Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I will be taking the vrscf apart to do some powder coating. Any part that are polished aluminum will be powdered black. Install a 26 tooth pulley. I am seriously considering installing a set of rotary cannon exhaust. Robert B will show up Saturday and we will start removing all the parts to be powderer coated. I will try to remember to take plenty of photos.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Zip lock bags and a sharpie make for easier reassembly... Good Luck..

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If any one has advice for potential problem areas please chime in.
Thanks in advance.
David Parker

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
If any one has advice for potential problem areas please chime in.
Thanks in advance.
David Parker
i suggest you keep robertB out of the budlight until after the work is complete.. i see many potential problems with a drunk robertB wrenching on your bike... just saying:hidesbeh:

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Robert B drinking, no way!
Got it on the lift tonight and the exhaust removed, and some of the other small stuff.
Too tired to do much tonight, went bird hunting today and walk 10,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Summer is kicking in soon and you're taking the bike apart..........

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Don't PC anything that's gonna get hot......

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It should be back together next weekend. The powder coating will be done this coming week. 26 tooth pulley is on its way and I will order the exhaust tomorrow. 28" smoke wagons in black, by Tailgunner.

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok a few notes here. When you buy a new bike check the bolts on everything. I have 1000 miles on this bike. I bought it with 7 miles on it last May. I have had very little time to ride because of work. Many of the bolts and screws were very loose. No reason to send out a bike in that condition.

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The front swing arm shaft had no neversieze on it at all.

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I,m not doing them now. I'm going to leave a little for contrast, if i don't like it I will do a little more later.

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I ordered the exhaust yesterday, they told me it would take about three weeks to get here. By then I will have the rest of the project done.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Yeah, they're supposed to check bolt tightness when they PDI the bike (SUPPOSED TO being the operative term here). When doing my SS bolt replacement, I musta used a gallon of blue locktite (both the hold AND lubricate the SS/Steel/Aluminum interface). I'm also in the habit of checking EVERYTHING the tech might have touched in any warranty service ticket. At this point, either the service manager himself performs the work with me "helping" (he's a friend of mine outside of work), or I just grab the parts from him and sign off on the ticket. Beats having to go back through and re-check everything myself.

While you have the bolts out - REPLACE THEM ALL with polished Stainless Steel. The stock galvanized crap will look like DOGSHIT in no time. Stainless is as addicting as chrome, with the added benefit of low/no maintenance, no bubbling/flaking/pitting. Alloyboltz has a good selection of metric kits, or just grab your parts book and head over to your commercial bolt supplier. I got tired of paying extra for show polished SS, and spending time on the buffing wheel has gotten kinda "meditative" for me. So I only use alloybolts for the hard-to-find stuff now.

If you're powdercoating everything that's silver (as I did, and THEN SOME), the SS fasteners make a great, subtle contrast...

Rick

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the info Rick.

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stainless steel bolt kit is on it's way!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts