap with my bikes or my truck.

regards,

RF

·
Live Free Or Die
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:(:(
Welcome, and congrats on the purchase! I am new here as well...just a few weeks in on my R and I love it...I would def. suggest lowering the bike, it looks so much better IMO, plus would lower your ride height. Mine's orange, but I love the yellow. Good luck!

P.S. did the bike run that way prior to be stored, or after? Could obviously be as simple as some bad fuel where it shouldn't be...maybe some tarnish on the throttle bodys.
And I love the orange! That would be my 1st choice.
Dunno about the performace prior to storage, the previous's owners widow sold it to me. :( I'm hoping for the tarnish/bad gas/fouled plug solution although expect it to be a different problem.

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
There are several things to look at with the R Make sure all the ground conections are clean and tight on the top of the cylinder heads. Make sure the ring terminals are crimped tight. Make sure the harness has slack so the engine can move. Make sure you get the heat shield recall done or you will be buying new pants. Check for the clunk, a loose fork nut condition. Some have had brake problems so keep an eye out for pulsing.There are several things that cause surges but I think starting with the fuel system is a good idea since it has been sitting for so long.
A programmer and a good tune will change your bike for the better, very lean from the factory. Synthetic oil is a must. As far as power goes, bottom end tq, forget it, this engines like to be above 4k rpms. With a good 2into1 pipe, high flow filter and a good tune my R makes 118 rwhp an 81 ftlb tq. I would start there and then ride it for a while. Keep the rpms up and you'll love it. Several folks have lowered theirs with shocks and fork spring kits, you will have to do the dreaded search for that one.
Oh yeah, the stock Dunlops suck a**. R stand for rare, welcome to the "that's not a real Harley" club

·
pronounced "shane"
449 Posts
Welcome

My inseam is even shorter than yours, 28". I did three things: 1. got shorter shocks, 2. got boots with big heels, and 3. took my bike in to a seat guy who shaved it down, added a gel pad insert, and altered the seat pan a bit (there's some nasty plastic hot spots that can be cut out of it). There's a pic in my gallery with a side shot of my bike; you can see that the seat is much lower than stock and actually has some support behind my butt for when I lay on the gas.

Regarding aftermarket seats - they fit some, they don't fit some. You can start buying aftermarkets, and then sell them in the classifieds when you decide they really weren't made with your butt in mind, or you can get it done right the first time and never have to worry about it again. It'll cost you, but then again, so will buying multiple aftermarket seats. Anything you do to the seat will alter your reach to the handlebars. A search for that will reveal some threads on what some of us have done to bring them closer (or you could just look at my signature to see what I did).

Regarding lowering the bike - there's a thread or two out there that covers a bolt-on slam kit. Cost was under $100. If memory serves my Works Performance shocks were around $400. Had the slam kit been available when I got my bike, I might have opted for that rather then shock swap. Found the link for the slam kit.
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117841

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
...you have passed the intelligence test by buying an "R", congratulations. I've got the "R" detachable windshield for sale in the classifieds. You can pm me or direct email at [email protected] to discuss.

Enjoy,

John

PS: If you want to see the windshield on my "R" check my picture gallery. Nothing wrong with the shield, very good wind coverage, I just wanted a new look for the bike. And yes, I'm eating bugs now....

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
:vrodforu:

Get the engine sorted and I think the comfort mods will move up the list.

As a former FXLR evo rider and still owner of an evo FL, I know you'll enjoy the greater power from the revo engine. You'll have more power on tap in stock form than you had with the worked FXR. But remember, think Ducati not Harley when riding it. The engine loves rpms. The relaxed shift point is higher than the evo redline.

Oh, and since you have an R, you will actually be able to lean the bike without grinding anything. It is great.

·
Locktite Queen
2,037 Posts
The battery is old, prolly original and measures 12.4V which seems to me a bit low so that may need to go as well.

The current seat must go, it is a POS IMO. You'd think that HD, considerating their lack of development effort in their engines would at least be able to make a comfortable seat. I have had and enjoyed Corbins in the past on previous bikes that will be my fall back although springing for a KonTour is an enticing option.

As for oil I go with what I know works, and that would be Mobil 1 synthetic. 20W50 in the summer, 10W40 in the spring/fall--summers are rather short here in the northeast. I know folks who swear by Amsol, especially for their diesel pick ups but I never made the leap with my bikes or my truck.

regards,

RF
I have already completed the mods you're talking about.

Comfort
KonTour Seat (my R and now my Buell)
Lowered - 17in chromed Buell rims
Front Forks - Race Tech Cartridge Emulators
Rear Shocks - Works Performance 1 in shorter than stock

Performance
Tuner - ThunderMax
Filter - Amsoil
Oil - Amsoil
Topless
Pipe - Stock Can with V-Mod II baffles
Cams - Jones .440/.410
Heads - Vance & Hines port & polish

I switched to the Amsoil at 1000 miles and it runs cooler and shifter smoother.....

12.4V is correct for the battery when cold.....

·
Registered
116 Posts
As a former 86' FXR owner and current VRSCR owner, welcome!!!
I also have a short inseam (29"), but the Corbin close hollywood worked out very well for me with great back support. As someone who constantly rescues orphans, bikes that have been stored for years and are non runners I would concentrate on the fuel system.
The gas tanks and fuel delivery items are horrible when left stored for years.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
As a former 86' FXR owner and current VRSCR owner, welcome!!!
I also have a short inseam (29"), but the Corbin close hollywood worked out very well for me with great back support. As someone who constantly rescues orphans, bikes that have been stored for years and are non runners I would concentrate on the fuel system.
The gas tanks and fuel delivery items are horrible when left stored for years.

Nice before and after ;-)

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
...FYI - I've been looking for one of those VRSCR derby covers. Some guy had one on ebay for ~$100, finally got one (in my hands) for $~20 on ebay. Good things come to those who wait.

Cheers,

John (VRSCR forever)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Nice before and after ;-)
LOL! Actually you should have seen the before of the FXR! Nasty rust color paint, 21" front tire, uncomfortable buckhorn handlebars, foward controls and neglected...

·
Registered
186 Posts
06 with 1300 miles? That's like a dream!

Agree with Mr. BigBilly and Mr. BSANorton (and you) about the fuel system.

At least it's running.

I'd drain out all the gas and use it in the lawnmower.

Fill with some good quality gas. And add some Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas. Run a few tank fulls of that. I've had good luck with carbureted bikes and fuel injected pickups with the same problem; sitting to long, then running rough. Don't get any on any paint, it will eat it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.