Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The last couple months I have been working with Tim Doherty from Doherty Machine on getting a line of V-Rod parts rolling. The main priorities right now are increasing the structural rigidity of the engine cases. The oil pan is just the first part offered to do this. There are other parts already prototyped waiting on final approval to be released. There will be a 300+hp V-Rod soon and maybe more.

Item Description:

-Precision CNC Machined from solid billet 6061-T6.
-Pan rail is 5/8 thick and gusseted in all areas.
-When installed will not allow the crankcase area to flex or move.
-Extremely rigid, from computer analysis is 4x stronger than the cast pan.
-Precision fit

.500" deeper pan will give you additional 1/2 quart capacity.
1.0" deeper pan will give you additional 1 quart capacity.

Oil pans will include new mounting fasteners and new magnetic oil drain plug. *** Fasteners will be high strength zinc plated parts NOT the black oxide in the pictures. This is being done for rust prevention and was a pic mistake.
------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can tell by reading the description above this oil pan's goal is to increase structural rigidity of the engine case. Avoiding case flex improves bearing alignment in high stress application. Most engine case failures in the past started when the bearing were allowed to move blocking the oil passages therefore starving the main and rod bearings followed by the entire top-end of the engine.

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
i hate this forum

that totally badass

beautiful

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Very nice indeed. Thanks for this Ken.

Looks like some beautiful, well thought out workmanship :notworth:

I'll be in touch.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Looks excellent, too bad I just swapped mine out for a Black one.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
sweet baby jesus!!!!

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
ken,
any idea how much support this gives compared to the engine brace? more/less or if they work good together?

·
Trouble Maker
1,078 Posts
Anyone ever considered cooling fins on the bottom of these? Look's bad ass. Jim

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Looks nice, but is it needed?

I'm not racing but do get on it from time to time. Nor am I planning to do any engine mods other than a fueler, but I'd like the engine to last a long time and be reliable.

Is there that much flex in the stock Revo cases? Is a larger oil capacity needed?

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is there that much flex in the stock Revo cases? Is a larger oil capacity needed?
Most major engine failures seem to originate from case movement or plain ole stupidity of expecting too much out of the stock case.

Oil capacity increase is negligible by itself. Most racers would still run 5qts in a deeper pan to lower the surface level of the oil to decrease hydrodynamic drag on the crankshaft.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
ken,
any idea how much support this gives compared to the engine brace? more/less or if they work good together?
Looks nice, but is it needed?

I'm not racing but do get on it from time to time. Nor am I planning to do any engine mods other than a fueler, but I'd like the engine to last a long time and be reliable.

I really doubt that the pan alone will provide any additional support to the crank journals. But this pan in conjunction with the Fitzgerald brace and larger studs is obviously a plus.

400$ for a shiny pan is not a good addition if you are running a stock engine and no major mods.

This would be a small addition to a long list of mods when going over 200HP...am I getting this right?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Very nice looking. And as a bonus, I doubt that anyone will accidentally strip out the drain plug threads with this bad boy.
I guarantee the same people that strip the cast pan will strip the billet pan,or a steel pan,or a plastic pan,or a ...........................

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
I guarantee the same people that strip the cast pan will strip the billet pan,or a steel pan,or a plastic pan,or a ...........................
You know I don't think the stripping is caused by going nutz...I really think they screwed up the drain plug and too many of the threads go all the way through...not enough of the plug threads actully touch the pan when all the way in...

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
First oil change indicates that it may have something to do with over torquing at the factory, or maybe lack of a gasket that requires repeat hight torque to get a seal.

After the first oil change, I started using a nylon washer.

·
Registered
276 Posts
ken,
We are and have been making a "steel" stud girdle for some time, that is in use on 4 race bikes extemely accurate fitment, cannot shift, move or flex, and are now availabe and in stock. I'm sure Ken will be posting pics and a accurate desciption soon. Highly recommended for performance builds.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
So there will be a steel version as well?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts