Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm bound and determined to get rid of/cover up the burgandy pin stripe on my silver tins so while we were in town last night I picked up some satin black paint and a couple rolls of pin striping tape. I've done this before on my 03 Z06 when I painted the lower rear bumper satin black and it turned out amazing. I didnt get into any detail on it like this (just taped off the lower section) and didnt have plans on it for the vrod but in my curiosity to see what I could put together I came up with this. I'm not a super huge fan of tribal or flames.... but together, I'm really digging it! It will be wet sanded to rough it up for the new paint then taped off really well and sprayed with several light coats. The dealer thought I had took my vette to a pro to do my bumper so if I take my time I'm not worried about it looking like a backyard paintjob lol. Anyways I've still got to adjust a little here and there but this is basically it and it will run into two stripes running down the rear fender as well unless I decide to continue the theme into the back. Will also be nightshading the taillight since I have the LED strip back there. Let me know what you think! :stilpoke:

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I know its not perfectly matched but I wasnt going to worry myself to death with it cause I dont want it to be. It will just make it look like a slapped on sticker. Think it adds SOME character which will make people ask "who painted this???" :D

You might have to use a little imagination to see whats going to be black and what will be left silver since I have taped it off yet but you get the idea. I left part of my center line tape on and have some overlap that needs trimmed but it was 10:30 last night and the wife was begging me to come to bed LOL

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I know exactly what you mean. Somethin about me just likes things to be symmetrical BUT I dont want the flames PERFECTLY symmetrical if you get what I'm saying. Wanted them even, but obviously done by hand and not like it was some machine cut stencil laid on and sprayed over.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it finished the other week. Ran my stripes onto the rear fender and I sprayed taillight with some VHT nightshades. Wouldnt normally do that since it really cuts down your visibilty but I have the LED strips so no worries :D

Have since lowered it 1" front and back. Looks KILLER.

Up close you'd never know it was Krylon Satin Black!! lol

Attachments

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Got it finished the other week. Ran my stripes onto the rear fender and I sprayed taillight with some VHT nightshades. Wouldnt normally do that since it really cuts down your visibilty but I have the LED strips so no worries :D

Have since lowered it 1" front and back. Looks KILLER.

Up close you'd never know it was Krylon Satin Black!! lol
I love it.More than if you would have hired someone else to do it.
I too am a spray bomb Bandito.I've been paint w sptay cans since I was a kid.
I'd like to see more picks of what you did.

·
Banned
2,209 Posts
I love it.More than if you would have hired someone else to do it.
I too am a spray bomb Bandito.I've been paint w sptay cans since I was a kid.
I'd like to see more picks of what you did.
I'll send you my tins this winter...see what you can do to get rid of that god awful R swoop on the sides of the airbox cover.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've done a bit of spray painting in the past just fooling around so experience helped lol but I picked up a couple cans of satin black Krylon and a couple rolls of pin striping tape cause I hated the burgandy pin striping on my tins.

The first pic I posted is what I came up with after playing around for a bit. I initially just wanted a horseshoe type stripe to cover up the old pin stripe but decided it was too plain and would stick out like crazy if I didnt get it perfect and decided I'd see what I could come up with as far as incorporating some flames or something of that nature. Came up with that tribal/flame design and was really impressed with it which is a first lol so I taped it off, wet sanded, shot a couple light coats of adhesion promoter, then several LIGHT coats of the satin black until I had full coverage. Waited for it to dry then peeled it all back like a kid on christmas morning :D

The rear fender was a piece of cake. Just ran a center line and two stripes. Had to go wide to cover up the stock pin striping and V'ed it in under the taillight and since I had some left over VHT nightshades I wet sanded the taillight, shot some adhesion promoter then several coats of vht, let dry, wet sanded, several coats of clear, let dry, wet sand again, then polished it to a nice shine. Turned out much better than I had hoped for!

Thanks guys! Will get more pics of the bike after I wash it. It really needs it after all the night riding I've been doing lately. It looks like a bug grave yard lol

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.